Page 11 of 822 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111511 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    True. But with the MCU, She might be more popular.
    One can hope. Joss Whedon's already said no to bringing Carol into the Avengers, but that shouldn't stop her from showing up somewhere.

Extraordinary Member

Yup. I'm guessing she'll get a solo first.

Personally I am hoping that since the MCU is bringing in the Kree we do not have to wait too much longer for Carol.

Also I am loving the current series of Captain Marvel. Took me a while to warm up to the previous one but this one seems to be hitting the ground running now that Kelly Sue has already re-established the character in the last run.

All-New Member

Man, I didn't like Kelly Sue's previous run that much. And I felt really guilty about it like "This is the feminist superhero power fantasy I've wanted for so long, I'm a bad feminist for not reading it!" but the aviation/air force deal just didn't interest me that much :/

But then they were like, "Okay we're relaunching it IN SPACE!"

And I was like "YES! THIS! THIS IS WHAT I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED!" I am so hyped for Carol in space. Carol smashing aliens. Carol's dumb cat also in space. I'm sorry for doubting you guys, Carol Corps. I get it now.

I will always support a comic where Carol gets to punch evil in the face with energy fists.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    How much do we love Carol's whole scifi-nerdy-fangirl-side?

I love that Carol represents that side of the audience. Star Wars isn't just for boys. Its loved by both genders.
    Loved this bit ahah.

Extraordinary Member

One question that always plagues me:
    Will she be called Ms Marvel or Capfain Marvel....

BANNED

One question that always plagues me:
    Will she be called Ms Marvel or Capfain Marvel....

if you're asking about the MCU, i would hope that they go with "Captain Marvel."

BANNED

My friends. Who do you think will be more popular?
    Carol Or Diana (WW)

i've never been able to get into DC or Wonder Woman. so, for me, it's easily Carol. if you're asking about the general audience, i'm guessing Wonder Woman will be considered to be more iconic. but actual fanboys & girls will prefer Carol. she's more down-to-earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
    if you're asking about the MCU, i would hope that they go with "Captain Marvel."
    I would hope so, too, and I think they probably would go with Captain. It's a stronger name, one that grabs attention better. As an added bonus, it puts the name in the public consciousness as a Marvel hero. There are still plenty of people who think of "Captain Marvel" as being the DC guy. If Marvel puts out a movie about Carol as Captain Marvel, it will lead to those people thinking of the name as being the Marvel woman.

Beyond that, I really don't see Mar-Vell getting a movie - he's just not all that relevant. His biggest story was his death. Carol's a far, far more relevant character. So if Marvel wants a Captain Marvel movie - and they probably do - it makes more sense to use Carol than anyone else.

BANNED

I just hope that Mar-Vell is at least somehow acknowledged or included.
    Make him an old foe of Thanos who is dying of cancer.
    One final battle happens and Carol is caught in the crossfire, she gains power.
    Mar-Vell's condition is worse and he passes the torch. He's her mentor basically.

This could be the intro to the movie.
    Have it end with Mar-Vell's passing and Carol going into space.

I don't know. Mar-Vell is too special to let fall to the wayside without an acknowledgment.
    And one of the things I love about Carol is her connection to him.

True. But with the MCU, She might be more popular.
    I agree with lilyinblue, this is apples and oranges.

Diana is *the* female superhero. She has a spot in popular culture, and Western society, that no other superhero is ever going to reach. Carol, and many like her, were designed with *feminist liberation* as a core theme. Diana (well, her creator really) wrote the book the others swear by. Trying to compare them isnt fair to anyone; no one else is ever going to be Wonder Woman, and Wonder Woman doesnt have the freedom to evolve, she's too boxed in by her status.

