Page 783 of 822 FirstFirst ... 283683733773779780781782783784785786787793 ... LastLast
Results 11,731 to 11,745 of 12326
    Extraordinary Member

It would be funny if the movie turned out to have a different origin and they had to rewrite her story again.

Also this reminds me a lot of the reveal of Teddy's origin in Young Avengers, right down to the reveal that his mother was actually an alien in disguise (a Skrull, not Kree, but it turned out he was both).

Kree Kleaner? Seriously?

Now she is both Superman (Car-Ell/ Kal-El) and Supergirl (Carol Danvers/Kara Danvers) lol

Anyway, still not sure how I feel about this. Honestly, I always thought that Carol's origin of her powers related to Mar-Vell was kinda meh, and the same applies to her claim to the Captain Marvel title, and I like the idea of her mother being the origin of her powers, because it makes everything more meaningful, but I don't know if I like the way the story is being executed. Maybe they will also come up with another reason to her having the Captain Marvel title.

And well, I believe this retcon is coming because the comics want to be in synch with the movie. Marvel Studios already stated that her origin was too similar to Hal Jordan's, and that they would change it in the movie, and, well, this retcon definitely makes her origin different than Hal Jordan's origin.
    Last edited by Tantalus; 10-13-2018 at 12:33 PM.

It already was. Nova's going to need a new origin if he ever appears in the MCU. Richard actually got his helmet from a crashed alien the same way Hal obtained his original ring. Carol's origin is nothing like that.

This change, making Carol half-Kree from birth instead of due to DNA merging, didn't actually remove the thing Hal and Carol had in common - they were both fighter pilots.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It already was. Nova's going to need a new origin if he ever appears in the MCU. Richard actually got his helmet from a crashed alien the same way Hal obtained his original ring. Carol's origin is nothing like that.

This change, making Carol half-Kree from birth instead of due to DNA merging, didn't actually remove the thing Hal and Carol had in common - they were both fighter pilots.
    The fact that Carol got her powers from an alien in a explosion also could drag comparisons. At least they're trying to differentiate her from that, but honestly, I never thought they were too similar. Nova's origin is waaaaay more similar to Hal's than Carol's is.

I dont think it's a concern, really. No one other than people like us remember the Green Lantern movie.

And if Carol's film is good it won't matter anyway; no one is gonna give a damn.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

So they actually did it, Car-ell, this is just stupid. It really just exemplifies everything I find wrong with the current iteration of Captain Marvel. Marvel is so concerned in trying to make some big important hero that they are ignoring the aspects that make Carol, Carol.

Carol’s origin is the fact that she was a damsel and that she did fall in love with Mar-Vell. It may be silly and even a bit stupid but it is important in defining the elements of empathy and ambition that are the cornerstones of Carol personality. She wanted to stand beside Mar-Vell as an equal, to not feel so helpless in situations that she could barely understand. Her wish was granted, she gain the power but also gain the knowledge she lack and that knowledge almost drove her insane. Carol’s origin is unique just need to look at it that way.

With the Life of Captain Marvel mini, the idea presented that Carol was actually Kree all along is simply wrong. The story fails to take into account what Carol’s Kree half is, what it actually means in defining her character. Her Kree half makes Carol an alien in her own skin, it is a part of her though a consequence of her gaining her powers. It makes her blood boil when she encounters a Skrull, instills her with the Kree sense of honor, has her spouting out alien expressions. To make Carol to always been Kree is like saying Superman wasn’t ever Kryptonian or Wonder Woman has no connection to the gods, her becoming Kree is that intrinsic to her character. Do not start changing thing that important unless you’ve considered all the ramifications.

In conclusion, I want Marvel to respect what Carol for what she is. Understand and respect her continuity, to take into account how something seemly small can affect a character in big ways. I find Carol interesting and do want to see her succeed, but I want the character in the books to actual be Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    This issue cannot come out fast enough. Can't wait to read this and see where it takes Carol next.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

most curious. Well, I guess we'll see just how Carols mom got involved with a human earthman. Also it would seem that her powers were suppressed until her exposure to the Kree machine as an adult.

Not sure how I feel about this but "You just made me Pancakes" put a smile on my face...lol
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

new origin huh?

I wish Marvel got to test this out before they made the movie. Seems kind of sudden. No way to gauge fan reaction to it and tweak anything

Hope it pays off for her
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    new origin huh?

I wish Marvel got to test this out before they made the movie. Seems kind of sudden. No way to gauge fan reaction to it and tweak anything

Hope it pays off for her
    Carol’s current situation is reminding me a lot of Pietro’s and Wanda’s comic origin retcon to fit and be in synch with the MCU. The difference here is that the retcon is happening 6 months before the movie is released, and not one month after. Let’s see if this retcon influences the Captain Marvel movie in some way, but my guess is yes, it will.

In it for the Chewie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    new origin huh?

Hope it pays off for her
    Well, I don't think it's as much of a "new origin" as it is an expansion. Until now, Carol's past has been largely unexplored. We know she has parents. We know where she grew up. But that's about it. For most of her existence, we haven't had much in terms of details. This finally provides those and it actually fills in some lingering blanks.

If Carol is half-Kree, then that would explain why the Psyche Magnetron effected her the way it did. It even adds greater meaning to that moment because it means those effects were unique. She wasn't just some random person who got caught in the crossfire. If it effected her because of her Kree heritage, then that would also explain why nobody has tried to replicate that accident and create an army of individuals with her abilities. That part of her story always bothered me because it comes off as too random, more so than Peter Parker getting bit by a radioactive spider.

On top of that, it explains some of her personality traits. It explains why she longs to explore space and thrust herself into the front lines of any inter-stellar conflict. It's part of her heritage. It remains to be seen how much of this will find its way into her movie, but I think these revelations have plenty of promise. I look forward to seeing where they go.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I can't connect with this character anymore because she is no longer human and that changes everything.