Page 766 of 822 FirstFirst ... 266666716756762763764765766767768769770776816 ... LastLast
Results 11,476 to 11,490 of 12326
    Ultimate Member

If anyone bothered to look at Brie's other work, they'd see how absurd it is to say that she "cannot act." The woman has an Oscar for goodness sake, and it was well-deserved imo.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    origin
    I was so surprised to see that sequence there. Seems pretty much like a confirmation of her powers origin, and it looks like they took the simplest way to explain it. I guess that debunks all of the ''she's Mar-Vell's daughter and/or Kree-born'' theories.

I really wasn't expecting the whole mind-wipe thing... but that's such a Carol thing that I'm actually even kind of glad they adapted.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    If anyone bothered to look at Brie's other work, they'd see how absurd it is to say that she "cannot act." The woman has an Oscar for goodness sake, and it was well-deserved imo.
    Yep, totally agree with you. If she is acting like this in the trailer, its definitely intentional and has a reason why.

Honestly, it was her voice that surprised me more then her acting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I was so surprised to see that sequence there. Seems pretty much like a confirmation of her powers origin, and it looks like they took the simplest way to explain it. I guess that debunks all of the ''she's Mar-Vell's daughter and/or Kree-born'' theories.
    Are we assuming that's the Psyche-Magnetron she's grabbing? Or is it a rocket with Mar-Vell in it (in a total Abin-Sur moment) ?
    I really wasn't expecting the whole mind-wipe thing... but that's such a Carol thing that I'm actually even kind of glad they adapted.
    It seems like a mix of a mind-wipe and full-on brainwashing.

Although from the EW article it didn't seem like the Kree could curb her recklessness or loyalty to Earth.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    Really? I mean, it could be interpreted as that. However, Rogue isn't the cause. I saw it as a straight forward, she's been abducted and experimented on (as seen in the trailer) which has left her mind a bit addled.
    My take is that it was a reference to the Rogue thing as well as the Brood experimentation. I definitely also got that it was a deliberate reference to Avengers Annual 10.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    My take is that it was a reference to the Rogue thing as well as the Brood experimentation.
    I don't think they're allowed to reference stuff they do not own yet.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    origin
    I’m honestly a little disappointed in myself that I didn’t put all of that together the first coupel times I watched it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
    Saw a decent amount of people talking about how Brie looks emotionless, and saying that she can't act because of this. Marvel better put some dramatic scenes that show a normal Carol in the next trailer to kill this idea.
    Nothing will convince those people. Based on trailers alone this same complaint could be leveled at most male actors but that rarely happens (unless of course they come off as absolutely terrible). People were trashing Gal Gadot based on the WW trailers as well. It's a double standard that pops up again and again. I mean, I see people saying that Brie's voice is too girly, you can't win with these people.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    really? So opinions are censored in this forum? That's quite interesting.
    No, opinions are not censored.

As I said, 'take it elsewhere.'

There are rules pertaining to Appreciation threads. They aren't debate/discussion threads, and they aren't for people to come in and slam the character, including nothing but repeated negative comments about the trailer.

You want to do so in a discussion thread? So long as it's done civilly and follows the forum rules and guidelines, you are more than welcome to.

This simply isn't the thread for it, and this is the last of the public discussion on this matter
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Ultimate Member

I wouldn't say that she looks emotionless. I mean we only have her saying like 4 lines out of context, not exactly a big sample size. But there's definitely emotion in her facial expression, body language, mannerisms, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Nothing will convince those people. Based on trailers alone this same complaint could be leveled at most male actors but that rarely happens (unless of course they come off as absolutely terrible). People were trashing Gal Gadot based on the WW trailers as well. It's a double standard that pops up again and again. I mean, I see people saying that Brie's voice is too girly, you can't win with these people.
    That's absolutely true. There will always be that portion of people that will bash the character/movie without a reason. One way or another, I trust Marvel and, above that, I trust Brie. So let's wait the next trailer so that we can theorize more about that emotionless or not thing.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/18/17...-sue-deconnick
    Interesting article about how Captain Marvel's design came to be.

Enjoyed the trailer quite a bit. I think maybe it was cut a little weird in that there's no real linear sensibility (the three "origin" shots for example, are spread through the whole thing with nothing showing they're connected) but at the same time, that'll also help keep plot points a little more vague, so......I dunno? Teaser trailer marketing logic escapes me and I find myself saying the same things every time we get a new teaser for a MCU film. But by teaser standards, I feel like we got a lot out of this one. I expected a couple one-liners, a few actions shots, and some quick headshots of the cast. Got more than expected, and that's cool.

Costume looked fine in live action (just like most of us were saying it would after those EW photos) and its great to see Fury and Coulson.

And Brie. Oh yeah. She'll do just fine. Honestly, I was sold the moment she hit the old woman/skrull. The look on her face as she winds up for the swing? That's totally Carol Danvers.

And it seems like the film is pulling pretty heavily from themes across Carol's whole history, which should be really interesting to see how that all fits together into a cohesive narrative.

Haters are gonna hate but so what? Dem bitches don't matter!

I suppose the only thing left to say (and how did I get here before the Corps?) is

Yaas Queen!!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

I think that the trailer is to some extent designed to be kind of mysterious/cryptic. Even Carol's comments about getting snippets of memories, but not being sure if they're real or not, ties into that. As for the questions:

-What is the timeline for these events.
    -How does Carol get her powers.
    -How does she end up in space.
    -What's up with this team that she's on.
    -How long is she working with/for the Kree.
    -WTH was that machine that they had her restrained in (upside down it would appear).
    -How/why does she go back to Earth.
    -Is Jude Law playing a hero or villain.
    -Etc.

All of these seem to be deliberate imo.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't think they're allowed to reference stuff they do not own yet.
    They're not allowed to use characters they don't own. That doesn't mean they can't make an homage - particularly since I'm talking about the plot of Avengers Annual 10 when it comes to Carol's memory loss.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?