Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Retired

Default Could DC publish the FF?

In theory, if Marvel doesn't want to publish Fantastic Four comics because they don't want to promote Fox's THE FANTASTIC FOUR movie in 2015 (and the sequel in 2017), could Fox as the licensee use DC to publish a comic book adaptation of their movie?

I'm not sure how the law works but I think its possible for DC to publish a comic based on the movie.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It'd be the ultimate irony if Marvel's # 1 family ends up marooned by its own company and needs to be published by the Distinguished Competition.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

They wouldn't be able to call the publication FANTASTIC FOUR since Marvel owns the trademark to that. There are certainly ways around that. For instance, see the infamous THE UNCENSORED MOUSE comic for a (legally legal but nonetheless lawyer'd) example of this. I can't think of any in this example, though. I'd say FF, but Marvel already has that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In theory, if Marvel doesn't want to publish Fantastic Four comics because they don't want to promote Fox's THE FANTASTIC FOUR movie in 2015 (and the sequel in 2017), could Fox as the licensee use DC to publish a comic book adaptation of their movie?
    Depends on how the contracts are written. I doubt Fox has any authority other than in movies, though. Are toys connected to the movie done by Marvel or by the movie studio?

Also, why would DC even want to? It's not like it's a hot property or anything.

No!
    Fox likely has the License to make the movies, not publish or license out their own FF comics.

That said, DC does have the rights to publish - http://community.comicbookresources....wn-with-powers!
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-05-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Retired

This is the thing. I can't see that the producer of a super-hero movie would be prevented from generating toys and the like as spin-off from the movie. That's one of the main reasons for doing such movies. So it would seem a fine distinction that they can't create a comic book, as well--as part of all that spin-off. I remember also seeing kids books--with comic style pages inside them--published in conjunction with super-hero movies, by third party publishers.

As for trademark--I think that the movie logo could be a distinct trademark for them. It depends how the contracts are written. But even if they can't put "Fantastic Four" on the cover, they could get around it some other way.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Theyre taking a hiatus so they can get a decent creative team together. They are NOT going to permanently get rid of the FF.
    Cyclops was right

BANNED

No, they only have the film rights. Comics are all Marvel. Even a comic based on the movie would have to be negotiated through Marvel. That's likely why we haven't really seen any X-Men movie verse comics.

As people have mentioned, Marvel owns the FF; the movie studio licenses the rights to produce a movie with those characters.

Retired

But there must be more to a contract than just the license to do the movie. Otherwise, we wouldn't see tie-ins to the movie that use the likenesses of the actors. The studio wouldn't have the right to create those tie-ins and the comic publisher wouldn't have the right to use those likenesses--unless there was some quid pro quo agreement.

I think that's part of the reason why the BATMAN TV show was tied up in hell for so many years before they could produce the DVDs.

If I'm not mistaken, Marvel holds all the merchandising rights. They are good with Sony which is why we get Spidey toys and such, unlike with FF and X-Men, which get nothing of that sort since the relationship with Fox is strained.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I would think MARVEL would still hold the publishing rights firmly, so I think it'd be a snowball in hell before we got it...

But wouldn't it be so much fun? I've long thought the FF, the OG marvel superheroes, have basically become DC characters trapped in the Marvel U. Maybe it's their "Challengers of the Unknown" roots but I think they'd fit so much more comfortably in the larger DCU. Reed hanging out with Ray Palmer. Johnny Storm leading the Titans for a stint. Ben Grimm and Wildcat going a few rounds. Sue Storm/Invisible Woman as a full fledged member of the JL.

I can see the Thing being a fan of Superman and having some cool Kirby style adventures with him. Their celebrity status would sure be much more of a focus at DC, as well as their role as explorers.

Maybe just call them THE CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN, and get Ray Palmer/The Atom, to put together a team that perhaps meets by fate?
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-05-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Retired

I don't imagine there's anything stopping DC from publishing something called "The World's Greatest Comics Magazine."

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't imagine there's anything stopping DC from publishing something called "The World's Greatest Comics Magazine."
    With the actual FF though? I think Marvel would sue the hell out of them.