Page 817 of 822 FirstFirst ... 317717767807813814815816817818819820821 ... LastLast
Results 12,241 to 12,255 of 12326
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

https://variety.com/2018/artisans/ne...ds-1203090962/

I’m not gonna pretend I know what COLA is but figured some of y’all would want to see this

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post

I’m not gonna pretend I know what COLA is but figured some of y’all would want to see this
    What. I don't understand this at all. Have those COLA people already seen the movie, or...?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    What. I don't understand this at all. Have those COLA people already seen the movie, or...?
    They dont need to have

COLA Awards are not based on the content of the movie.
    "The COLAs recognize location managers, public employees and other pros who help expedite and guide on-location production in California."

Kelly drew on a sketch cover and auctioned it off. Sadly, I did not win it, but I'm really excited for her Captain Marvel guys.

https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/s...26000509059072
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Astonishing Member

Well I'm not judging on that page alone, the artist also did some issues of X-Men Red and I thought her art was amazing there.
    Oh, I do have that series. Haven't enjoyed it -- but that's more on the writing. I'll have to look at those issues again.

BANNED

"Hooyah" is more navy, "Hooah" is the air force battle cry borrowed from the army, but it's not like AF use it.

"between me and those clouds". The Large Magenellic cloud?

Why is the "doctor" flying?

the voice of the characters is tough to distinguish. I can't seem to tell the difference between word selection for carol, marv, tony when the conversation picks up. Maybe it's just me, but I would've been confused during the whole "flying is natural" to birds part if not for the colors near the text boxes and the "doc" "captain" part. Also, why'd lawson call her captain? He called her colonel earlier.

There was a moment where carol begun wheezing and I think "oh panic attack", but she's fine to save her mom the next panel... i don't know if this was intentionally saying she overcame her anxiety or it's just the wrong word chosen...either way it felt strange and too quick if it was the former. I hope the paralyzing anxiety is dealt with in kelly thompsons run, but i dunno

I would've liked to know more about the kleaner, but it just killed Mari-ell and died. It felt way too quick, and the concept was barely explored (remember the kree bloodhounds?). Much of this seems to retcon things, but I would've liked more world-building since I'm not really a fan of the retcons, so it does nothing to help the book's case when the new concepts aren't explored enough

I also did not like that they killed off her mother. The death was also so quick, this random kree thing shows up, kills her, and disintegrates. The build up from the first issues feels like it's gone. The aftermath as well.. it just jumped to two weeks later? Her dad got a touching funeral... but what was this?

Really disappointed in this mini. But I suppose that since the movie seems to be going in a completely different direction, this version of the origin won't last long.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

And so ends this mini. *apathetically shrugs*

I guess I'm suppose to care, but I really don't. The mom just doesn't interest me nor feels like a good character after all is said and done. She just feels like a plot device to expose Carol's new retcon origin and die to give her motivation and direction.

Also, I'm gonna to quote this review (SPOILERS):

This comic ends, like most stories built out of cheap clichés, with a heartwarming feel-good "look brightly to the future" finale. But in my view, it did nothing to earn that feel-goodery.

A Kree Terminator came to Maine to kill Carol's mom. It completed that mission and got away clean.

That's a huge failure on Carol's part. Abject, even.

As a whole, the Life of Captain Marvel is also an abject failure. It attempted to make gigantic changes to Carol's backstory and even the Marvel universe as a whole. (The Kree have an Empress now?)

In this miniseries' earlier issues, the audacity of the changes and the range of possible outcomes kept things interesting. Now the range has collapsed and we're left with the painful evidence that the creators took the laziest choices at every opportunity.

Killing Carol's mom so soon after retconning her into a Kree warrior is, frankly, cowardly.

It teleports Carol straight into wistful regret and fond memories while short-cutting past the messy, hard-to-script discussions mother and daughter would have to have after the revelation of such an enormous secret. But this issue also avoids handing Carol much in the way of guilt over her mother's death; that seems to me another scaredy-cat creative choice. Carol is better than the average bear at beating herself up. To think she wouldn't be gutted after letting her mother fall in battle is unrealistic in the extreme.

The fact that this issue doesn't give us one line of dialogue between Carol and her brother after their mom's death is another cowardly choice.
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 12-19-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    I also did not like that they killed off her mother. The death was also so quick, this random kree thing shows up, kills her, and disintegrates. The build up from the first issues feels like it's gone. The aftermath as well.. it just jumped to two weeks later? Her dad got a touching funeral... but what was this?
    Marie probably got killed because otherwise there'd be THREE Captain Marvels. Phyla just got brought back in the form of an AU version, so with her and Carol, Marie would've been a third person with the same powers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Marie probably got killed because otherwise there'd be THREE Captain Marvels. Phyla just got brought back in the form of an AU version, so with her and Carol, Marie would've been a third person with the same powers.
    She could just, you know, not be a superhero, likes she's apparently been for decades.

One thing that frustrates me is at the end of the story, the whole point of Carol coming home in the first place isn't completely dealt with. That is carols "daddy issues". We sure didn't see her trying to make peace with her bitter and angry attitude towards her father. Her father's headstone, which she smashed throwing a tantrum, probibly still is in pieces...

Embarrassing.

What was the point of this story? It not only needlessly expanded and detracted from Carol’s origin and character by shamelessly turning her into Superman, it decides to destroy her supporting cast as well.

LOL

I was thinking of pre-ordering the TPB of this at Amazon, but now I think I'll just wait and see if it comes down the road at Ollies Bargain Outlet...

I wonder how much, if any, of this mini is going to effect Thompson's run.