Page 794 of 822 FirstFirst ... 294694744784790791792793794795796797798804 ... LastLast
Results 11,896 to 11,910 of 12326
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Just to be clear, I think it's possible to understand something is a product of its time and recognize those limitations while still pointing out the issues that exist that could have been improved. Roy Thomas gets credit for an all-female team even if his understanding and portrayal of feminism leaves a lot to be desired.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yes, they get points for trying (IMO).

As for her stepping down from NASA being a step backwards for progressiveness....yeah, it is. But then, we're about to see Carol go from running the world's first line of defense against alien threats to being just another superhero in NYC. She's about to go from being one of the most important people alive to being one of dozens doing the same job in a overexposed and overpopulated city. That's a step backwards too. And we all know it's not happening today because Marvel's anti-progressive, it's happening because they're trying to build a workable narrative and they keep dropping the ball with Alpha Flight Station.
    She didn't step down from nasa, she was fired for messing up with the captain mar-vell mission.

She stepped down from her homeland security position, mainly because they got stuck in bureaucracy and she didn't feel she was doing enough good in her goal of becoming a better hero.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 11-10-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    She didn't step down from nasa, she was fired for messing up with the captain mar-vell mission.

She stepped down from her homeland security position, mainly because they got stuck in bureaucracy and she didn't feel she was doing enough good in her goal of becoming a better hero.
    Not only did Carol get fired from her job as NASA security chief, afterward she decided to write a tell-all book about her experiences at NASA.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Not only did Carol get fired from her job as NASA security chief, afterward she decided to write a tell-all book about her experiences at NASA.
    It was more about the space industry in general since writing/space were her "first loves"

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    It was more about the space industry in general since writing/space were her "first loves"
    Find issue #11 from the 70's series. Carol returns to the cape to do a story about a female astronaut friend of hers. A military officer asks "What's Danvers doing here, Dr. Fredericks? I thought she'd been banned from the cape permanently". Carol answers "Old hatreds die hard, eh Freddie?" He replies "You surprised, Carol? Your book BURNED alot of people...some of them badly" Carol replies "I wrote the truth, ol' buddy. Those who got "BURNED" DESERVED IT". Sounds like a spiteful "tell-all" book to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Find issue #11 from the 70's series. Carol returns to the cape to do a story about a female astronaut friend of hers. A military officer asks "What's Danvers doing here, Dr. Fredericks? I thought she'd been banned from the cape permanently". Carol answers "Old hatreds die hard, eh Freddie?" He replies "You surprised, Carol? Your book BURNED alot of people...some of them badly" Carol replies "I wrote the truth, ol' buddy. Those who got "BURNED" DESERVED IT". Sounds like a spiteful "tell-all" book to me.
    That's pretty cool. She Snowden'ed them.

Especially considering she went into journalism, reporting on unethical/negligent practices in the space industry seems like a good way to do that. Don't really see any "spite", since she's more about security
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 11-11-2018 at 06:10 AM.

I wonder how much remains of her tenure as a journalist/publisher now, especially with the compressed time scale. We'll see, I guess. I also anticipate that this and NASA will be completely bypassed for the movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I wonder how much remains of her tenure as a journalist/publisher now, especially with the compressed time scale. We'll see, I guess. I also anticipate that this and NASA will be completely bypassed for the movie.
    Probably nothing. She seems firmly established in security in some form or the other nowadays. She does have friends/contacts like Tracy burke (now dead), frank gianelli etc from those days though

Though she does get royalties from her books on her space adventures as binary, the space industry etc.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 11-11-2018 at 07:01 AM.

Yeah, the fact that Tracy Burke exists demonstrates that her time as a publisher still exists. It's best not to overthink the Marvel timeline. All these things happen even if the characters don't age like you would expect.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Also, in Generations, Kamala went back in time (maybe - Hawkeye's seemed to be real time travel but Captain America's was just a pocket universe) and ended up working with Carol at the Bugle as an intern (using a false name, since obviously Carol wouldn't know her yet). Can't see Kobik being able to recreate that time in Carol's life, or simply send Kamala back in time, if that period never happened.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I'm not a fan of her constant blackouts and two personalities. I hope it comes to an end soon. An interesting thing is the gap in time since Yon-Rogg and her becoming Ms. Marvel. The blackouts do help explain that and issue two explicitly addresses this issue in exactly the way I would have wanted it addressed. My only preference would have been for her to have a few hints of it before the six months rather than springing Ms. Marvel fully formed on that day.
    Not just split she turns into Ms Marvel like Banner to Hulk, she becomes larger and stronger. Which becomes a continuity issue, I would say, because later on no one notices a bigger Carol when the powers finally settled?

I didn't notice a size difference (unlike another Chris Claremont character who clearly changed size originally - Captain Britain). She's definitely stronger, though. It was good to see in issue nine or ten that Carol can kick ass too. It was the first time she was shown as a competent fighter rather than dependent on Ms. Marvel. I was comparing Ms. Marvel to the Rogue dynamic, but I think there's an easier connection - it's not at all dissimilar to the Rick Jones/Mar-Vell dynamic at this point. Certainly, the scene where she did the fighting rather than switch feels very much in line with their relationship.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I didn't notice a size difference (unlike another Chris Claremont character who clearly changed size originally - Captain Britain). She's definitely stronger, though. It was good to see in issue nine or ten that Carol can kick ass too. It was the first time she was shown as a competent fighter rather than dependent on Ms. Marvel. I was comparing Ms. Marvel to the Rogue dynamic, but I think there's an easier connection - it's not at all dissimilar to the Rick Jones/Mar-Vell dynamic at this point. Certainly, the scene where she did the fighting rather than switch feels very much in line with their relationship.
    I was thinking similarly about the rick jones/mar-vell connection.

She also seems to be able to switch in and out of costume and body type so it does appear like the whole "molecular switch" for the costume/body like the negabands give.

BANNED

Well bound to be more worried about the Captain Marvel film as we see WHERE in Marvel comics does Kevin Feige found inspiration from...https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...aptain-marvel/

Can you summarize the BleedingCool article?