Page 1 of 822 123451151101501 ... LastLast

Default Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) Appreciation - "Higher, Further, Faster, More!"

Ms. Marvel Binary Warbird Captain Marvel
    Carol Danvers Appreciation Thread!
    Official Home of the CBR Carol Corps!

When U.S. Air Force officer Col. Carol Danvers was caught in the explosion of an alien device with the Kree warrior Captain Marvel, Carol's genetic code was irreversibly altered, granting her the power to fly, incredible strength, and an ability to harness and project energy. The two were allies for a time, until Captain Marvel lost his life. Now, Carol has chosen to take up the mantle in his honor. She's an intergalactic adventurer, a space-faring super heroine, and an Avenger.

She's Earth's Mightiest Hero, the all-new... Captain Marvel!

Welcome to thread v2.5, Carol Corps!

(Play nice, kids.)

Seeing the evolution of Carol is great, though I must admit I much prefer her new outfit when she has long hair. Short hair and the new outfit just looks blegh to me.

I'm only slightly familiar with Carol. Over the years, how much has her overall personality and character quirks changed as she passed from costume and mantle?

I haven't really kept up with this title like I intended to. How is the new series?

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    I haven't really kept up with this title like I intended to. How is the new series?
    I'm admittedly as biased as they come. I have, indeed, imbibed my share of the Carol Corps kool-aid.

... however, it's fun so far! We're only two issues in so it's hard to say much about the overall direction of it or anything. It seems to be a bit more light-hearted in tone than volume one, which has been enjoyable.

formerly 'saucemaster' saucemaster's Avatar

Two Carol appreciation boards?! Sorry Debbox, but I am going with lilyinblue because hers includes pictures!

Sounds good. I plan on picking up the first trade, and if I like it I'll get the individual issues from there.

I'm kinda in the minority in that I didn't really love KSD'S first run, but I really want to like Carol, so I figure it's worth a second shot.

Quote Originally Posted by saucemaster View Post
    Two Carol appreciation boards?! Sorry Debbox, but I am going with lilyinblue because hers includes pictures!
    Whoops. Seems like I beat him to the punch by exactly a minute... per the timestamps. Heh.

(I just took my opening post from the previous thread. I cheat.)

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Seeing the evolution of Carol is great, though I must admit I much prefer her new outfit when she has long hair. Short hair and the new outfit just looks blegh to me.

I'm only slightly familiar with Carol. Over the years, how much has her overall personality and character quirks changed as she passed from costume and mantle?
    How has she changed...

That's a good question.

She's always been competitive and a bit of a hot-head. That hasn't changed since day 1. She suffered through a lot of AWFUL things in the late 70s/early 80s which led to some self-esteem issues and poor behavior through the 90s and early 2000s. But, with the new Captain Marvel iteration... she's shed a lot of the hang-ups about herself and her past, and seems to be in a much more positive, healthy place.

Also, she has a cat now.

LMAO, I think "awful" is an understatement when describing Avengers #200.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Whoops. Seems like I beat him to the punch by exactly a minute... per the timestamps. Heh.

(I just took my opening post from the previous thread. I cheat.)

I do appreciate that you each appeared to sacrifice your inaugural post by starting a Carol Appreciation thread.
    I just wasted mine complaining that my 2004 join date was lost.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post

Also, she has a cat now.
    Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post

The interesting thing about Carol I think is that her overall personality hasn't changed that much, but the way she is treated has changed a lot. When she was first introduced as a supporting character for Mar-Vell, her assertiveness was portrayed as a bad thing, and she was often getting in trouble and having to be rescued. There was a bit of a tug-of-war in the 80s between the Avengers, who didn't seem to like her very much, and Chris Claremont, who liked her a lot and rescued her character from the horror of Avengers #200. In the 90s, she was mostly forgotten, except for a significant part of the Operation Galactic Storm crossover where she helped reignite the Sun in order to save the world. Of course, doing this burned out her powers for a while and she didn't get much to do until Busiek brought her back in the late 90s in Avengers and Iron Man, where he gave her the alcoholism storyline, which was a great storyline for highlighting both her strengths and her weaknesses. In the 00s, Bendis tried to promote her, but I felt like he never really got a good handle on her character, and Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel series was really hit or miss, though it did have some good parts.

Just to get it out of the way: Her current name and uniform are better than her old one.

OK, OK, I'll play nice.

I do love KSD's Carol, though. It's my favourite. It feels closest to the original Roy Thomas Carol Danvers.

And Chewie's awesome. Obviously.

I'm really enjoying the new series, especially since I wasn't crazy about Carol in space. But it's moving along, it's fun, Carol is confident and powerful, and Chewie is cool. But I hope we see Lt. Trouble now and again.

And I'm going to pretend that there was a soft reboot, and Avengers 200 never happened.