Page 791 of 822 FirstFirst ... 291691741781787788789790791792793794795801 ... LastLast
Results 11,851 to 11,865 of 12326

He's not a lead (yet) but Bucky pretty much was kidnapped and helpless while he got his powers.

as you said not a lead.

Anyway Marvel is trying to make Captain Marvel their Superman and they may just pull it off. I'm just a little worried about these 11th hour changes. Normally Marvel tweaks things over a longer period of time and can gauge reactions. Or they go the opposite route for example Black Widow. Far from an A- List character but they've just allowed Scarlet to work her magic and build her up until they came up with a good idea for a solo film.
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

Captain Marvel should just change her name to Captain Retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm just not seeing it. Her being part Kree doesn't mitigate her former accomplishments at all.

Heck, Mar-Vell is full Kree. Do we think he's a lesser hero than Captain America or Moon Knight or Hawkeye etc because he was born with slightly greater physical abilities?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Does it?
    I didn't get that message. All I got was "Hey, remember that accident that gave you powers? Yeah, well..... that accident STILL gave you powers, but like, not from being next to that dude. Also, I'm an Alien."

Mama is JUST telling her "Hey gurl. You thought it was this one thing, but its this other thing. Also, look at my Kree gear. Crazy right? Sorry"
    Mama is NOT telling her "Hey gurl. GURL POWER. KREE ESTROGEN FOR THE WIN. Everything you strove for previously is meaningless because ALIEN, baby! Woo!"

She isn't even saying that her previous perception is BAD. She's just explaining that its inaccurate.
    This revelation is not a dis on Carol, or Mar Vell, or Men, or Humans, or the concept of hard work. Its literally just "Your powers aren't proximity based -- they're genetic."

Its really remarkable how so many of us have interpreted this issue in such vastly different ways.
    Yeah, these takes are how it strikes me.

Funny how this shift in information is striking a raw nerve for so many folks.

I learned things about myself when I was 18 that I had not previously known. Things that changed what I thought I had known to be true about my life and some of the major forces in my immediate constellation of relationships. It didn't change who I was, fundamentally, or what I had done, accomplished and struggled with up until then.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Yes, that is the message I got as well. "You didn't get your powers from a guy - they come from your mom."

For heaven's sake, you don't see Peter Parker angsting because he got his power from a freakin spider!

Not the same situation at all, it's not complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm just not seeing it. Her being part Kree doesn't mitigate her former accomplishments at all.

Heck, Mar-Vell is full Kree. Do we think he's a lesser hero than Captain America or Moon Knight or Hawkeye etc because he was born with slightly greater physical abilities?
    This. And there is also the fact that it was stated that she only got her powers after the explosion, so before it was Carol with no powers, in practical terms human Carol, who accomplished everything. It changes nothing.

What’s intriguing me the most is: why are some people acting like Carol had a thousand retcons?
    Last edited by Tantalus; 10-19-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    as you said not a lead.

Anyway Marvel is trying to make Captain Marvel their Superman and they may just pull it off. I'm just a little worried about these 11th hour changes. Normally Marvel tweaks things over a longer period of time and can gauge reactions. Or they go the opposite route for example Black Widow. Far from an A- List character but they've just allowed Scarlet to work her magic and build her up until they came up with a good idea for a solo film.
    Eh, they weren't going to put it in the movie anyway, besides, moments of helplessness are a classic part of the Heroes journey.

Tony Stark would have died without Ho Yinsen's help, Bruce Wayne couldn't save his parents, Bruce Banner couldn't stop his father from beating his mother to death.

Spider-Man couldn't prevent the lab accident that gave powers him, and even after he got those his indifference cost him his uncle. Wolverine had powers and experience. He still ended up in a tube getting adamantium bonded to him.

Steve Rogers was in no shape to fight before no drugs, Luke Skywalker got his hand chopped off before he fought Vader.

John Lambton catches a weird fish thing and instead of dealing with it throws it in a well were it becomes a great big dragon.

And on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    More fuel to the fire: Bening mentions being a combatant in action scenes...
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/09...g-teases-role/

ALSO: Should we split off discussions of the movie from the Appreciation thread since spoilers and criticism aren’t “appropriate”?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Movie discussion in general is probably not appropriate (and all movie conversations should be in spoiler tags), but discussions of how a comic could affect a movie are usually fine. I also don't think criticism of a specific story is out of bounds as long as it's coming from the perspective of a fan of the character. 85% of the people who go to the Black Panther thread hate the current story, for example.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

How did Margaret Stohl extract this origin story of Mari-Ell and Car-Ell from the intricately woven story of Carol Danvers so far? It was a phenomenal piece of work I never saw coming, but makes a lot of sense. Especially the part where Brian Reed makes Carol, a CIA agent, captured and she breaks her own arm to escape and hit her enemies with the broken arm. That explains the Kree war mentality and Carols genes as a high ranking Kree child.

I didn’t like the cover though. I really wanted to see Mari-Ell’s White and green costume on the cover, because she’s the real hero of this story. The way she held her Kree nature back so she could live a human life, and struggled the whole time with Joseph, and humanity in general. I want a mini series of just how difficult it was to suck it up and not make war with Earth, but change her nature. I also want to know what this Kree war culture is like that they can’t have family.

It was a wonderful story, because it really rounds off all that urge for Carol to be the best super hero that ever lived. Now she knows she was this special super hero all along, and she doesn’t have to prove it now. Her mother proved it for her. I think Carol will sparkle from this. She is related directly to Mar-Vell, to Protector, to that Kree-Skrull hybrid whose the boyfriend of Wanda’s son. (Spiderwoman and the Black Widow are going to have to see their friend in a new way now).

We haven’t really delved into the Kree mythology and their full connection to Earth and the Inhumans, with the constant revisiting by Kree sources. You wonder how much Earth is Kree and maybe super heroes aren’t all that strange on this planet anymore. Margaret Stohl, I hope you know what you’ve done?
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-22-2018 at 11:27 PM.

She's not on the covers because it would've resulted in a major spoiler in the solicits. They did use the reveal page from issue 3 on a second printing cover.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cap...=9781789091656

Carol's getting a prose novel called Captain Marvel: Liberations run, out Febuary next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Distraction View Post
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cap...=9781789091656

Carol's getting a prose novel called Captain Marvel: Liberations run, out Febuary next year.
    Fun!

The prose novels have been kind of hit or miss, but I'll still check it out.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Nice pecs on that Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post

We haven’t really delved into the Kree mythology and their full connection to Earth and the Inhumans, with the constant revisiting by Kree sources. You wonder how much Earth is Kree and maybe super heroes aren’t all that strange on this planet anymore. Margaret Stohl, I hope you know what you’ve done?
    There's been a whole mess of content about the Kree but a lot of it had been retcon and continues to. As seen by this new retcon about their physiology.