Page 12 of 822 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112512 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I really, really don't think that's likely. The fact is, the only Mar-Vell story that matters is his death. I'm sorry to his fans, but few people really care about his fights with Thanos, and even fewer people care about anything else he ever did. He's a character who just doesn't matter, and never really did, no matter how hard Marvel tried to push him.
    Yeah because it's not like the Kree/Skrull War storyline isn't important.
    And Why do you feel the need to say such harsh things about Mar-Vell or his fans?
    To say he never really mattered... just wow. He mattered to a lot of us.

I've enjoyed every person who has carried the name Captain Marvel.
    There's no need to be this dismissive because you don't care for him.

They all matter.
    Last edited by Alvarez; 05-06-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    And Why do you feel the need to say such harsh things about Mar-Vell or his fans?

I've enjoyed every person who has carried the name Captain Marvel.
    There's no need to be this dismissive because you don't care for him.

They all matter.
    The Kree-Skrull War was an Avengers story, not a Mar-Vell story.

He mattered to his fans. My point is that he doesn't actually have that many fans. He didn't have all that many back in the day, and he has even fewer now. He's not a character who matters to most people. For the average comic book reader, about the only thing they know about him is he died. That's the big Mar-Vell story - not his life, but his death.

He's simply not relevant these days. Far less so than Carol.

BANNED

The Kree-Skrull War was an Avengers story, not a Mar-Vell story.

He mattered to his fans. My point is that he doesn't actually have that many fans. He didn't have all that many back in the day, and he has even fewer now. He's not a character who matters to most people. For the average comic book reader, about the only thing they know about him is he died. That's the big Mar-Vell story - not his life, but his death.

He's simply not relevant these days. Far less so than Carol.
    One that Mar-Vell was at the center of...

and thanks for telling me one of the characters I love and enjoy doesn't matter. Feels pretty good.
    I mean, popularity is clearly the only way to determine if something is important to acknowledge.

Despite Carol's low sales I still enjoy her... but whatever.

I think as far as Carol's story goes, the most important thing about Mar-Vell is his death and passing his powers to her. If the movie is about Mar-Vell, then he should be a big central focus, but if it's about Carol, not as much.

Also, IIRC, they can't do the Kree/Skrull War because Marvel sold the movie rights to the Skrulls to Fox.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Trouble View Post
    I think as far as Carol's story goes, the most important thing about Mar-Vell is his death and passing his powers to her. If the movie is about Mar-Vell, then he should be a big central focus, but if it's about Carol, not as much.
    I agree. A Captain Marvel film SHOULD be about Carol.
    The opening would have Mar-Vell though.

- Captain Mar-Vell is an old Kree hero who has fought the likes of Thanos, going on one last mission.
    - He fights Yon-Rog and in the process is hit by a mass energy wave, Carol is hit as well.
    - In order to save her he transfers the power from his Nega Bands into her.
    - Through the movie he is her mentor, teaching her the ways of the Kree.
    - He's hiding the fact that he's actually dying of cancer.
    - The villain is still Yon-Rog and Carol must face him at the end.
    - When she returns to Mar-Vell she finds him at his last moments.
    - The film closes with Mar-Vell gone and Carol heading to the stars.

It gets rid of the Nitro stuff... but that's fine for a movies sake.

One that Mar-Vell was at the center of...

and thanks for telling me one of the characters I love and enjoy doesn't matter. Feels pretty good.
    I mean, popularity is clearly the only way to determine if something is important to acknowledge.

Despite Carol's low sales I still enjoy her... but whatever.
    You're taking this a bit more personally than I'm intending it.

Mar-Vell was a character Marvel tried to make huge, and while he had fans, the main thing that kept him in books was his name - Marvel wanted to retain the trademark. The only stories he was involved in that were really successful were with the Avengers - his own stories didn't really connect with people. The ideas behind them had a much more lasting impact than the stories themselves. Everyone knows the whole "alien spy who betrays his people" angle, but few people really care about the actual stories. People know the whole "bonded through Nega-bands" angle, but again, the premise has a lot more fans than the actual stories that came out of it.

The one exception - the one Mar-Vell story that remains relevant - was his death. His death had far more meaning and impact than his life.

And my point to it all is that Marvel's not going to give him his own movie. There'd be no point to it. He's not really relevant any more, and hasn't been for 30 years.

