Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by DonWinslow View Post
    Inhuman deserves to fail, really, in order to show Marvel that natural story progression is better than forced storytelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
    I've liked everything I've read from Charles Soule so far but this I don't know just seems so blatantly editorially driven that I have no desire to actually read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    well i think matt fraction deserves a lot of credit for not standing for this and charles soule deserves a raised eyebrow.
    I am genuinely curious to know what population of the CBR community treats "editorially driven" material as something to avoid automatically, regardless of the quality. It seems to me that editorially driven = poor story for many people when there isn't necessarily an inherent correlation. It may happen a lot of the time, but it's not automatic. At any rate, some stories start off bad but improve down the road, so for those who didn't like the first issue, wait and see. For those who want to continue let's see if their patience will be rewarded. I don't think it is for us to call for Inhuman to fail just to teach Marvel a lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    The fact that her cocoon looked nothing like the usual ones may have had something to do with Kamala's family not being affected.
    Or it may have been due to the fact that they stayed indoors and the mist never reached them. Kamala's egg-like cocoon may also signify that her Terrigenesis was on a different level; as I recall Wilson seemed to hint at it in one of the recent Cons.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Or it may have been due to the fact that they stayed indoors and the mist never reached them. Kamala's egg-like cocoon may also signify that her Terrigenesis was on a different level; as I recall Wilson seemed to hint at it in one of the recent Cons.
    I understood it as being that the mist would inevitably get you regardless of whether you were inside or outside. Plus, Kamala left her window open when she snuck out, so the mist would've gotten into the house from there if there were any potential Inhumans inside. The only way you get spared is by not having the genetic trigger needed for Terrigenesis.
    Last edited by Myetche; 05-12-2014 at 05:37 PM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Meh.
    I wasn't to keen on the faux-mutant concept to begin with, but the first issue was poor. And I generally like Soule's work.

The main villain's actions for instance made little sense. He went about looking for worthy Inhumans, but he killed that first guy in seconds without giving him any time to showcase his abilities. Presumably because he looked somewhat trollish. Because obviously Inhumans have a long history of being super-pretty. Just look at Triton or Karnak or Gorgon.

There's also the fact that prior to this book is was generally presented that anyone in the same bloodline would be affected by the Terrigen mists. The only exception that I can think of was in Ms. Marvel. But in Inhuman this was contradicted and it was suggested that even in the same family not everyone would go through the change.
    About the last point, I don't think it contradicted nothing yet .
    The only one who didn't went through the Terrigenesis was Gabby who everybody reminded us was pregnant. Since the process is pretty tough it wouldn't be so weird if it was different for her, it could be that the life of the baby is prioritized over the change of the mother. The only thing kinda like that I can remember is Black Bolt being exposed to the mist when he was still in the womb but I think his mother had gone through the Terrigenesis already.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray
    I am genuinely curious to know what population of the CBR community treats "editorially driven" material as something to avoid automatically, regardless of the quality. It seems to me that editorially driven = poor story for many people when there isn't necessarily an inherent correlation. It may happen a lot of the time, but it's not automatic. At any rate, some stories start off bad but improve down the road, so for those who didn't like the first issue, wait and see. For those who want to continue let's see if their patience will be rewarded. I don't think it is for us to call for Inhuman to fail just to teach Marvel a lesson.
    I agree.
    Last edited by SuperBeetle; 05-12-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Soule's one of my favorite Comic writers at the moment.. I've preordered the first 3 or so issues of Inhuman based "soulely" on Soule.

If it's claimed that it's due to a writer who doesn't have name recognition then i would blame the fans on that, for not exploring outside of the main books and embracing new talent (if name recognition is a reason, that is). As pretty much everything he's been working on has been greatly praised by those who do explore outside of the mainstream and have read those works. Niche books like Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Thunderbolts all have been amazing under his mighty pen... and She-Hulk is one of the most likeable books out there. Superman/Wonder Woman has been a bit more balanced in it's like/dislike but there does seem to be a lot of good stuff said about it, even those who might not like it overall usually have some positive things to say about even if they aren't feeling it. For me, that's been the only book he's writing for the big two in which it's been the most up and down because of the Superman/Wonder Woman romance but it's still good imo.

There's no way i'd accept Soule being to blame on this if there is a need for blame.
    Last edited by SXVA; 05-12-2014 at 07:54 PM.

i really enjoy Soule's work as well. i'm an Inhumans fan and no, they're not just plot devices or occasional FF guest stars either.

I think it's tremendously important for the readership to tell Marvel that just because they want something to be a success doesn't mean it's going to happen. If Marvel is telling us as their audience that they plan on using the Inhumans as a way to explore themes and metaphors that the X-Men have been covering for decades, and oh, by the way, this is a property they own the movie rights to - wink-wink - it's up to us as fans, or at least the fans that care, to say that we're having none of it. The collective shrug at the first issue of something so desperately wants to work should speak volumes to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I think it's tremendously important for the readership to tell Marvel that just because they want something to be a success doesn't mean it's going to happen. If Marvel is telling us as their audience that they plan on using the Inhumans as a way to explore themes and metaphors that the X-Men have been covering for decades, and oh, by the way, this is a property they own the movie rights to - wink-wink - it's up to us as fans, or at least the fans that care, to say that we're having none of it. The collective shrug at the first issue of something so desperately wants to work should speak volumes to them.
    Does it really have to be like that? I doubt anything will ever replace the X-Men.

