Page 770 of 822 FirstFirst ... 270670720760766767768769770771772773774780820 ... LastLast
Results 11,536 to 11,550 of 12326

Hair be damned, I love the faux-hawk helmet action.
    What is this GIF from?

Not a big fan of this retcon.

As a human who got her powers (second hand) from the psyche-magnetron and then proceeded to choose to fly around punching things in the name of doing good it was great. Accomplished beforehand she chose to continue fighting the good fight in a higher weight class. Here it's something she's had to build up to.

As a half-alien who it now probably appears only had her powers 'unlocked' by the psyche-magnetron (if it was ever needed to do so) it comes across more as predestination and her being a 'chosen one'. Which is hugely tropey and in some ways reduces her agency in becoming a superhero. She was born to become the special snowflake.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    What is this GIF from?
    The recent Marvel vs Capcom game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lu8D0F9ENY
    Last edited by snark^; 09-20-2018 at 08:34 AM.
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

Incredible Member

So if this retcon is true shouldn’t her brothers have been super as well?

I suspect they're perhaps embarrassed that the heroine they're pushing as a feminist icon derived her original power-set from a man (even though her current power-set has different origins) and are now trying to downplay her links to Mar-Vell. I also think they thought the film was going to make Carol half-Kree from birth (lots of people thought that, but I think the trailer points to her getting her superhuman abilities in that explosion we see) and so they are scrabbling for synergy. I think they may have jumped the gun there.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    There's also the fact that the mum could've used whatever Kree resources she has to help her son.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I suspect they're perhaps embarrassed that the heroine they're pushing as a feminist icon derived her original power-set from a man (even though her current power-set has different origins) and are now trying to downplay her links to Mar-Vell. I also think they thought the film was going to make Carol half-Kree from birth (lots of people thought that, but I think the trailer points to her getting her superhuman abilities in that explosion we see) and so they are scrabbling for synergy. I think they may have jumped the gun there.
    Not so much embarrassment as much as 'This doesn't fit with what we want this character to be'.Can't be Marvel's answer to Wonder woman if she's just a offshoot of Mar-vells mythos.

Hasn't Marvel been trying to change Carol's origin for years, the only rule being that Mar-Vell must still remain a part of it?
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    What is this GIF from?
    That's Ryu from Streetfighter she's blasting there, so if I had to guess, one of the Marvel Versus Capcom games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    That depends a lot... Is her mom a Kree or half-Kree? Because her mom said that the best thing that happened in her life was an accident, but didn't say what that thing was, so perhaps she was the one that had her DNA merged with a Kree? With Marie being half-Kree, Carol could be the only child that actually has Kree DNA in her. And if she is half-Kree, it also depends to when that accident happened, because Life of Captain Marvel stated that Carol is actually the youngest child, and not the older child as it was previously stablished, so if her mother had her accident after Steve and Joe Jr, her older brothers, were born, it could also explain why they don't have Kree DNA and aren't super. It also could be, if we consider that Carol always had Kree DNA in her but didn't have powers before the explosion, that the DNA in a half-Kree being needs to be actived, and that happened to Carol with the psyche-magnetron explosion, but as her brothers weren't exposed to the same situation, their DNA was never activated and they never were super. Theories and more theories. We need to see how Stohl handles this.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of the Mar-Vell origin of her powers, but I don't think removing him is a crucial point, I just think there were better ways to write him off without altering Carol and her family's dynamics. Her family seemed relatable because it was a human family, as well as all of her struggles and achievements before gaining powers. Now, I'm not so sure anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by snark^ View Post
    Not a big fan of this retcon.

As a human who got her powers (second hand) from the psyche-magnetron and then proceeded to choose to fly around punching things in the name of doing good it was great. Accomplished beforehand she chose to continue fighting the good fight in a higher weight class. Here it's something she's had to build up to.

As a half-alien who it now probably appears only had her powers 'unlocked' by the psyche-magnetron (if it was ever needed to do so) it comes across more as predestination and her being a 'chosen one'. Which is hugely tropey and in some ways reduces her agency in becoming a superhero. She was born to become the special snowflake.

The recent Marvel vs Capcom game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lu8D0F9ENY
    Yep. The idea of her always being half-Kree doesn't sound right to me. If they wanted so much to remove Mar-Vell of the origin of her powers, there were better ways to do so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Honestly, what was wrong with the Psyche-Magnetron made her half-Kree plot?
    Yeah, how is that any worse than getting bit by a radioactive spider or being exposed to the radiation from a Gamma bomb?! There are going to be comparisons to Green Lantern -- but not because of the Psyche-Magnetron!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of the Mar-Vell origin of her powers, but I don't think removing him is a crucial point, I just think there were better ways to write him off without altering Carol and her family's dynamics. Her family seemed relatable because it was a human family, as well as all of her struggles and achievements before gaining powers. Now, I'm not so sure anymore.
    At the end of the day, Carol would never have become Ms. Marvel -- and there never would have been a Ms. Marvel comic book if not for the Mar-Vell connection. Carol is not Wonder Woman, and no retcon can make her so.

This is so unnecessary.

The Psyche-Magnetron is a perfect origin as it is. Having her be some kree descendant is just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    At the end of the day, Carol would never have become Ms. Marvel -- and there never would have been a Ms. Marvel comic book if not for the Mar-Vell connection. Carol is not Wonder Woman, and no retcon can make her so.
    If Marvel wants to retcon her and come up with another reason for her Captain Marvel name, they can. Of course the reason her name was Ms. Marvel and then Captain Marvel is originally because of Mar-Vell, but if Marvel wants to, it isn't impossible to tell the story without him (I'm not saying that I do or do not agree with this).

BANNED

Its mindboggling stupid to suggest this new origin turns her into Wonder Woman. If anything its more like Aquaman with more disparities to even make that different.

Old Origin for Carol: Meets Alien. Alien passes on and gives her powers. Was also a pilot at the time. Mimics Hal Jordan.

Wonder Woman grew up in an island full of Superpowered females where she was already aware the she was special as she was being raised.

This is a theory but I'm assuming Carol's mom and Dad's kids all have their kree physiology dormant and what activated it for Carol was the kree device exploding. So it would still play a factor in her origin. Making it more unique to her.