Page 661 of 822 FirstFirst ... 161561611651657658659660661662663664665671711761 ... LastLast
Results 9,901 to 9,915 of 12326

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    He didn't bring his A game to that cover then
    If you say so. I'm certainly not seeing what you're talking about. It's looser than his usual work, but that's about all I see different.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Well I'm not about to sit here and explain the differences between the male and female skeletal structures. It's something that aspiring artists have to understand if they want to be taken seriously. I wouldn't expect a professional to completely botch anatomy 101. He clearly shows an understanding in his other artworks (which are very good), but his reputation and previous work doesn't mean that cover should get a free pass. It won't get him one with me. That's not professional level artwork, at all!

Phil Noto's one of my favorite artists.

Well I'm not about to sit here and explain the differences between the male and female skeletal structures. It's something that aspiring artists have to understand if they want to be taken seriously. I wouldn't expect a professional to completely botch anatomy 101. He clearly shows an understanding in his other artworks (which are very good), but his reputation and previous work doesn't mean that cover should get a free pass. It won't get him one with me. That's not professional level artwork, at all!
    I understand the textbook differences just fine. Wider shoulders on men, narrower on women. V-shaped torsos on men, wider hips on women, yadda yadda. But those are just guidelines. It's only bad anatomy if one thinks that men and women (even athletic ones, as here) only come in those shapes, and that's clearly not the case.

Besides, even if that's incorrect, everything else is just fine: head shape and size in relation to the rest of the body, musculature, limb length and positioning, hand size, and so on.

I guess what I'm saying, again, is that you have no business calling this amateur. At all. At best you're nitpicking.
    Last edited by Caivu; 08-22-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

BANNED

Don't forget that women have a wider pelvis due to being able to bear children. I'm not talking about muscle mass or fat placement, I'm talking about the skeletal structure which is not the same for both sexes. The length and width of arms, legs and even the shape of the skull are different. The skeletal structure is what determines the ratios of the figure. The flesh can be shaped to give the appearance of wider or narrower proportions but only to an extent, and that doesn't happen often without hormone treatments and surgery. This figure that Nat in particular has is completely unbelievable (and I mean that in the literal sense, not the figurative). I fully expect that if I were to try and submit art like this for critique I would be told to go back to basic figure training.

I'm not pissing on the content of the book or personally attacking the artist, I'm giving an honest opinion of what jumps out at me about that cover, not nitpicking. It looks uninspired and lazy, to be completely honest. Like the artist wasn't even trying. I can deal with Squirrel Girl's art because it looks stylized and it still grasps basic anatomy. This cover we're discussing is not something I would pay a dime for. It's certainly not something I would aspire to as an artist.

Don't forget that women have a wider pelvis due to being able to bear children. I'm not talking about muscle mass or fat placement, I'm talking about the skeletal structure which is not the same for both sexes.
    I know about that, too. You're right that they're not the same... but there can also be overlap. You can't positively ID a human skeleton's sex just from the hip shape.

This figure that Nat in particular has is completely unbelievable (and I mean that in the literal sense, not the figurative).
    No, it really isn't.

I fully expect that if I were to try and submit art like this for critique I would be told to go back to basic figure training.
    Oh, come on, don't exaggerate. This is not bad enough to fully redraw, and would easily get a pass from every art professor I had.

I'm not pissing on the content of the book or personally attacking the artist, I'm giving an honest opinion of what jumps out at me about that cover, not nitpicking. It looks uninspired and lazy, to be completely honest. Like the artist wasn't even trying. I can deal with Squirrel Girl's art because it looks stylized and it still grasps basic anatomy. This cover we're discussing is not something I would pay a dime for. It's certainly not something I would aspire to as an artist.
    You're objecting to a relatively minor part of the image that isn't even bad, and calling it amateur. I think "nitpicking" is putting it kindly. I really don't get why it bugs you so much.

BANNED

I'm only defending my opinion. I didn't fall out of bed this morning and decide to not like that cover. I believe I have legitimate reasons to criticize it. I'm not willing to dwell on it though.

I think that cover is bad too, even though I usually like Noto's art. Idk about female anatomy or anything, but it just looks ugly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Um. I would think twice about calling Phil Noto's work "amateur". He's one of the best in the business.
    Oh yeah. Phil Noto's figures are very realistic in style (caveat: in comparison to most other comic artists) and he doesn't do the exaggerated bust and bums that are commonly used in comicbook art styles. Letting the reader instantly id a figure as a particular hero is a must in comicbooks and 'enhancing' a figure's proportions is an easy way of doing that - unless you're as good as Noto and don't need to bother with that kind of cartoonishness. He can do that by subtle angles, poses and composition.
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

Oh bother.

BANNED

I hope we get more of America and Monica this time but that cover doesn't make me hopeful. I am very tempted to spend Captain Marvel's alloted money on some Coldstone ice cream instead.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

I hope we get more of America and Monica this time but that cover doesn't make me hopeful. I am very tempted to spend Captain Marvel's alloted money on some Coldstone ice cream instead.
    I have to sadly agree the alpha flight cadets presence has been annoying to say the least and I feel that theyre also taking the spotlight from Carol in her own book.

The series will hopefully get better with captain marvel #125 which is what the series will be renumbered to for marvel legacy starting in October there it will start its new arc.

I'm actually considering dropping this when the SE arc ends. We need a new writer who isn't going to cram in bleedin' kids and we need a new damn direction because these space stories the past two series have been garbage.
    I surrender to the Contest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    I'm actually considering dropping this when the SE arc ends. We need a new writer who isn't going to cram in bleedin' kids and we need a new damn direction because these space stories the past two series have been garbage.
    I'll stick around but I agree with both your points!
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers