Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Has it gotten to the point that comic fans hate free comics?

Free comics??
    Comic fans hate everything except fast food and wrestling from what I gather at shops and conventions, no wait, they complain about wrestling too. Which makes coming to a forum like this a bit eye rolling at times.

Anyways, 58k for a first issue from Marvel is low, but realisitcally, you can't generate a buzz where there isn't one. This book is was delayed to destruction. You can't force an idea on fans and Marvel seemed to be forcing this to "work" as the next big thing. Big ideas and big franchises happen organically. This was a corporate shell of a half hearted idea that had no legs and now has no sales.

Has it gotten to the point that comic fans hate free comics?

Free comics??
    Bad ones, yeah. Especially when they're forcing retailers to pay more for freight due to the added weight the free issues bring. They already decided how many copies of Inhuman they wanted.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Bad ones, yeah. Especially when they're forcing retailers to pay more for freight due to the added weight the free issues bring. They already decided how many copies of Inhuman they wanted.
    Inhuman might be bad to you but it's not bad to a lot of people that actually enjoyed it.

The retailers are charging extra for the book, not to mention the fact that lots of retailers had custom made copies for their stores.This book was an extravaganza for them and I can't imagine too many (if any) retailers complaining about a book that is guaranteed to sell tons of copies at a higher price point.

Don't get me wrong, I understand folks who actually bought Inhuman #1 and feel bad that Marvel gave it away for free but I fail to see any merit in complaining about getting additional free pages and in this case an entire free comic.

If one feels that strongly one way or the other about a free comic, one should just wait for the collected Amazing Spider-man trade which won't collect Inhuman.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serotonin View Post
    Comic fans hate everything except fast food and wrestling from what I gather at shops and conventions, no wait, they complain about wrestling too. Which makes coming to a forum like this a bit eye rolling at times.

Anyways, 58k for a first issue from Marvel is low, but realisitcally, you can't generate a buzz where there isn't one. This book is was delayed to destruction. You can't force an idea on fans and Marvel seemed to be forcing this to "work" as the next big thing. Big ideas and big franchises happen organically. This was a corporate shell of a half hearted idea that had no legs and now has no sales.
    Agreed, a new franchise like this really needed the momentum from a big event like Infinity to carry it.

I'm not actually surprised that it debuted so low because retailers had to literally cancel their initial orders of the book due to the delays.

At the end of the day, the book will have to make it on its own steam. Soule is a pretty good writer and I'm sure he'll deliver a good story not to mention that Ryan Stegman is taking over on art and he's a pretty excellent artist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Personally, I'm blaming Matt Fraction, who must have poisoned the book. His unprofessional bailing out must have weakened retailer confidence and led to such embarrassing sales for a first issue.
    The editors and the writers didn't agree on the direction for the book, so another writer was called. It happens often in any creative field there is nothing unprofessional about it. Every book starts with more author doing pitches and proposing ideas. An unprofessional behavior would be to have the concept and scripts greenlighted and despite the commitment taken abandoning the project without reason. If creator and publisher can't agree about the project the creator is in no way obligated to write the book/tv show/movie the way the publisher want nor the publisher to accept the creator's story.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Not sure what you or he means. Pretty much all of the New Inhumans have had egg-like cocoons. Hers was not special.
    The other cocoons were green and leathery, hers was black and brittle.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

If one feels that strongly one way or the other about a free comic, one should just wait for the collected Amazing Spider-man trade which won't collect Inhuman.
    wait what? so in your mind, people who want to buy a spider-man book should wait for the trade to avoid the inhuman book that they never wanted in the first place and are being forced to pay for to enjoy their spider-man story. because spider-man has what exactly to do with inhuman?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    wait what? so in your mind, people who want to buy a spider-man book should wait for the trade to avoid the inhuman book that they never wanted in the first place and are being forced to pay for to enjoy their spider-man story. because spider-man has what exactly to do with inhuman?
    As was said earlier in the thread, it was actually a freebie if you compare it to other 80 page giants like Deadpool.
    So no, you are not being forced to pay more and you are not being forced to read it.

