Page 104 of 822 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204604 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 12326

That is amazing. Not a bad live-action take on the costume, and the detail work is somewhat close to what Ronan wore in GotG (if memory serves anyway) so the Kree connection is there. I'd have liked to see a glow effect on the starburst, but that's just me.

Dammit, I was never huge on the idea of Sackhoff playing Carol; its just too on the nose after Battlestar. But this picture has me reconsidering.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It's a very impressive editing/drawing job, though I'm not really keen on all the added details. I realize that's kinda become the theme for most live-action superheroes but I react to it with the same 'bleah' as I do most of DC's New 52 redesigns; the excess lines distract from the simple beauty of the originals, and with characters like Carol it gives the impression that someone who's functionally invulnerable suddenly feels the need to have body armour on. Because that makes a lot of sense. (I tend to forgive MCU Captain America suits for this reason)

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    It's a very impressive editing/drawing job, though I'm not really keen on all the added details. I realize that's kinda become the theme for most live-action superheroes but I react to it with the same 'bleah' as I do most of DC's New 52 redesigns; the excess lines distract from the simple beauty of the originals, and with characters like Carol it gives the impression that someone who's functionally invulnerable suddenly feels the need to have body armour on. Because that makes a lot of sense. (I tend to forgive MCU Captain America suits for this reason)
    They need to do SOMETHING though. Some texture and shaping is necessary. Full body spandex on real humans looks kind of silly.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    They need to do SOMETHING though. Some texture and shaping is necessary. Full body spandex on real humans looks kind of silly.
    Some smart texture work (like the pseudo-chainmail weave on the Man of Steel Superman suit*) would work pretty well on the Captain Marvel costume, methinks. Random lines and big blocky solid panels, especially at points of movement like the shoulders, are just distracting.

* - Yeah, I know, mostly everyone hated that movie - me included - but the suit worked.

the planes are wrong. should be F-15 Eagles or better still F-22 Raptors. not bloody Navy/Marine Corps F/A-18s...
    I surrender to the Contest

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Its less about personal protection and more about modesty, I think. How many buildings does Carol get thrown through in the course of a month? How many small nuclear detonations go off in her immediate vicinity? What sort of material is going to stand up to that kind of punishment? Even kevlar would end up being shredded within the first few seconds of a fight. Then what? Carol spends the rest of the fight naked? I admit, it has some appeal, but I think comics have enough T&A already.

Its not about keeping Carol and other super-durable characters safe, it's about keeping them clothed.

Now, you can work around that sort of thing with personal force fields or frictionless auras or unstable molecules, like Bryne did with Superman in '86. And that'd be fine. Hell you could pull some really cool effects out of that sort of explanation (if nothing else, the effects on and around Green Lantern's live-action costume were fun) and it makes for a interesting side-effect of a hero's powers (did Bryne make Superman psionic with that bioelectric aura? Food for thought). But the tougher looking material is a perfectly viable design aesthetic too and adds a sense of "tank" to the look even if the clothes themselves are not strictly "needed".

That said, if it were me I'd design Carol's costume differently too. But that picture is still badass as f**k.
    Last edited by Ascended; 09-17-2014 at 06:28 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Have people seen this tremendous movie-version-fan-art of Carol?

Yes, yes, its Katee Sackhoff and I know that she's polarizing to much of the Captain Marvel fanbase but its still extremely impressive and has me just jittering with elation

I have to admit that I haven't been a big supporter of Sackhoff's choice for Captain Marvel, just never thought she looked the part...but this makes me think otherwise. Awesome job on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    Wish he were taking over the regular art chores. Love this!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Its not about keeping Carol and other super-durable characters safe, it's about keeping them clothed.
    Very, very good point there.

BANNED

I don't quite like the boots (and the shoulder pads are a wee bit to large) but the gloves and sash are perfect!

Spectacular Member

So I love me some Podcasts and I was wondering is there a Carol podcast out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Its less about personal protection and more about modesty, I think. How many buildings does Carol get thrown through in the course of a month? How many small nuclear detonations go off in her immediate vicinity? What sort of material is going to stand up to that kind of punishment? Even kevlar would end up being shredded within the first few seconds of a fight. Then what? Carol spends the rest of the fight naked? I admit, it has some appeal, but I think comics have enough T&A already.

Now, you can work around that sort of thing with personal force fields or frictionless auras or unstable molecules, like Bryne did with Superman in '86. And that'd be fine. Hell you could pull some really cool effects out of that sort of explanation (if nothing else, the effects on and around Green Lantern's live-action costume were fun) and it makes for a interesting side-effect of a hero's powers (did Bryne make Superman psionic with that bioelectric aura? Food for thought). But the tougher looking material is a perfectly viable design aesthetic too and adds a sense of "tank" to the look even if the clothes themselves are not strictly "needed".

That said, if it were me I'd design Carol's costume differently too. But that picture is still badass as f**k.
    Well said, Ascended. Well said indeed.
    I've heard this argument about her invulnerability all over the place and I honestly didn't even think "well shoot, her uniform isn't invulnerable" and you've armed me with a tremendous counterargument for future discussions. So thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Fear not! Kamala is taking December off, not Carol. Carol's getting a big, oversized issue celebrating her 100th numbered issue.

Seems like the perfect big oversized issue to have carol meet kamala

I appreciate Ascended's comment about supers' costumes needing to be armored for their own protection, not the hero's. I've been thinking that for days and just haven't had time to post. It is about not finishing every battle naked (talk about hilarious fanfic). I hear the argument against armored looks for supers and always think this reason.

But I'm not sure if it's relevant for Carol, because her uniform is not made of fabric, but rather molecules that are a part of her powerset. Now, could her Kree powers default her looks to having some soldier/armor details that are more cultural than functional? I can picture that. And all the more so if we are specifically having this conversation relative to the MCU, which is not Earth-616 but a named alternate reality.

Captain Marvel's 10 Definitive Issues for any new fans hoping to acquaint with her previous stuff

http://marvel.com/news/comics/23287/...initive_issues

Regarding the cinematic design of that suit -- I would add that certain liberties are clearly being taken with the characters when translating to the big screen and I could easily see them dropping the mental summoning of the suit.

Oh! And did everyone know that Wendy, Carol's assistant, was originally intended to be Anya -- Spider Girl, but she wasn't available so KSD created Wendy?
    Last edited by Fokken; 09-18-2014 at 10:34 AM.