Page 785 of 822 FirstFirst ... 285685735775781782783784785786787788789795 ... LastLast
Results 11,761 to 11,775 of 12326
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Well, my coworker said this. Do you agree?
    It could go either way. It's really too early to say how many if any feminine themes will be explored through the new origin.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    CAPTAIN MARVEL #1

KELLY THOMPSON (W) • CARMEN CARNERO (A)
    Cover by Amanda Conner & Paul Mounts
    variant Cover by Alex Ross
    variant Cover by Lauren Tsai
    variant Cover by Adam Hughes
    VARIANT COVER BY JOE QUESADA
    Movie variant cover also available
    ALL THE STARS ALIGN AS KELLY THOMPSON AND CARMEN CARNERO TAKE ON MARVEL’S PREMIER FEMALE SUPER HERO!
    As Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers has spent months in space protecting Earth from alien threats big and small, but now it’s time for Earth’s mightiest hero to come home. New York City has never looked so good. But every re-entry comes with the unexpected, and Carol is about to hit a whole lot of unexpected. It’s a fresh start and an oversized, star-studded welcome home for a hero who’s been punching the glass ceiling since the 1970s — and just in time for the first female-led film from Marvel Studios! The next 50 years of Captain Marvel starts here!
    Looking forward to Kelly Thompson taking over. She's probably Marvel's best kept secret at this point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Looking forward to Kelly Thompson taking over. She's probably Marvel's best kept secret at this point.
    I find her work a really exciting read generally

agree wholeheartedly

Gotta say I love that binary design

I’ve been around long enough that I’ve seen plenty of little origin changes to characters so this is fine with me, not nearly as bad as say the constant confusion that is Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver’s parentage or the mashup that is the Cosmic Ghost Rider(not knocking the character but I think we can all agree it’s weird). Plus it adds a little more to the character and has some potential ideas in the future, perhaps we will see Carol’s(no way am I calling her Car-ell) alien grandparents at some point.
    Last edited by sifighter; 10-17-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Carol's mom has been a kree soldier all along, the psyche-magnitron just "activated" her powers, not gave them to her. Her fascination with space is apparently her kree heritage or something, and her dad tried to keep her from flying because he was afraid she'd get hurt by the Kree.

And her birth name is technically Car-Ell, which means "Champion".
    Stohl missed the opportunity to make Car-Ell mean "Marvelous" or "Marvel" and give her a full reboot.

Anyway, about the retcon, I think it makes Carol more her own hero, so I'm totally down for it.
    Last edited by Tantalus; 10-17-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    yeah, I pretty much enjoy everything she does.

Ultimate Member

The only part of the retcon that I'm iffy on right now is the name. "Car-ell" seems a bit too on the nose for my tastes. Also lets see if anything interesting actually comes of it.

Carol's mom has been a kree soldier all along, the psyche-magnitron just "activated" her powers, not gave them to her. Her fascination with space is apparently her kree heritage or something, and her dad tried to keep her from flying because he was afraid she'd get hurt by the Kree.

And her birth name is technically Car-Ell, which means "Champion".
    WTF?!? Ugh. I dont like that and prefer her as a human who became part Kree

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    WTF?!? Ugh. I dont like that and prefer her as a human who became part Kree
    I've been there. Last month, when I basically deducted this would happen because of the last panel, I thought the exact same thing: that I preferred Carol being a human that became half Kree because of the accident. But after I let the idea of Carol being born half Kree settle in my mind, it stopped looking so bad and now I'm fine with it. It makes her more of her own person and less of a second generation accident hero.

And since Stohl stated that her powers were only activated because of the psyche-magnetron explosion, her being half Kree doesn't erase or diminishes the merit of her achievements before the explosion, since she was a human then, in practical terms. This retcon doesn't change what made Carol herself, it basically makes her powers her own. Her being super powered simply stopped being an accident and became destiny. Being a hero it's still completely her choice, and she already was that without her powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
    And since Stohl stated that her powers were only activated because of the psyche-magnetron explosion
    Then how did she crush her dad's finger as a newborn?

Then how did she crush her dad's finger as a newborn?
    Honestly, this made me confused too, but I guess it was just a strong normal baby grip that her dad wasn't expecting, since Stohl states that she only activated her powers after the explosion in this dialogue.

RCO010.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
    Honestly, this made me confused too, but I guess it was just a strong normal baby grip that her dad wasn't expecting, since Stohl states that she only activated her powers after the explosion in this dialogue.

RCO010.jpg
    So all Kree have super powers now? Cause when she got her powers she got more than the standard Kree alien physiology upgrade.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I would say the Psyche-Magnetron didn't even activate her powers. The implication is it was activated as a defense mechanism from the explosion. To me, her fascination with space could be any reason. Her mother thinks it's because of her Kree heritage, but it could be for any reason. There's a lot of nature vs. nurture with that.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Well, my coworker said this. Do you agree?
    I tend to agree with that. It makes her powers her own, not a consequences of the actions of anyone else. The story specifically says "not borrowed, not a gift, not an accident." It makes her origin her own story. She isn't the person who got kidnapped by Yon-Rogg who was unconscious at the time of the explosion and who got powers when someone else rescued her because of his sacrifice. Instead, she's someone who got powers as her birthright, although she didn't know it. Was it necessary? I don't know. I've always thought her origin had serious problems and I still do. In fact, I'm going to suggest something controversial: I don't think this has to do with the movie at all and I suspect the movie will go closer to the original origin but without Yon-Rogg or possibly Mar-Vell.

The retcon about Joe's motives make him more sympathetic and less anachronistic in his beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    So all Kree have super powers now? Cause when she got her powers she got more than the standard Kree alien physiology upgrade.
    The only thing she had that wasn't a normal Kree thing was flight. I guess the Seventh Sense thing or whatever, but I thought that was described as a Kree thing. Remember the whole power absorption/Binary thing was due to Brood experimentation and happened later.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I would say the Psyche-Magnetron didn't even activate her powers. The implication is it was activated as a defense mechanism from the explosion. To me, her fascination with space could be any reason. Her mother thinks it's because of her Kree heritage, but it could be for any reason. There's a lot of nature vs. nurture with that.

I tend to agree with that. It makes her powers her own, not a consequences of the actions of anyone else. The story specifically says "not borrowed, not a gift, not an accident." It makes her origin her own story. She isn't the person who got kidnapped by Yon-Rogg who was unconscious at the time of the explosion and who got powers when someone else rescued her because of his sacrifice. Instead, she's someone who got powers as her birthright, although she didn't know it. Was it necessary? I don't know. I've always thought her origin had serious problems and I still do. In fact, I'm going to suggest something controversial: I don't think this has to do with the movie at all and I suspect the movie will go closer to the original origin but without Yon-Rogg or possibly Mar-Vell.
    Then who is Jude Law's character?

And don't forget, when she first got her powers, she didn't know it - Carol Danvers and Ms. Marvel were two different personalities. Carol would regularly have blackouts. When she fainted, Ms. Marvel emerged. We now know that was Car-Ell. At the time, the Kree personality only called herself Ms. Marvel. Later, the two personalities got merged, prompting Carol to change the costume to the black one with the thunderbolt.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    I thought that was always the case