I'm not bashing the character or his fans. I'm simply stating reality. Given a choice between all the people to use the Captain Marvel name, the one with the best chance of getting a movie is Carol. She's the most reasonable choice for Marvel to go with. Mar-Vell wasn't able to keep people's attentions 30 years ago, he's not going to have any greater success today. Carol stands a much, much better chance at being successful.

BANNED

You're taking this a bit more personally than I'm intending it.

Mar-Vell was a character Marvel tried to make huge, and while he had fans, the main thing that kept him in books was his name - Marvel wanted to retain the trademark. The only stories he was involved in that were really successful were with the Avengers - his own stories didn't really connect with people. The ideas behind them had a much more lasting impact than the stories themselves. Everyone knows the whole "alien spy who betrays his people" angle, but few people really care about the actual stories. People know the whole "bonded through Nega-bands" angle, but again, the premise has a lot more fans than the actual stories that came out of it.

The one exception - the one Mar-Vell story that remains relevant - was his death. His death had far more meaning and impact than his life.

And my point to it all is that Marvel's not going to give him his own movie. There'd be no point to it. He's not really relevant any more, and hasn't been for 30 years.

I'm not bashing the character or his fans. I'm simply stating reality. Given a choice between all the people to use the Captain Marvel name, the one with the best chance of getting a movie is Carol. She's the most reasonable choice for Marvel to go with. Mar-Vell wasn't able to keep people's attentions 30 years ago, he's not going to have any greater success today. Carol stands a much, much better chance at being successful.
    When did I ever say Mar-Vell should get his own film or would?
    I said he should be IN the movie.

When did I ever say Mar-Vell should get his own film or would?
    I said he should be IN the movie.
    And I never said you said he should get his own movie. Xalfrea was the one who seemed to be indicating that s/he thought Mar-Vell would be the star of a movie, and I was saying why that's unlikely, and why any Captain Marvel movie is likely to keep Mar-Vell's presence fairly limited.

I did see someone - on another site - give a rundown for a Captain Marvel movie, which I thought would be a terrible idea. It would basically have Carol be a human all through, trying to help Mar-Vell deal with a Kree invasion, culminating in Mar-Vell sacrificing himself to stop the invasion. I thought this would be the absolute worst way of going about it, because it turns Mar-Vell - the man - into the hero again, with the woman basically being a supporting character in what was ostensibly her own movie. because this guy was still saying it would be a Carol Danvers movie, even though she wouldn't be the one with powers, wouldn't be the one driving the plot, and wouldn't be the one who saves the day. It would be a terrible, terrible way of going about it.

I still say the best way to do it would be to have Mar-Vell's death be the end of the first act. Get him out of the way early, so that he doesn't draw any attention from Carol. It's her movie, so make it her movie.

id like to see the newest suit in the old ms marvel color scheme does that kind of fan art exist

Quote Originally Posted by tori pagac View Post
    id like to see the newest suit in the old ms marvel color scheme does that kind of fan art exist
    You mean dominant red with blue accents? Well, there is this from the previous volume. Drawn by Emma Rios. It's Helen Cobb in the suit. Close enough to what you're looking for, I figure.

BANNED

I still say the best way to do it would be to have Mar-Vell's death be the end of the first act. Get him out of the way early, so that he doesn't draw any attention from Carol. It's her movie, so make it her movie.
    If he's a mentor and supporting character, it wouldn't really draw away from her though.

In regards to a Ms./Captain Marvel movie, I can't see them bothering with using Mar-Vell, given how the only important thing he ever did was die. I'm thinking that they may either:
    A) Use Carol and remove Mar-Vell from the equation, or
    B) Skip over Carol and go right to Kamala (with adjustments to her origin).
    Last edited by Myetche; 05-06-2014 at 09:27 PM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

The idea of having Mar-vell in a Carol movie but in a limited role does sound like a good compromise, actually.

As for Kamala, I think a movie with her is way too soon. But I can can see her having a series on Netflix if the Defenders stuff does well.,

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    B) Skip over Carol and go right to Kamala (with adjustments to her origin).
    As much as I love her... there is no way that would happen.
    Making her Captain Marvel for the movie? Not likely at all.

Carol is the obvious choice.

If he's a mentor and supporting character, it wouldn't really draw away from her though.
    Just the same, I'd be wary of going that route.