Mighty Member

Default Modern masters vol. 29 Cliff Chiang

I got this book the other day.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Masters...ern+masters+29

Includes a lengthy and insightful chat with Cliff where he came from, and went from there. Of course detailing some of his and Brian's work on Wonder Woman. How they first wanted to make Jimmy Olsen book (similar to their Dr13 one), then a pulp Batman book (him donning guns against mexican cartels), a pixar take on aquaman graphical novel and also discussing an allstar green lantern one.

And ultimately they got to do Wonder Woman.

Their first idea was to try and make the much discussed WW2 Wonder Woman. Her being legend, that would include most of the other runs similar to Morrison's Batman. They'd incorporate different decades art style and such depending which year the story took place. Something they somewhat got to do in the zero issue and Secret origins one.

Interestingly the armor Diana wears in WW#7 (inspired by Darwyn Cooke's WW) and the end of the run was the one they intended for her to wear the whole series. But since Jim Lee where to design the justice league, they had to use that one instead.

All and all. A really nice read. Chiang is a humble bub that happens to a magician when it comes to art. Love the the book's B/W sketches and colour prints (on nicer paper. Must resist cutting/framing them.).

I really hope to see more of his work soon. Wouldn't mind of he got to make the aquaman one or another Wonder Woman with Azzarello !
    Last edited by borntohula; 12-05-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Thanks for reminding me that this was out, just bought a copy, skimming the digital version now.

Mighty Member

Hope you enjoy the book!

Wonder Woman on p. 102, would love that picture as a poster. If there's to be a Azz/Chiang WW omnibus, I wouldn't mind if that was the cover

Also, Wonder Woman Joan Jett drawings on 116-117 are insanely epic. Should be made into a book of its own

For me Cliff combines the charm of European comic art and the action of Kirby. There's as much joy as there is badassery in his art.
    Last edited by borntohula; 12-06-2014 at 01:51 AM.