Page 767 of 822 FirstFirst ... 267667717757763764765766767768769770771777817 ... LastLast
Results 11,491 to 11,505 of 12326

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I suppose the only thing left to say (and how did I get here before the Corps?) is

Yaas Queen!!
    Omg. Of course. How didn't I remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    They're not allowed to use characters they don't own. That doesn't mean they can't make an homage - particularly since I'm talking about the plot of Avengers Annual 10 when it comes to Carol's memory loss.
    Yeah, they can adapt that issue just fine if they don't mention Rogue.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm surprised Brie Larson's voice for Carol is so soft and young. I get part of that is probably the Kree brainwashing, but it's not what I usually associate with her Captain Marvel voice.
    Put it down to the amnesia - she's seems to have forgotten her Bawwwstun accent too, yah hyeah?
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

One of the weird things is Chris Claremont specifically mentions her Boston accent, but he never writes it in a phonetic accent. To me, that at least says it's a mild accent. Her dad, on the other hand, sounds like he just came from Fenway Park, imo.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    -What is the timeline for these events.
    -How does Carol get her powers.
    -How does she end up in space.
    -What's up with this team that she's on.
    -How long is she working with/for the Kree.
    -WTH was that machine that they had her restrained in (upside down it would appear).
    -How/why does she go back to Earth.
    -Is Jude Law playing a hero or villain.
    I'll take a punt at the general story/timeline.

• Late-80s (told in flashbacks) - where she's a USAF pilot who encounters the Kree and gets powered up in an explosion - and loses her memories in the process. The Kree take her away with them once they realise what's happened.
    • Mid-90s (bulk of the movie) - she returns to Earth on a Skrull-crushing mission and perhaps to find out if it's the place where her flashbacks come from. She gets picked up by SHIELD and shown her past/meets Rambeau. After all the explosions and punching is done the Kree lay claim to her once again, agreeing to leave the Earth alone if she goes back with them (Ronan's judicial decision?)
    • 2019 (mid credits scene) - receives Fury's pager message and zips back in time for Infinity War part 2.

I think Jude Law is playing Yon-Rogg. Mar-Vell will die in the explosion which gives Carol her powers. Maybe she takes his name as her codename in Starforce.
    The machine she was bound in is probably something the Kree are using to charge her up/stabilise her powers? - just not enough to go on with there yet.
    Fury comes out of this with the whole 'hilariously out-gunned' thing he was on about in the Avengers movie - he and SHIELD are now aware, via Carol and the Kree, of just how small the Earth is on the galactic stage. Maybe there'll be a mention of Asgardian protection being the reason the Earth's not been conquered before now. Carol's line "I'm not what you think I am", comes when she's revealing to Fury that she works as part of a Kree Empire deathsquad.
    Last edited by snark^; 09-18-2018 at 07:18 PM.
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

So, just read Life of Captain Marvel #03 and...

Beginning of spoilers

Apparently Carol's mom is a Kree? The last page of the issue shows her mom suddenly wearing a Kree uniform after the blue alien lady comes after Carol, and her mom says that the alien is coming for her, not for Carol, and Carol looks confused as hell, and so I am. And the affair that Carol's dad had wasn't with a human, and the woman looks a lot like her mom (at least from a distance it looks like, and that is what the comic showed). Anyway, before her mom appears with the Kree uniform, she talks about how she promised Carol's father she wouldn't tell Carol about something in specific, and starts talking to Carol about how the best thing that happened in her life was an accident, but she didn't complete what she was saying because Carol had a panic attack and fainted. Anyway, I already don't like this idea of her mom having any involvement with the Kree, or aliens, or superpowers. For me the whole deal about Carol is that her struggles with her family are relatable, and that doesn't make it relatable at all. I really hope her mom isn't Kree and I really hope the explanation for this doesn't make her mom super involved with aliens and etc. I don't know, I'm kinda torn apart because that just feels extra and unnecessary. What's with this need of every character having this special heritage with super powered/hero/rich parents? Gee. Let them be nobodies. Trying to not jump to conclusions here and see how this ends. At least now I'm really interested to see the end and the outcome of Life of Captain Marvel.

End of spoilers

Ps: sorry guys, still don't know how to make the typical spoiler box that is used here

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    I’m getting Phoenix vibes from this.
    Binary always has been Carol’s own Phoenix-like level up.

So excited they’re already including it.

