Page 768 of 822 FirstFirst ... 268668718758764765766767768769770771772778818 ... LastLast
Results 11,506 to 11,520 of 12326

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
    So, just read Life of Captain Marvel #03 and...

Beginning of spoilers

Apparently Carol's mom is a Kree? The last page of the issue shows her mom suddenly wearing a Kree uniform after the blue alien lady comes after Carol, and her mom says that the alien is coming for her, not for Carol, and Carol looks confused as hell, and so I am. And the affair that Carol's dad had wasn't with a human, and the woman looks a lot like her mom (at least from a distance it looks like, and that is what the comic showed). Anyway, before her mom appears with the Kree uniform, she talks about how she promised Carol's father she wouldn't tell Carol about something in specific, and starts talking to Carol about how the best thing that happened in her life was an accident, but she didn't complete what she was saying because Carol had a panic attack and fainted. Anyway, I already don't like this idea of her mom having any involvement with the Kree, or aliens, or superpowers. For me the whole deal about Carol is that her struggles with her family are relatable, and that doesn't make it relatable at all. I really hope her mom isn't Kree and I really hope the explanation for this doesn't make her mom super involved with aliens and etc. I don't know, I'm kinda torn apart because that just feels extra and unnecessary. What's with this need of every character having this special heritage with super powered/hero/rich parents? Gee. Let them be nobodies. Trying to not jump to conclusions here and see how this ends. At least now I'm really interested to see the end and the outcome of Life of Captain Marvel.

End of spoilers

Ps: sorry guys, still don't know how to make the typical spoiler box that is used here
    I thought this was another solid issue. This series is quickly becoming my favorite Captain Marvel book since KSD's run. But I find it odd that people are making such a big deal about this "retcon."

For once, it's assuming a lot. We don't know entirely what we're looking at with that final page. There's still more story to tell. Even if it is what we assume, it really doesn't change much about Carol herself or the events that made her who she was. It just changes her family circumstances, which have never been too big a part of her story. I still think it makes for great intrigue, but it's not the kind of groundbreaking retcon that I see some claiming.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I wonder if this retcon was made to line up with the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't think they're allowed to reference stuff they do not own yet.
    What's Fox gonna do? Sue them?

Astonishing Member

Don't know if this was mentioned, but the Kree experimenting on her seems like a call back to when the Brood experimented on her in the X-Men -- which resulted in her becoming Binary.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Carol is one of the most hated characters on the overall comics fandom so I'm not surprised.
    That's not true at all. A lot of people haven't been happy with how she's been treated/written since becoming Captain Marvel. And there are some people who always dismissed the character as a female counterpart. But most-hated?! That's quite a stretch!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    My guess is -- yes.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    My guess is -- yes.
    Considering Annette Bening being cast, it seems like a possibility. Did anyone see the clip of Bening on Kimmel I got the feeling she did some stunts in the movie maybe, she starts to say something and then stops herself.

I liked this week's issue writting too, but I wasn't very fond of that final page. It practically confirmed my worries that this mini series is a retcon of Carol's origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    i can't say that I super-care about any retcons with carol. She was mostly unused, in space-limbo as Binary during my initial schoolkid-era comics reading (aside from random back-issues I may have come across).. Kurt Busiek's decision to return the character to the Avengers circa 1998 "Heroes Return", was my first sustained exposure to the character (and very enjoyable).. so all of the traditional canon and dogma for her backstory just isn't top of mind for me..
    It kinda depends for me. Since her origin isn't exactly symbolical or unique, I'm down to changes.

Regarding Mar-Vell.....

I dunno if this fits, but here's my theory.

Carol stumbles upon the Kree on earth, and both she and Mar-Vell get blasted by the Magnitron, just like in the comics. However, the blast not only fuses Mar-Vell's genetics with Carol's, it kills him and imprints his psyche on Carol's mind. Carol believes she really *is* Mar-Vell; Kree Captain, and the Supreme Intelligence (or whoever rules the Kree in the MCU) spend the next several years periodically brainwashing Carol to ensure her brain never recovers, never remembers that Mar-Vell was a rebel himself (perhaps?) and she continues to believe herself a loyal Kree soldier.

So, basically Carol flips between the "Mar-Vell" personality she inherited along with her powers, and her own mind, which has been struggling to regain purchase in her head and heal the damage done to her. Its not until Carol arrives on earth that she's away from the brainwashing and surrounded by familiar settings that she finally starts to come around and regain her sense of self.

It would parallel certain points in Carol's history, explain the name, keep Mar-Vell prominent in the mythos without actually being there to detract from Carol's screen time, and provide plenty of incentive for her to go against the Kree when she finally gets her mind back.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I thought this was another solid issue. This series is quickly becoming my favorite Captain Marvel book since KSD's run. But I find it odd that people are making such a big deal about this "retcon."

