Page 795 of 822 FirstFirst ... 295695745785791792793794795796797798799805 ... LastLast
Results 11,911 to 11,925 of 12326
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Can you summarize the BleedingCool article?
    Apparently the movie is taking much of Carol's character inspiration from Kelly Sue Deconnick's time on the character. How does anyone feel about that ?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I think her run is very good. That being said, Marvel has done a great job of drawing from different eras even if there is a primary focus so I doubt it'll entirely be her run - especially since they've included Star Force from Operation Galactic Storm.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Next up are the Chris Claremont issues. I'm curious to see how things change. Claremont has some flaws as a writer, but I know he prides himself on having strong female characters.
    Claremont didn't particularly like what he inherited. He didn't like Mary Jane was a supporting character -- because Carol should have had her own cast. He didn't like the split personalities, but that didn't change in her first year.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Yeah, I notice that I haven't seen Mary Jane in a while but a supporting cast has started to appear (many of which reappeared in the Kelly Sue DeConnick run).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Apparently the movie is taking much of Carol's character inspiration from Kelly Sue Deconnick's time on the character. How does anyone feel about that ?
    Fine by me, and totally expected. Lots of talented people have put work into Carol over the years, but KSD's run hit a note none of the others did and ushered Carol into the "Captain" mantle, so I always figured they'd be pulling a lot from her run for the movie. I'd have been surprised if they said they were looking at any other run by any other creator as their main inspiration, honestly.

But like others have said, the MCU pulls from everywhere so its not like this is going to *just* be what KSD contributed.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I thought we already knew this.

BANNED

afaik KSD's run sold poorly and was dull

I liked the characterization during the Infinity tie ins, especially since the overall plot of that event was interesting and it brought back binary, but tbh it was ok outside of that...

I would've preferred more from Brian Reed's run.
    Or even Busiek's avengers during kang dynasty
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 11-12-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Sold poorly? It lasted three years, though there was a relaunch in the middle (around the same time Kamala debuted).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Also Feige and co likely do not care much about how the comic sold anyway. They care about whether or not they can take elements from it to make a successful movie or not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sold poorly? It lasted three years, though there was a relaunch in the middle (around the same time Kamala debuted).
    The vol 1 for carol's captain marvel (so vol 7 I think?) by the 9th issue it was being ordered at below 20k units according to comichron. The vol 8 was below 20k by the 9th issue as well. Now okay, comic sales aren't everything. Many beloved charas sell poorly as well.

Like, sure movie can still be absolutely amazing, but the run it was inspired by wasn't well received (or atleast I've heard as many complaints as praise) and the trailer was also quite polarizing

Plus there's the whole feige saying she'd be the strongest ever, so there's already fan resistance to the character after they've seen thor/hulk and carol isn't the strongest in the comics like that either (they seemingly are okay with scarlet witch that strong however, Im assuming because of house of M)
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 11-13-2018 at 08:54 AM.

That run also ushered in a significant crop of new fans too -- myself included.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I thought we already knew this.
    Pretty much. Brie had posted a picture of her reading KSD's book as a part of her study for the character, so it was pretty clear where the inspiration was coming from. The first official poster used KSD's quote and had Chewie as an easter-egg. I mean, even without all of that, it doesn't take rocket science to assume that the book that introduced us to Carol as Captain Marvel would be a huge source of inspiration for the movie with the same name. That book is probably the reason why the movie exists as it is, so I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised with this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    That run also ushered in a significant crop of new fans too -- myself included.
    I will give it this. It ushered a new wave of fans for danvers which I'm happy for and it shows in popularity polls
    It also paved way to some extent for other female lead comics with less sexualized costumes/body language (even when the character isn't a sexual type or isn't a sexual situation)

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    The vol 1 for carol's captain marvel (so vol 7 I think?) by the 9th issue it was being ordered at below 20k units according to comichron. The vol 8 was below 20k by the 9th issue as well. Now okay, comic sales aren't everything. Many beloved charas sell poorly as well.
    That means nothing. Digital and trades matter too. Alonso used to cancel books for being below 20k direct market orders, that's why Captain Marvel was relaunched. But Cebulski now knows that Alonso was being short sighted, and that some books do sell well digitally or in trade despite low direct market orders. That's why Unstoppable Wasp got revived, Iceman got a new mini commissioned, and why Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl, and Ms Marvel are in no danger of cancellation.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

That means nothing. Digital and trades matter too. Alonso used to cancel books for being below 20k direct market orders, that's why Captain Marvel was relaunched. But Cebulski now knows that Alonso was being short sighted, and that some books do sell well digitally or in trade despite low direct market orders. That's why Unstoppable Wasp got revived, Iceman got a new mini commissioned, and why Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl, and Ms Marvel are in no danger of cancellation.
    I feel there's a difference between selling well vs selling poorly, but still managing to keep safe by turning an overall profit through other channels

I know Ms marvel does excellent in trades (and basically one of the top sellers in that category) and her digital used to be equal with direct market. I've seen news where I think she's sold 500,000 trades so far.

I think moongirl keeps safe by doing well in scholastic book fairs

I'm not entirely sure if Captain marvel does well digitally or in fairs/trades. Like bookscan doesn't seem to have KSD trades in their top list. Though I think the "Higher, further, faster, more" trade is a best seller on amazon