Ultimate Member

Binary's morel like going Super Saiyan imo. But perhaps that's just the anime fan in me talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Binary's morel like going Super Saiyan imo. But perhaps that's just the anime fan in me talking.
    The shonen and superhero genres do have a lot in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    One of the weird things is Chris Claremont specifically mentions her Boston accent, but he never writes it in a phonetic accent. To me, that at least says it's a mild accent. Her dad, on the other hand, sounds like he just came from Fenway Park, imo.
    I fully expected her to be doing an over-the-top boston accent in the trailer; like something out of The Departed.

Quote Originally Posted by snark^ View Post

• Late-80s (told in flashbacks) - where she's a USAF pilot who encounters the Kree and gets powered up in an explosion - and loses her memories in the process. The Kree take her away with them once they realise what's happened.
    • Mid-90s (bulk of the movie) - she returns to Earth on a Skrull-crushing mission and perhaps to find out if it's the place where her flashbacks come from. She gets picked up by SHIELD and shown her past/meets Rambeau. After all the explosions and punching is done the Kree lay claim to her once again, agreeing to leave the Earth alone if she goes back with them (Ronan's judicial decision?)
    • 2019 (mid credits scene) - receives Fury's pager message and zips back in time for Infinity War part 2.

I think Jude Law is playing Yon-Rogg. Mar-Vell will die in the explosion which gives Carol her powers. Maybe she takes his name as her codename in Starforce.
    The machine she was bound in is probably something the Kree are using to charge her up/stabilise her powers? - just not enough to go on with there yet.
    Fury comes out of this with the whole 'hilariously out-gunned' thing he was on about in the Avengers movie - he and SHIELD are now aware, via Carol and the Kree, of just how small the Earth is on the galactic stage. Maybe there'll be a mention of Asgardian protection being the reason the Earth's not been conquered before now. Carol's line "I'm not what you think I am", comes when she's revealing to Fury that she works as part of a Kree Empire deathsquad.
    I think this is 95% spot on. This is exactly what I was thinking, specifically the Yon-Rogg thing. Only part I think differently is minor: "I'm not what you think I am." I believe this takes place when she's reintroduced to Maria Rambaeu. You'll notice kinky hair in the bottom of the screen, and I think Carol is with Maria and has been introduced to Monica as a child here.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

I enjoyed the teaser/trailer. Especially the quick sequences of her standing her ground from childhood to adulthood. About her voice, my thought is how it’s a reflection of her youth here, and that as we move into the present, we might see a more adult like demeanor. An older Carol perhaps with shorter hair, stronger voice in Avengers 4. I thought her youthfulness was really center stage with this trailer very much on purpose. Imagine at the end of the movie seeing an older veteran Captain Marvel receiving Fury’s text. After all it’ll be 20 some odd years from her debut.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by snark^ View Post

It's also possible that they borrow from the first few issues of Ms Marvel where it's explained that Mar-Vell's memories and abilities got mixed up with her own due to the explosion. So, she'll call herself Capt Marvel cuz she thinks she is him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
    So, just read Life of Captain Marvel #03 and...

Beginning of spoilers

Apparently Carol's mom is a Kree? The last page of the issue shows her mom suddenly wearing a Kree uniform after the blue alien lady comes after Carol, and her mom says that the alien is coming for her, not for Carol, and Carol looks confused as hell, and so I am. And the affair that Carol's dad had wasn't with a human, and the woman looks a lot like her mom (at least from a distance it looks like, and that is what the comic showed). Anyway, before her mom appears with the Kree uniform, she talks about how she promised Carol's father she wouldn't tell Carol about something in specific, and starts talking to Carol about how the best thing that happened in her life was an accident, but she didn't complete what she was saying because Carol had a panic attack and fainted. Anyway, I already don't like this idea of her mom having any involvement with the Kree, or aliens, or superpowers. For me the whole deal about Carol is that her struggles with her family are relatable, and that doesn't make it relatable at all. I really hope her mom isn't Kree and I really hope the explanation for this doesn't make her mom super involved with aliens and etc. I don't know, I'm kinda torn apart because that just feels extra and unnecessary. What's with this need of every character having this special heritage with super powered/hero/rich parents? Gee. Let them be nobodies. Trying to not jump to conclusions here and see how this ends. At least now I'm really interested to see the end and the outcome of Life of Captain Marvel.

End of spoilers

Ps: sorry guys, still don't know how to make the typical spoiler box that is used here
    i can't say that I super-care about any retcons with carol. She was mostly unused, in space-limbo as Binary during my initial schoolkid-era comics reading (aside from random back-issues I may have come across).. Kurt Busiek's decision to return the character to the Avengers circa 1998 "Heroes Return", was my first sustained exposure to the character (and very enjoyable).. so all of the traditional canon and dogma for her backstory just isn't top of mind for me..
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 09-19-2018 at 08:51 AM.