Page 771 of 822 FirstFirst ... 271671721761767768769770771772773774775781821 ... LastLast
Results 11,551 to 11,565 of 12326

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Its mindboggling stupid to suggest this new origin turns her into Wonder Woman. If anything its more like Aquaman with more disparities to even make that different.

Old Origin for Carol: Meets Alien. Alien passes on and gives her powers. Was also a pilot at the time. Mimics Hal Jordan.

Wonder Woman grew up in an island full of Superpowered females where she was already aware the she was special as she was being raised.

This is a theory but I'm assuming Carol's mom and Dad's kids all have their kree physiology dormant and what activated it for Carol was the kree device exploding. So it would still play a factor in her origin. Making it more unique to her.
    The idea of her siblings also being part Kree is really weird to me. For me, it makes her less special.

Extraordinary Member

-If anything, Carol's classic origin mimics Spider Man or Hulk's: Bystander gets unwillingly dosed with radiation: gets powers.

Now the movie trailer from what we see could make Carol seem a bit Hal Jordan-ish (except its a Hal Jordan that was press-ganged and brainwashed into joining up).

The Comics retcon (that I m just now hearing about!) makes her more like Aquaman and or Namor with whole "overlooked hybrid kid has powers greater than the parent races have" trope.

Prepare for "Before Captain Marvel", with the adventures of Marie Danvers on earth as a kree explorer, falling in love and how she inspired Mar-Vell to defect the kree empire and become a superhero.

You know this is going to happen.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Incredible Member

Its mindboggling stupid to suggest this new origin turns her into Wonder Woman. If anything its more like Aquaman with more disparities to even make that different.

Old Origin for Carol: Meets Alien. Alien passes on and gives her powers. Was also a pilot at the time. Mimics Hal Jordan.

Wonder Woman grew up in an island full of Superpowered females where she was already aware the she was special as she was being raised.

...Is this directed at me?

I'm not saying that they're turning her into a full blown WW ripoff.I'm saying that they be preparing her to play similar role that WW does (Premier female character of the Franchise) and that means downplaying links to Mar-vell.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post

I'm not saying that they're turning her into a full blown WW ripoff.I'm saying that they be preparing her to play similar role that WW does (Premier female character of the Franchise) and that means downplaying links to Mar-vell.
    But are you saying this based on the idea that they are reducing the participation of a man in the origin of her powers?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
    But are you saying this based on the idea that they are reducing the participation of a man in the origin of her powers?
    I do think that they're distancing themselves of the explosion origin and trying to make her powers more her own.So yes.

I do think that they're distancing themselves of the explosion origin and trying to make her powers more her own.So yes.
    I understand what you're trying to say, but that's kinda tricky since DC retconned Diana's origin during the new 52, making her Zeus' daughter and basically transforming her into a mere demigod just like any other, and this origin was the one used on the movie. So, since WW's origin actually lost her symbolism and her originality with the new 52 retcon, I'm not sure if she is a good comparison.
    Last edited by Tantalus; 09-20-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Incredible Member

I understand what you're trying to say, but that's kinda tricky since DC retconned Diana's origin during the new 52, making her Zeus' daughter and basically transforming her into a mere demigod just like any other, and this origin was the one used on the movie. So, since WW's origin actually lost her symbolism and her originality with the new 52 retcon, i'm not sure if she is a good comparison.
    Hmm.Okay Fair point.

BANNED

The idea of her siblings also being part Kree is really weird to me. For me, it makes her less special.
    I don't see much of a problem with it. If anything it makes it all the more merry. In the fact it could draw in readers who might relate more to said brother or mother of Carol.

Or even then if they go the dormant power route it just leaves it to her being the only child with powers and the kree magnitron device still being an important part of her origin.I don't mind if her sibilings have powers as long as they variate and don't cross to far into each others territory. He'll you could do what they did with Phylla and Genis.

Ill be honest and suggest I jumped at the Wonder Woman mention seeing a thread asking if Carol is being turned into Marvel's Wonder Woman assuming it was into reference of the recent developments.

The only thing I think is major tthat they keep with Mar-Vell is the mentor role tbh. The reason she decided to take on the name.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Prepare for "Before Captain Marvel", with the adventures of Marie Danvers on earth as a kree explorer, falling in love and how she inspired Mar-Vell to defect the kree empire and become a superhero.

You know this is going to happen.
    I think that would be awesome. Honestly what I always thought should of been expanded more on was the Kree stuff with Carol. Now it seems like it's about to happen. More so then ever before.