As for the movies....which one is more popular than the other is also pretty suspect. It depends on how Gadot does as Wonder Woman, it depends on who plays Carol, how she's handled, and when it happens. By the time Carol shows up in live action, Gadot could have a full trilogy of successful solo films as well as appearances in Superman/Batman and Justice League. Or Gadot could bomb as Diana, the role re-cast and the solo films put back on the shelf indefinitely. By the time Carol shows up Diana could be nothing more than an unfortunate after-thought in the DCU films.

Personally, I still want to see Carol show up on Agents of SHIELD, then after a solid introduction that ends with her gaining powers, jump into the movies, preferably in a Captain Marvel solo film. I think if I were Marvel, I'd want to push the Captain Marvel name over Ms. Marvel. And looking at the various characters to use that name, Carol seems the obvious choice. Mar-Vell may have come first, but he's been dead for decades and Marvel/Disney would win a lot of PR points by using Carol, she's easily accessible, not to mention the Carol Corps would do a huge amount of free advertising for a Carol/Captain Marvel flick.

With the Kree showing up in Guardians of the Galaxy, Im hoping to see hints of Captain Marvel showing up as well. A name drop here, a cameo there. I'd like to hope that it wont take until after Phase III for Carol to show up, but at this point I wonder just how serious Marvel is about using the name at all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    I don't know. Mar-Vell is too special to let fall to the wayside without an acknowledgment.
    And one of the things I love about Carol is her connection to him.
    I do agree that Mar-Vell deserves something. He's still the inspiration that put Carol in a costume after she gained powers, he's still her link to the Kree, and in a lot of ways he's the saint of the Marvel U, much like Barry Allen was for DC before they brought him back. And just like Barry, I doubt if Mar-Vell would live up to his memory. Which is one more reason to focus on Carol instead. But Mar-Vell still deserves to show up and, if nothing else, make the big heroic sacrifice play that puts Carol in motion.

The whole story of him being an undercover Kree agent would make a great subplot for the next season of SHIELD. Just sayin.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Again the problem I have with there being a Carol movie is that they might her make her Ms. Marvel in the movies, and bring Mar-vell into it as well.

Which means that the comics will likely be changed as well. Mar-vell will be brought back for the gagillionth time, Carol would take the Ms. Marvel name back, and where does that leave poor Kamala Khan?

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Again the problem I have with there being a Carol movie is that they might her make her Ms. Marvel in the movies, and bring Mar-vell into it as well.

Which means that the comics will likely be changed as well. Mar-vell will be brought back for the gagillionth time, Carol would take the Ms. Marvel name back, and where does that leave poor Kamala Khan?
    I really, really don't think that's likely. The fact is, the only Mar-Vell story that matters is his death. I'm sorry to his fans, but few people really care about his fights with Thanos, and even fewer people care about anything else he ever did. He's a character who just doesn't matter, and never really did, no matter how hard Marvel tried to push him.

I've said before (though not on these new forums yet) that the way to do a Captain Marvel movie is for Mar-Vell to die in the first act. Start with Carol Danvers as chief of security at either a NASA or SHIELD installation. Maybe have a guy there that she's really suspicious of. She follows him off the base one night, out to a cave, where she sees him strip off his civilian clothes to reveal an odd uniform. He and another alien start arguing and fighting. Carol steps in to arrest them both, and in the ensuing three-way fight, a nearby machine gets hit by a stray energy blast. The machine explodes, dousing all three in energy. The second alien - Yon-Rogg - disappears. Mar-Vell is severely injured. Carol seems to be OK. She goes to talk to Mar-Vell, learns his name, learns his mission, learns about the Kree, stuff like that. He dies from the energy he absorbed. End of first act.

Second act has Carol start developing powers. Her strength grows, she starts to fly, she even develops energy blasts. Meanwhile, odd stuff keeps happening around the facility. She investigates that while also learning about her powers.

Third act, turns out Yon-Rogg wasn't killed, he's behind the weird stuff, Carol has to fight him and stop him.

Boom, there's your story. Mar-Vell shows up without overshadowing Carol, her origin is kept more-or-less intact.