For once, it's assuming a lot. We don't know entirely what we're looking at with that final page. There's still more story to tell. Even if it is what we assume, it really doesn't change much about Carol herself or the events that made her who she was. It just changes her family circumstances, which have never been too big a part of her story. I still think it makes for great intrigue, but it's not the kind of groundbreaking retcon that I see some claiming.
    Like I said, we need to see how the story ends to draw actual conclusions. I'm just not really a fan of the idea the last page transmits, but I don't think it's a groundbreaking idea. One way or another, now it's got me really hooked, so that's great.
    I also think it's her best story since KSD's run. Which got me thinking: will Stohl be replaced after the end of Life of Captain Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    If it is, it sure is a way to avoid comparisons with Green Lantern (Marvel Studios' main concern about her story/origin)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I liked this week's issue writting too, but I wasn't very fond of that final page. It practically confirmed my worries that this mini series is a retcon of Carol's origin.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
    So, just read Life of Captain Marvel #03 and...

Beginning of spoilers

Apparently Carol's mom is a Kree? The last page of the issue shows her mom suddenly wearing a Kree uniform after the blue alien lady comes after Carol, and her mom says that the alien is coming for her, not for Carol, and Carol looks confused as hell, and so I am. And the affair that Carol's dad had wasn't with a human, and the woman looks a lot like her mom (at least from a distance it looks like, and that is what the comic showed). Anyway, before her mom appears with the Kree uniform, she talks about how she promised Carol's father she wouldn't tell Carol about something in specific, and starts talking to Carol about how the best thing that happened in her life was an accident, but she didn't complete what she was saying because Carol had a panic attack and fainted. Anyway, I already don't like this idea of her mom having any involvement with the Kree, or aliens, or superpowers. For me the whole deal about Carol is that her struggles with her family are relatable, and that doesn't make it relatable at all. I really hope her mom isn't Kree and I really hope the explanation for this doesn't make her mom super involved with aliens and etc. I don't know, I'm kinda torn apart because that just feels extra and unnecessary. What's with this need of every character having this special heritage with super powered/hero/rich parents? Gee. Let them be nobodies. Trying to not jump to conclusions here and see how this ends. At least now I'm really interested to see the end and the outcome of Life of Captain Marvel.

End of spoilers

Ps: sorry guys, still don't know how to make the typical spoiler box that is used here
    No prize for me and Mike Murdock who predicted this.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Wow, this issue! I'd say is actually the best one yet! It was strong from start to finish. Both drama, action and humor. I'm so intrigued, and confused...

spoilers:
    I kinda saw Carol having a Kree mother coming, but... I thought the reveal was gonna be that her biological mother was the woman her father had an affair with rather than Marie Danvers. I wonder how things are gonna fit? Cause it's a huge puzzle right now.

As some said, I wonder if this has something to do with the movie? I really don't know what to think because some people have pointed out that there's a scene on the trailer that looks a lot like Carol just... Getting her powers from a machine/explosion like on her original origin. Does Marvel Comics really get told stuff so many months in advance for them to even change things based on the movie already, considering this mini was planned quite a while ago?...
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Wiccan; 09-19-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Wow, this issue! I'd say is actually the best one yet! It was strong from start to finish. Both drama, action and humor. I'm so intrigued, and confused...

spoilers:
    I kinda saw Carol having a Kree mother coming, but... I thought the reveal was gonna be that her biological mother was the woman her father had an affair with rather than Marie Danvers. I wonder how things are gonna fit? Cause it's a huge puzzle right now.

As some said, I wonder if this has something to do with the movie? I really don't know what to think because some people have pointed out that there's a scene on the trailer that looks a lot like Carol just... Getting her powers from a machine/explosion like on her original origin. Does Marvel Comics really get told stuff so many months in advance for them to even change things based on the movie already, considering this mini was planned quite a while ago?...
    end of spoilers
    Well...

spoilers:
    I'm still suspicious of her dad's affair, because right after I saw the woman, and she was flying and had blonde hair, I immediately thought she was Carol's mother. And I'm still not 100% convinced that her father even had an affair, because, from a certain distance, which it's what they showed, that woman looked a lot like Marie Danvers. So maybe it could be something about that dual personality thing (the same thing that happened to Carol)? Like, her mother turns Kree and has dual personality.

And I'm guessing she turned Kree (actually half-Kree) in an accident, because Marie says that the best thing that happened in her life was an accident, but doesn't say what that accident was. Or maybe the Marie Danvers in the present isn't Marie Danvers at all, but actually a Kree that is Carol's mother? (This theory depends on the age gap between Carol and her siblings). I don't know, just theories from a confused person.

Anyway, I guess the fact that Marie is shown wearing the Knee uniform basically confirms that she is indeed Carol's mother and debunks the theory of her mother being the lady from the affair (if she is indeed another person).

And regarding Marvel Comics getting a hold of stuff in time for Life of Captain Marvel, I think it's pretty possible, since they don't need the entire or final script to change her origin in comics.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Tantalus; 09-19-2018 at 04:02 PM.

I like Carol's mom's outfit.