Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Maybe Jessica sounds too gay for the network execs. Oh well. it's happened before.

Krysten Ritter's a brilliant choice to play Jessica Jones. Funny, sarcastic, and can definitely pull this off.

And yeah--Purple Man would be great, especially if played by Crispin Glover. Hm...he might be too old too.
    Storm Wolverine Nightcrawler Colossus Shadowcat Rogue Phoenix Magneto
    Mirage Cannonball Karma Sunspot Wolfsbane Magik Magma Cypher Warlock
    Jubilee Synch M Chamber Skin Husk

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    I'd like to know what the timeline for these Netflix shows is though. Where will Jessica Jones' previous superhero career fit into the greater Marvel movie-verse? Did she only discover her powers and begin adventuring after the first Avengers movie? Anything previous seems like something that there'd be more notice of.
    Pretty sure the show will be set in current cinematic universe. I'm hoping the first season explores her initial attempts at being Jewel. Maybe Jessica was inspired by the events in New York?

I think it's pretty unanimous that with the general reaction to Ritter being cast for Jessica Jones. She was actually one of my top picks even though I was surprised when she was chosen as a forerunner for the role. I hope she manages to pull it off, she may not have had a lot of major roles, but she does seem to be a good actor.

I dont see it. The Jessica I know was the one from Alias. A trash talking chubby chain smoker. Guess instead we are getting thr Pulse version.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

... This leaves Alex Daddario available to play Jessica Drew. We need to press Marvel to sign her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    I dont see it. The Jessica I know was the one from Alias. A trash talking chubby chain smoker. Guess instead we are getting thr Pulse version.
    To be fair, you haven't seen any footage of her playing the character as of yet.

BANNED

i'll probably skip this show as i never really cared for the JJ... then again i never even read Alias, which is supposed to be great, so...

...and Mike Colter as Luke Cage, huh?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    The difference is it fit retroactively in the comics because there were several decades of precedence for superheroes flying around saving the day. In the Marvel movieverse, there's every indication that outside of a couple exceptions like Captain America in World War II, the Hulk, Iron Man and Thor were the first exposure the average person had to actual superhumans. So whatever Jessica's origin story here, it doesn't make a lot of sense that she'd have been a superhero before the first Hulk or Iron Man movie....a woman calling herself Jewel flying around would have attracted a lot more notice than when she was just one of hundreds of superheroes in the comics.
    I think it could work. We already know from Agents of SHIELD that they've been tracking and cataloguing metahumans for some time (presumably before the first Iron Man film). Jessica could've been one of the first metahumans to try to go public but SHIELD persuaded her to give up super heroics. After that, Jewel's history becomes urban legend. Or she becomes Jewel after being inspired by Iron Man's coming out. That will have been seven years ago come 2015. That's plenty of time for her to give super heroing a shot, give up and become a private detective.

Ultimate Member

Heck Nick Fury mentions to Tony at the end of the first IM movie that he's become part of something bigger. "You think that you're the only superhero in the game?" That quote is very telling. And part of Jessica's backstory is that her superhero career crashed and burned BADLY! So if she goes on a couple of "missions" as a teen, then the Purple Man incident (shudders) happens, and she quits right afterwards, then I can see it fitting into continuity. Most people would have no reason to remember her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Heck Nick Fury mentions to Tony at the end of the first IM movie that he's become part of something bigger. "You think that you're the only superhero in the game?" That quote is very telling. And part of Jessica's backstory is that her superhero career crashed and burned BADLY! So if she goes on a couple of "missions" as a teen, then the Purple Man incident (shudders) happens, and she quits right afterwards, then I can see it fitting into continuity. Most people would have no reason to remember her.
    "So prominent a hero that no one remembers her or her career."

Yeah, that works....

WOW I hope this isnt true. Horrible choice. If this turns out to be true, with Cumberbatch being cast as Dr Strange Marvel has really dropped the ball in casting.
    Far out.

Incredible Member

Guys, I know it can work, I never said it couldn't. I just said I want to know what the in-universe timeline of this show is, because I'm interested in knowing if Jessica's superhero career was back before Iron Man and a kind of under the radar thing only SHIELD was aware of, or if she and others will take up the superhero gig coming up around the Age of Ultron, etc.

In the comics, people would recognize her and say things like 'hey, didn't you used to be Jewel'? The Young Avengers were fanboys of hers. It was a fun part of her character concept, and really played up the retired hero aspect. I'm just curious if they're going to be able to do something similar with her here, but in order to be recognized, she has to have some kind of presence - and if even Tony Stark isn't aware of her, then she was either way under the radar or hasn't debuted yet.

Personally, now that she's been cast I'd love it if we saw her guest star on a couple episodes of Agents of SHIELD later this season or early next season, kind of show her superhero career - she'd be one of the first non-Avengers affiliated superheroes in action, which would draw the attention of Coulson's team, and then she could just be mentioned now and again in the background like she was on the news or took out a supervillain or something. And then her show could explain why she retired and delve into all of that in detail.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    So, Jessica Jones can't be portrayed as a borderline anorexic chain smoking nervous wreck?

I think the key is the defeated, self-hating wreck who embraces the darkness. If Ritter can do this, then there's no problem...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    So, Jessica Jones can't be portrayed as a borderline anorexic chain smoking nervous wreck?

I think the key is the defeated, self-hating wreck who embraces the darkness. If Ritter can do this, then there's no problem...
    Her character is Apt. 23 was kind of an amoral, Holly Golightly. But that show was played for laughs.

Ritter should be able to pull off "self hating trainwreck".