Page 784 of 822 FirstFirst ... 284684734774780781782783784785786787788794 ... LastLast
Results 11,746 to 11,760 of 12326

"Daughter of Hala by bloodright and by starlight."

Sounds like Stohl's taken the throwaway 'Princess Sparklefists' line too seriously. This is one step away from colourful flying ponies and unicorns that barf rainbows, as if they're aiming the book at a lower pre-teen reading age. I just don't like the predestined to become a hero shize either - it was much more interesting before when she was a 'mere' human who lifted herself up to become a fighter pilot/spy/security chief, all before gaining her powers. Dammit I've been enjoying the book up till now too.
    Last edited by snark^; 10-15-2018 at 08:42 PM.
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

That phrase does kinda remind me of the Sailor Moon theme tune... "fighting evil by moonlight!"
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

CAPTAIN MARVEL #1

KELLY THOMPSON (W) • CARMEN CARNERO (A)
    Cover by Amanda Conner & Paul Mounts
    variant Cover by Alex Ross
    variant Cover by Lauren Tsai
    variant Cover by Adam Hughes
    VARIANT COVER BY JOE QUESADA
    Movie variant cover also available
    ALL THE STARS ALIGN AS KELLY THOMPSON AND CARMEN CARNERO TAKE ON MARVEL’S PREMIER FEMALE SUPER HERO!
    As Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers has spent months in space protecting Earth from alien threats big and small, but now it’s time for Earth’s mightiest hero to come home. New York City has never looked so good. But every re-entry comes with the unexpected, and Carol is about to hit a whole lot of unexpected. It’s a fresh start and an oversized, star-studded welcome home for a hero who’s been punching the glass ceiling since the 1970s — and just in time for the first female-led film from Marvel Studios! The next 50 years of Captain Marvel starts here!

alex ross art is the best especially loving the black suit

That cover is much better than the one used to announce the book

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I heard Carol's origins was retconned the s**t out of in the new Captain Marvel issue. Is it Power Girl and Atlantis bad? Is it overcomplicated like Iron Man nowadays? Or what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I heard Carol's origins was retconned the s**t out of in the new Captain Marvel issue. Is it Power Girl and Atlantis bad? Is it overcomplicated like Iron Man nowadays? Or what is it?
    Carol's mom has been a kree soldier all along, the psyche-magnitron just "activated" her powers, not gave them to her. Her fascination with space is apparently her kree heritage or something, and her dad tried to keep her from flying because he was afraid she'd get hurt by the Kree.

And her birth name is technically Car-Ell, which means "Champion".
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 10-17-2018 at 10:17 AM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Carol's mom has been a kree soldier all along, the psyche-magnitron just "activated" her powers, not gave them to her. Her fascination with space is apparently her kree heritage or something, and her dad tried to keep her from flying because he was afraid she'd get hurt by the Kree.

Well, my coworker said this. Do you agree?

I find this new origin to be empowering, for the character and for women
    it removes the sexist Mar-Vell DNA element
    enriches her ties to the Kree (they can further explore her mother’s life and how her mother coming out as a Kree could spin into new stories)
    and it tackles an interesting topic about a world that crushes young girls and makes them think they have to be something that they are not, and to go for things in life they don’t want to because men say so
    it’s more complex than a Mar-vell DNA blast or a astronaut accident

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    CAPTAIN MARVEL #1

KELLY THOMPSON (W) • CARMEN CARNERO (A)
    Cover by Amanda Conner & Paul Mounts
    variant Cover by Alex Ross
    variant Cover by Lauren Tsai
    variant Cover by Adam Hughes
    VARIANT COVER BY JOE QUESADA
    Movie variant cover also available
    ALL THE STARS ALIGN AS KELLY THOMPSON AND CARMEN CARNERO TAKE ON MARVEL’S PREMIER FEMALE SUPER HERO!
    As Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers has spent months in space protecting Earth from alien threats big and small, but now it’s time for Earth’s mightiest hero to come home. New York City has never looked so good. But every re-entry comes with the unexpected, and Carol is about to hit a whole lot of unexpected. It’s a fresh start and an oversized, star-studded welcome home for a hero who’s been punching the glass ceiling since the 1970s — and just in time for the first female-led film from Marvel Studios! The next 50 years of Captain Marvel starts here!
    Great artwork. But does the first outfit exist in continuity anymore? Officially does she start out more fully covered now?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Great artwork. But does the first outfit exist in continuity anymore? Officially does she start out more fully covered now?
    No, it's still in-continuity.

There was a digital series a a bit ago called "Avengers: Back to Basics" that acknowledged it existed.

Sounds... cinematic lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Incredible Member

Haven’t been able to get my issue yet. What about her brother, does her brother have a kree name? And will he be getting powers soon?

Ultimate Member

I can certainly see that POV at least yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    Haven’t been able to get my issue yet. What about her brother, does her brother have a kree name? And will he be getting powers soon?
    no her brothers are from the dad's previous marriage

Astonishing Member

she was an officer in the air force and head of security at a special bade in the 60s

Nothing bad there, well ahead of the curve in many ways

And I fail to see how the dna splicing thing is even remotely sexist?

As for it being more interesting, I think the idea of dna being fused human alien hybrid far more interesting and unique than her parent were just 2 different species

If anything this is a much simpler origin, rather like Starlords, which given this book was meant as a comics gateway for the mcu is probably the point
    Last edited by kilderkin; 10-17-2018 at 11:19 AM.