Super Moderator

Default How to Get Your "Star Wars" Fix Before "The Force Awakens"

Longing for more "Star Wars" after the teaser for "Star Wars: The Force Awakens?" There's plenty to scratch that itch as you wait for December 2015.

Full article here.

BANNED

There's also the Dark Empire Trilogy and the Crimson Empire Saga.

Lots of good choices. I'm a big fan of the Han Solo stories, both Daley's and Crispin's. Daley's especially captures that early pulpy feel that the original movie had better than a lot of EU fiction. I also appreciate any author who treats Chewie as more than just the family dog, like many EU authors seemed to do. Daley and Crispin really captured the friendship between Han and Chewie well.

I could never get through the Lando trilogy, though. Maybe it was the writing or maybe Lando just works better as a supporting character and not as the main star.

I should really re-read Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy, too. I read it back in high school and remember really enjoying it, but it's been a long time now since I last read it in its entirety.

Steve Perry's Shadows of the Empire should also be on the list. One of my favorite EU books.

Quote Originally Posted by sprior93 View Post
    There's also the Dark Empire Trilogy and the Crimson Empire Saga.
    Are Dark Empire II and III as good as the first? That's the only one I've read.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

feltonbass

So much EU goodness. I still remember seeing Heir to the Empire in the window of a Waldenbooks at the Mall when I was 15 ( I aged myself just a bit there ). I'm firmly support the jettisoning of the EU in favor of a new streamlined continuity, but Mara jade, Talon Karrde, Corran Horn, Kyle Kataran, et al.... will always hold a place in my fandom heart.

Dark Empire II was OK, Dark Empire III was a necessary conclusion, but a bit of a letdown. If you can, I highly recommend finding the Dark Empire Audio Dramas ( Billy Dee voices Lando ). Its a great way to experience the story.

Also, hunt down the NPR Radio Dramas of the OT. They really expand on the story, especially A New Hope ( it's 13 episodes and 6+ hours long! ). And with it being recorded in the late 70s, you get to hear some future famous people voice background characters. David Alan Greir comes to mind right away. Perry King and Anne Sachs are a perfect pairing for Han and Leia.

And, of course, there's always Rebels which I'm really enjoying. A New Dawn is good too if you like the world of Rebels. I'm reading Tarkin right now and enjoying it so far ( hoping for a Daala appearance I know will not come ).

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I do not remember the Marvel Star Wars comics from the 70s (story lines), I do remember buying a couple though. My first comics.

As far as this list, Star Wars Legacy is it for me. That said, I would blind buy an OT comic by John Ostrander and Jan Duursema (and/or an Episode VII era one.)
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

You cannot go wrong with Star Wars: Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by feltonbass View Post
    Also, hunt down the NPR Radio Dramas of the OT. They really expand on the story, especially A New Hope ( it's 13 episodes and 6+ hours long! ). And with it being recorded in the late 70s, you get to hear some future famous people voice background characters. David Alan Greir comes to mind right away. Perry King and Anne Sachs are a perfect pairing for Han and Leia.
    Oh yeah, I love those. Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back in particular are really amazing. Return of the Jedi, after such a long delay in production, was a little disappointing in comparison because it wasn't nearly as expanded as the others. But overall the radio dramas are downright epic to listen to.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010