Page 789 of 822 FirstFirst ... 289689739779785786787788789790791792793799 ... LastLast
Results 11,821 to 11,835 of 12326

Carol's mother states: "What humans see as Kree "powers" are just our biological adaptations to a life of combat. They're triggered in battle. Usually around adolescence." Why, to me, does that sound strangely like mutants...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Carol's mother states: "What humans see as Kree "powers" are just our biological adaptations to a life of combat. They're triggered in battle. Usually around adolescence." Why, to me, does that sound strangely like mutants...
    She will be the catalyst for AvX, the next Avengers Movie Trilogy.

Funny thing, way, way, back in UXM#164, when Carol first became Binary, Claremont had Colossus declare "You are now a Mutant." Remember, this was in 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Yes he was but he is also a mutant. Captain Marvel is not a mutant yet, though she maybe in the next 20 years...Eventually everyone becomes a mutant.
    Specially now than Disney owns FOX.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Yes. But don't forget than now it was retcon because Carol was the middle child and now she is the minor child. You can't let Carol position be threatened by someone else. Which makes me fear for Mari-Ell life in the last issue. I mean, she is also a potential replacement.
    And Carol would need a parent who deversed to be mourned, too.
    Actually on Ms Marvel Vol.1 Carol was older than both her brothers, since Marie refers to her as her "firstborn". Apparently they messed that up later and she became the middle child.

And about the retcon... it feels more like an expansion of her origin than a retcon.
    Last edited by Tantalus; 10-18-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Double post

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    PREACH.
    There is NOTHING political about this story. NOTHING.
    I mostly agree, but the when her mother told her that her powers are "not borrowed. Not a gift. Not an accident" it was clearly supposed to imply that this is more empowering for Carol than her original origin. That's why Carol reacts so strongly when she realizes that the powers are her own, not Mar-Vell's.

As others have pointed out, this has unfortunate implications because it seems to suggest that being genetically superior all along is really inspiring and empowering. It's not an inspiring message, but they try to play it as though it is.

This is separate from whether the retcon is good or bad, which I don't want to argue about. And they certainly didn't do it for empowerment reasons, they did it because of orders to make everything more like the MCU. I just don't buy the comic's attempt to portray this as giving her more agency. For better or worse it just suggests that some people are just born lucky and Carol was one of them.

Extraordinary Member

Also now I have a new reason why Carol and the Scarlet Witch need to finally talk again: they need to bond over their editorially-mandated, MCU-compliant retcons.

Seriously, though, I hope Kelly Thompson surprises us with one Wanda appearance. That they haven't spoken since Avengers vs. X-Men makes it seem almost like Marvel wants that friendship unmentioned, but I doubt that.

The Kree Kleener really needs to get some clothes. Doesn't she know she could be arrested for indecent exposure in the state of Maine?

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Kree Kleaner? Seriously?
    Her brother is Formula 409.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
    Actually on Ms Marvel Vol.1 Carol was older than both her brothers, since Marie refers to her as her "firstborn". Apparently they messed that up later and she became the middle child.

And about the retcon... it feels more like an expansion of her origin than a retcon.
    Expansion or not, still it is a retcon. The past has been rewritten. Yourself gave the example in the first line: from older sibling to middle to younger; From fully human gifted by scifi acccident to hybid half-alien with natural born powers.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

It'd be pretty funny if there was some sort of miscommunication with the movie, and they have to change her origin again.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I mostly agree, but the when her mother told her that her powers are "not borrowed. Not a gift. Not an accident" it was clearly supposed to imply that this is more empowering for Carol than her original origin. That's why Carol reacts so strongly when she realizes that the powers are her own, not Mar-Vell's.

As others have pointed out, this has unfortunate implications because it seems to suggest that being genetically superior all along is really inspiring and empowering. It's not an inspiring message, but they try to play it as though it is.

This is separate from whether the retcon is good or bad, which I don't want to argue about. And they certainly didn't do it for empowerment reasons, they did it because of orders to make everything more like the MCU. I just don't buy the comic's attempt to portray this as giving her more agency. For better or worse it just suggests that some people are just born lucky and Carol was one of them.
    Well, just like some people are lucky to be born a mutant, an inhuman, to be bitten by a radioactive spider, to basically be in the right place at the right time. The point here for this retcon isn't whether she was born destined to have powers or whether it was an accident, the point for this retcon is who she got these powers from. And since Claremont's run, Carol has this issue with being seen as a female copy of Mar-Vell, which, honestly, the origin of her powers doesn't really help with that.

RCO030.jpg
    Yeah, they're probably doing this retcon because of the movie, but the movie is trying to make Carol more of her own person, and making her powers her own is, something that apparently is in the film, part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Expansion or not, still it is a retcon. The past has been rewritten. Yourself gave the example in the first line: from older sibling to middle to younger; From fully human gifted by scifi acccident to hybid half-alien with natural born powers.
    Yep, just saying that while reading it, it felt more like a "discovery" than the past being rewritten, but I get what you're saying.
    Last edited by Tantalus; 10-18-2018 at 07:21 PM.

If you wanna make Carol her own person, don't give her Superman's real name and Star-Lord's origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    If you wanna make Carol her own person, don't give her Superman's real name and Star-Lord's origin.
    It was an attempt to do that, but the Superman name is ridiculous, Car-Ell is just bluntly distasteful. Regarding Star-Lord, well, hybrids are everywhere, and he isn't the first, and surely not the last, to have this kind of origin.
    Last edited by Tantalus; 10-18-2018 at 07:28 PM.