Thread: Ugly Avatars?

Retired

Default Ugly Avatars?

Not naming names, but do other people find some avatar pictures to be off putting or irritating or downright ugly? I can't help but be affected by them at some level and sometimes I'm reacting to the poster based on how that avatar makes me feel--for good or for ill--rather than simply the content of their posts.

Like B.O., I wonder sometimes if I should drop them a hint that--y'know--you might wanna change that avatar 'cause it's kind of gross. But I don't see any way how that's going to work out good for either of us.

"What other people think of me is none of my business" - RuPaul
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not naming names, but do other people find some avatar pictures to be off putting or irritating or downright ugly? I can't help but be affected by them at some level and sometimes I'm reacting to the poster based on how that avatar makes me feel--for good or for ill--rather than simply the content of their posts.

Like B.O., I wonder sometimes if I should drop them a hint that--y'know--you might wanna change that avatar 'cause it's kind of gross. But I don't see any way how that's going to work out good for either of us.
    You have a point. I once saw one. It didn't really make me feel sick but rather really, really wondering why he chose it as an avatar when it even doesn't look good at all. But oh well, they have their reasons so maybe they're just the type of people who likes something different.

Retired

I think some posters don't realize that their avatar is often the first thing we see and it sets a tone before we even read the post. So we might read their posts in that tone. There are even some posts that I skip past, because I just don't like that avatar pic--they are so irritating or nauseating that I want to avoid them if I can.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

What?
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

I think some posters don't realize that their avatar is often the first thing we see and it sets a tone before we even read the post. So we might read their posts in that tone. There are even some posts that I skip past, because I just don't like that avatar pic--they are so irritating or nauseating that I want to avoid them if I can.
    You can turn off avatars.

I ignore them most of the time. Maybe the other people aren't the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    What?
    oh, come on. . .the guy without an avatar complaining about "ugly" avatars?

this is GREAT!

I hope the Mods don't lock it

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    You can turn off avatars.

I ignore them most of the time. Maybe the other people aren't the problem.
    I didn't know that. If I had thought that was possible, I would have done it. Knowing that, I guess I should have put this in the Q&A section (maybe a moderator will help with that).

When I try to follow the directions on the FAQ, I don't find the option that will turn them off. I find an option for making my own avatar but not one for ignoring all avatars. I guess the problem is with me in that I'm ignorant of how to work the system.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    oh, come on. . .the guy without an avatar complaining about "ugly" avatars?

this is GREAT!

I hope the Mods don't lock it
    It's not a complaint, though. If it was a complaint, then I would have put it in the Q&A section. I assume that the people who have "ugly" avatars don't know it--so it's not really something to complain about. Just to comment on. This is why I don't use an avatar--because I might think it looks great, but everyone else thinks it's horrible. I don't want to risk the bad impression. So it's better to be neutral. But props to those who are willing to take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    What?
    dude. . your avatar is HIDEOUS!

It's not a complaint, though. If it was a complaint, then I would have put it in the Q&A section. I assume that the people who have "ugly" avatars don't know it--so it's not really something to complain about. Just to comment on. This is why I don't use an avatar--because I might think it looks great, but everyone else thinks it's horrible. I don't want to risk the bad impression. So it's better to be neutral. But props to those who are willing to take the risk.
    what risk?

there's NO "risk" involved.

if someone is going to judge you on an avatar rather than on things you've said or done?

they weren't worth bothering to get to know in the first place.

put something YOU like in your avatar.

(That said, i did have "Fancy Froglin" as my avatar for a short while (after using Firestorm for almost 15 years), and I was told by a Mod that folks had complained and I was asked to change it. Not one person made a comment to ME -- and I'd bet most had no idea the character was real - he is a real character, and my avatar was an original sketch done for me by the creator).

but not my site, so, so be it.

I'm so glad we have someone from the Fashion and Taste Police who are here to help us conform to their opinions.
    (We really need the eye-rolling smiley here!)

I guess the question is: what constitutes an "ugly" avatar, and by what standards are they judged?

BANNED

So my two faced cat tribute Avatar is a no no then?

This thread is closed.