Incredible Member

So if the whole family gets Powers I guess we could have a captain marvel family...

Astonishing Member

Sheesh! A bit of an over reaction and huge twisting of what I posted. People are saying that Marvel wants Carol to be its Wonder Woman, but she can never really be that. I know she has Marvel in her name, but there was nothing wrong with her being Captain Marvel as an homage to a departed friend.

Captain Marvel never really passed on his powers to Carol. They were linked, but there was no passing. Her origin is not vastly different from Spider-Man, Hulk or Daredevil -- all in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

I think Annette would be a great Tracy Burke. I'm curious to see who she's playing.
    Last edited by AndersonHoran; 09-20-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't think they're allowed to reference stuff they do not own yet.
    The Sam Raimi Spider-Man movie literally makes a "Doctor Strange" joke when Sony didn't own the rights to the character. There are maps that referenced Atlantis when Marvel needs Universal's permission to make a Namor movie. Besides, I'm not talking about referencing the X-Men by saying "this is like Rogue." I'm talking about doing an homage where Carol Danvers loses her memory in a similar way to that seen in Avengers Annual 10 (which isn't even an X-Men issue) and is referenced in Brian Reid's Ms. Marvel run (as well as the X-Men).

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Don't know if this was mentioned, but the Kree experimenting on her seems like a call back to when the Brood experimented on her in the X-Men -- which resulted in her becoming Binary.
    Yeah, I said it's a combination of the Brood experimentation with the Rogue memory loss. All an homage, of course, since it doesn't use either of those characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I thought this was another solid issue. This series is quickly becoming my favorite Captain Marvel book since KSD's run. But I find it odd that people are making such a big deal about this "retcon."

For once, it's assuming a lot. We don't know entirely what we're looking at with that final page. There's still more story to tell. Even if it is what we assume, it really doesn't change much about Carol herself or the events that made her who she was. It just changes her family circumstances, which have never been too big a part of her story. I still think it makes for great intrigue, but it's not the kind of groundbreaking retcon that I see some claiming.
    Yeah, at a minimum, I'm willing to give this a chance. I don't think the retcon is necessary unless it leads to a good story, but I don't mind the retcon either.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    No prize for me and Mike Murdock who predicted this.
    Well, halfway predicted it.
    spoilers:
    I was expecting the woman her dad had an affair with was Kree. I didn't really love that idea because I didn't want Carol's mom to not be her mother. I didn't expect her mom to be Kree at all, though. That caught me completely flat footed. I also had considered the idea that the other alien was Carol's half-sister
    end of spoilers

Well...

spoilers:
    I'm still suspicious of her dad's affair, because right after I saw the woman, and she was flying and had blonde hair, I immediately thought she was Carol's mother. And I'm still not 100% convinced that her father even had an affair, because, from a certain distance, which it's what they showed, that woman looked a lot like Marie Danvers. So maybe it could be something about that dual personality thing (the same thing that happened to Carol)? Like, her mother turns Kree and has dual personality.
    end of spoilers
    I thought this story made clear that your first take was correct.

Carol appeared again in Avengers #08, now with long hair, and apparently the story is now set in the future compared to Life of Captain Marvel, and not in the past anymore. I think now all comics in which she is featured are synchronized with her long hair (she also appears in Immortal Hulk with long hair).
    I've said before that I hate hair conversations. Male characters almost never get them, but Carol gets it consistently and often in the most insulting ways possible (e.g., "she looks like a boy."). But on the chronology question, I noticed Carol had her hair up during the fight and it was only noticeably long afterward. That suggests to me that the initial pages of Life of Captain Marvel took place before after She-Hulk was cured of the issues from her Mariko Tamaki run but before Avengers #1 started.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Honestly, what was wrong with the Psyche-Magnetron made her half-Kree plot?
    I posted my own ideas on how to improve that story (and I don't think this story is inconsistent with the Psyche-Magnetron), but the original story has significant issues. She essentially gets her powers by being a damsel in distress. She has absolutely no agency in that story. That being said, being born a certain way doesn't give one agency either. Either way, she seems to have had her powers triggered by the Psyche-Magnetron. It's not like that story didn't happen.

Anyway, the Wonder Woman comparison people are making doesn't make much sense, but is noteworthy since that had a significant retcon as well. If anything, that retcon was more significant because it actually undercut a lot of the original story - Wonder Woman was not born to a man, she was made of clay from a people who couldn't reproduce because they were all women. She grew up as the only child among them. That was so much cooler and unique. Carol's origin is nowhere near that original or unique aside from the part where she's tied up during it.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?