Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Really worried about INHUMAN, you guys

Sales data for April recently came out, and the big new Inhuman initiative that is destined to be as big a deal as The Avengers and a bigger deal than The X-Men only sold 58,309 copies to retailers. For a first issue, this really has me worried. Personally, I'm blaming Matt Fraction, who must have poisoned the book. His unprofessional bailing out must have weakened retailer confidence and led to such embarrassing sales for a first issue.

Luckily, Marvel knows what retailers want better than they do and stuffed the entire first issue into all copies of Amazing Spider-Man #1. They'll make people read Inhuman whether they want to or not, and that'll definitely boost sales and will in no way make readers and retailers resentful. I'm confident that through stunts-- I mean strategies like this, we can get sales back to where they should be, and make INHUMAN the success it deserves to be.

BANNED

Woah, those numbers are really really poor. Given the amount of marketing i was expecting it to break 100,000 easy. Axel and co must have been really shocked by those numbers hence shipping it with Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage! View Post
    Woah, those numbers are really really poor. Given the amount of marketing i was expecting it to break 100,000 easy. Axel and co must have been really shocked by those numbers hence shipping it with Spider-Man.
    Let's be real though, is a new franchise, this is the first real push they have ever gotten and certainly the writers dance must not have helped. Expecting it to do 100,000 when only Batman, events (and not even any more seeing last months sales) or specials in big franchises reach it is ridiculous.
    I hope that it can find its feet because I liked the first issue and I think the Inhumans deserve a book.

Astonishing Member

There was now way this book was going to be a huge hit without the Infinity/Inhumanity momentum.

yeah they kind of screwed the pooch after things got pushed back. They really needed that event.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Fraction didn't bail. He and editorial decided they wanted to tell two different stories, and he left the book amicably.

But the real problem, as said, was the delay in it coming out. It lost the momentum from Infinity and Inhumanity. I mean, hell, by the time the first issue came out, everyone was already looking forward to the next major-event-that-changes-everything-and-nothing-will-be-the-same-again-until-it-totally-becomes-the-same-again-because-it-always-does, Original Sin. Inhuman just has no real sense of immediacy, and for a book like this - a book that depends on people feeling that it's Important - that immediacy is necessary.

So the relatively weak sales are to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    There was now way this book was going to be a huge hit without the Infinity/Inhumanity momentum.
    Infinity and Inhumanity may have hurt it more than helped it. It did in my eyes, plus we already have mutants, why make more?

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Sales data for April recently came out, and the big new Inhuman initiative that is destined to be as big a deal as The Avengers and a bigger deal than The X-Men only sold 58,309 copies to retailers. For a first issue, this really has me worried. Personally, I'm blaming Matt Fraction, who must have poisoned the book. His unprofessional bailing out must have weakened retailer confidence and led to such embarrassing sales for a first issue.

Luckily, Marvel knows what retailers want better than they do and stuffed the entire first issue into all copies of Amazing Spider-Man #1. They'll make people read Inhuman whether they want to or not, and that'll definitely boost sales and will in no way make readers and retailers resentful. I'm confident that through stunts-- I mean strategies like this, we can get sales back to where they should be, and make INHUMAN the success it deserves to be.
    Fractions...bailing... was hardly unprofessional. It was a case of several professionals realizing something was not working.

What I believe troubles the book is a writer whom the marketplace does not know.
    Second to his lack of market presence, Soules first issue was downright terrible. The dialogue was laughably atrocious, the characters and situations stock and clichéd.

Third, the market doesn't really care about the inhumans and hasn't for quite sometime.

Fourth, Fraction... bailed, as you say, because Marvel wanted, and needed, a stock, clichéd book. One that wasn't too far afield from the editorial center. And Fraction, fresh from the very left FF, couldn't get behind that company line. Like when writers change but the story and solicit doesn't, this is a story that has no real writer, just someone to fill in the editorially created plotlines. Soule, for all the credit the board seems to give him, has no authorial voice. Reading Inhuman and Superman\Wonder Woman proves this to me. Terrible, clichéd drivel.

Inhuman deserves to fail, really, in order to show Marvel that natural story progression is better than forced storytelling.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DonWinslow View Post
    Fractions...bailing... was hardly unprofessional. It was a case of several professionals realizing something was not working.
    Pretty sure the OP is being facetious.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonWinslow View Post

What I believe troubles the book is a writer whom the marketplace does not know.
    Second to his lack of market presence, Soules first issue was downright terrible. The dialogue was laughably atrocious, the characters and situations stock and clichéd.

Third, the market doesn't really care about the inhumans and hasn't for quite sometime.

Fourth, Fraction... bailed, as you say, because Marvel wanted, and needed, a stock, clichéd book. One that wasn't too far afield from the editorial center. And Fraction, fresh from the very left FF, couldn't get behind that company line. Like when writers change but the story and solicit doesn't, this is a story that has no real writer, just someone to fill in the editorially created plotlines. Soule, for all the credit the board seems to give him, has no authorial voice. Reading Inhuman and Superman\Wonder Woman proves this to me. Terrible, clichéd drivel.

Inhuman deserves to fail, really, in order to show Marvel that natural story progression is better than forced storytelling.
    Then I dare you to read Swamp Thing, She-Hulk and Red lanterns from Soule. He has a voice alrighy
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Then I dare you to read Swamp Thing, She-Hulk and Red lanterns from Soule. He has a voice alrighy
    I've tried all three. If that's a voice, he's better off mute.

given all the delays and Joe's 50/50 return to the Darksiders franchise, hence leaving Marvel hanging and looking for a new artist. I don't have much hope for this series

it's promising to say the least, but when compared to classic well known characters I don't see much hope for Inhumans. I think it was a good idea to include Inhumans #1 inside Amazing Spider-Man #1 considering that Superior was 2013 book of the year both in sales and book of the year conversations, so if anything it's given the book a lot of exposure, but I don't think this book will sell much beyond the 6th issue

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

I hope this book does find its feet because I'd like to see Marvel managing to make it into a successful movie franchise.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    It must be difficult for him though, how is his "voice" meant to come across when the book appears to be completely editorially mandated?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    It must be difficult for him though, how is his "voice" meant to come across when the book appears to be completely editorially mandated?
    He's just trying to make a name now. After he has a name and money enough he can do his own things and he can be more than the contractor clean up crew. He has serious potential. I wish he would do a Dark horse book or his own Image book, that way he can develop his voice more
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47