Shouldn't attempts at trying things at least be given a chance? Trying to do something with the Inhumans in this instance.

If someone tried the issue and didn't like it then fair enough but to not even give it chance based on some kind of "taking a stand" seems a bit ummm what's the word... overly "enthusiastic" maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    Does it really have to be like that? I doubt anything will ever replace the X-Men.

Shouldn't attempts at trying things at least be given a chance? Trying to do something with the Inhumans in this instance.

If someone tried the issue and didn't like it then fair enough but to not even give it chance based on some kind of "taking a stand" seems a bit ummm what's the word... overly "enthusiastic" maybe?
    If they want to make something out of the Inhumans, why don't they do it on the Inhumans own merit instead of copying a formula that has worked for decades? Spider-Man didn't become a success because Stan Lee really wanted it to be one. The success happened organically through the character's inherent strength. Same with the X-Men. It originally didn't work until the formula was changed into something all new and all different.

If people have been collectively saying "meh" to the adventures of a guy who doesn't talk and his wife with prehensile hair for decades, I'm not sure the answer is to copy the X-Men's story. I gave it a chance - after all, the issue came for free with Amazing Spider-Man, and it isn't any good anyway. Not all properties are meant to be successes.

It's treated that way because there is an inherent correlation.

If they want to make something out of the Inhumans, why don't they do it on the Inhumans own merit instead of copying a formula that has worked for decades? Spider-Man didn't become a success because Stan Lee really wanted it to be one. The success happened organically through the character's inherent strength. Same with the X-Men. It originally didn't work until the formula was changed into something all new and all different.

If people have been collectively saying "meh" to the adventures of a guy who doesn't talk and his wife with prehensile hair for decades, I'm not sure the answer is to copy the X-Men's story. I gave it a chance - after all, the issue came for free with Amazing Spider-Man, and it isn't any good anyway. Not all properties are meant to be successes.
    Fair enough, you tried it and didn't like it. I can respect that.

I do see the point and think it's a valid one, in that it's a little too similar to the X-Men but i feel like it should at least be given a chance at the same time.

Well, and i'm a bit biased toward Soule writing it and wish him great success. (being one of my favs). I'm not that into the Inhumans as characters either (I like a few of them i guess), however... I suppose since a writer is on it that i like a lot that i have more invested in it than someone who isn't as familiar or likes as much.

I would've hoped that more people at least gave the first issue a chance than did is basically my lament.

Fair enough, you tried it and didn't like it. I can respect that.

I do see the point and think it's a valid one, in that it's a little too similar to the X-Men but i feel like it should at least be given a chance at the same time.

Well, and i'm a bit biased toward Soule writing it and wish him great success. (being one of my favs). I'm not that into the Inhumans as characters either (I like a few of them i guess), however... I suppose since a writer is on it that i like a lot that i have more invested in it than someone who isn't as familiar or likes as much.

I would've hoped that more people at least gave the first issue a chance than did is basically my lament.
    They shipped something like 400,000 copies for free. Everyone who is remotely interested has tried it, and even more people who were never interested have tried it too.

They shipped something like 400,000 copies for free. Everyone who is remotely interested has tried it, and even more people who were never interested have tried it too.
    Trying it out is fine and good and all that, however...

I mean that I wish more people gave it a chance by pre-ordering it.

Those numbers basically say that even though it was hyped and there was potential there and an up and coming writer that's been greatly praised, that as a response people just shrugged "meh" instead of pre-ordering and letting things fall to the winds of fate and chance.

Trying it out is fine and good and all that, however...

I mean that I wish more people gave it a chance by pre-ordering it.

Those numbers basically say that even though it was hyped and there was potential there and an up and coming writer that's been greatly praised, that as a response people just shrugged "meh" instead of pre-ordering and letting things fall to the winds of fate and chance.
    If Soule is gonna have any success at all, it's not gonna be through saying yes to every bad idea editorial throws at him.

The main draw of this title is Joe Mad, and he will won't be on as a regular artist... so the draw of this book is a up-and-coming writer and characters that aren't well known. I love the Inhumans, but they don't serve a real purpose if they are advertising them as mutants. I'm sure the title will be decent and will last a bit since Marvel is pushing it. GotG is the next Avengers not Inhumans, and I'm not a fan of GotG...yet.

If Soule is gonna have any success at all, it's not gonna be through saying yes to every bad idea editorial throws at him.
    It seems to be his first shot at a hyped up event like opportunity (well, i'm not sure if Doomed came before or after and i'm not sure how hyped Doomed is, and Doomed is more of a shared thing), it would be pretty crazy to say no to that wouldn't it? Got to get your name out there and build it up. When you're up and coming you probably don't have the luxury in a lot of choices, got to take the opportunities that come your way and try and make the best of them I would imagine... you hesitate a lot and pass things up a lot and the next thing you know time has passed you by.
    Last edited by SXVA; 05-12-2014 at 09:16 PM.