Once it comes to those pages... close the book.

I also don't see how it in any way changes your enjoyment of a separate story that as you even say has no connection.

it's a terrible gimmick and has no place in a spider-man book. it's as simple as that.

BANNED

it's a terrible gimmick and has no place in a spider-man book. it's as simple as that.
    You keep moving goal posts.
    First it was the fact that you had to pay extra... which was false.
    Then it was the fact that it changes your enjoyment of a story it's not connected to... which it doesn't.
    Now it's a gimmick? (which it kind of isn't because it's simply a company promoting their own product with a free issue)

I'm just saying, is it REALLY that much trouble for you when all you need to do is not read those extra pages?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I really dont understand the people who are complaining about Inhuman #1 being included in Spider-Man. It was not at extra cost, that extra cost was due to the extra Spider-Man content. Likewise I dont understand the people are are complaining about Marvel trying to capitalize on a similarity to X-Men in the hopes that it will be successful and they can spin it off into other media. In case no one has noticed, that is currently the entire basis for comics existing today. That is Geoff Johns job at DC even. Comics are no longer made for the sheer fact of having a comic with this character or that one.
    I absolutely love the Inhumans and the concept behind them. I have ofter thought they would make a really cool tv series similarly to Game of Thrones long before I knew what GoT was and was really excited when Marvel announced they were doing a series attempting to push them in that direction. I was going to be on board when it was to be written by Fraction, even though he has been more hit and miss with me (more miss to be honest) but when it was announced Soule was on board, I was quite excited about the book. Joe Mad, while being a great artist, isn't one I would have thought about putting on the book. I love his style and liked what he did in the first issue and look forward to Ryan Stegman as well, but would have thought a grittier artist would have been more appropriate for what they were trying to do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I really dont understand the people who are complaining about Inhuman #1 being included in Spider-Man. It was not at extra cost, that extra cost was due to the extra Spider-Man content. Likewise I dont understand the people are are complaining about Marvel trying to capitalize on a similarity to X-Men in the hopes that it will be successful and they can spin it off into other media. In case no one has noticed, that is currently the entire basis for comics existing today. That is Geoff Johns job at DC even. Comics are no longer made for the sheer fact of having a comic with this character or that one.
    I absolutely love the Inhumans and the concept behind them. I have ofter thought they would make a really cool tv series similarly to Game of Thrones long before I knew what GoT was and was really excited when Marvel announced they were doing a series attempting to push them in that direction. I was going to be on board when it was to be written by Fraction, even though he has been more hit and miss with me (more miss to be honest) but when it was announced Soule was on board, I was quite excited about the book. Joe Mad, while being a great artist, isn't one I would have thought about putting on the book. I love his style and liked what he did in the first issue and look forward to Ryan Stegman as well, but would have thought a grittier artist would have been more appropriate for what they were trying to do.
    In this day an age when comics are pushing 3 and 4 dollars, I'll gladly take a free issue of anything.

Ultimate Member

You're not being forced to pay for anything.

They are free pages.

If you don't like them, then don't read them. Simple.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

it's a terrible gimmick and has no place in a spider-man book.
    Free bonus story doesn't have to be related to the main story in the first place. Marvel is just hoping that Spidey readers will try it out and diversify their interests. Not terrible for me.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Free bonus story doesn't have to be related to the main story in the first place. Marvel is just hoping that Spidey readers will try it out and diversify their interests. Not terrible for me.
    Why do you think Marvel is second guessing the retailers and their readers? They already let Marvel know their level of interest in Inhuman based on the sales figures of the first issue? Why is Marvel doing this free issue thing for Inhuman and not a different comic? Ms Marvel is a comic they clearly want to see succeed, why not put that in Amazing #1? She-Hulk could use a few extra eyes, why not that?