Page 498 of 822 FirstFirst ... 398448488494495496497498499500501502508548598 ... LastLast
Results 7,456 to 7,470 of 12326

To be perfectly honest... I wasn't exactly expecting her origin to be told exactly as it was in the comics. (Afterall... how many debates have we had over whether or not Mar-vell's inclusion was necessary? A lot of people have expressed the idea that it wasn't.) She wouldn't exactly be the first hero to have her story tweaked for the cinematic universe. Nothing has been slavishly devoted to the source material. It can't be.

But I wouldn't totally blame Perlman either. This does sound a little like an order from above.

... needless to say, I think looking at this as some sort of red flag is really premature.

Upon further reflection, I am no longer concerned.

I mean... everything with Wanda and Pietro turned out just fine, narratively speaking.

I am nuts.

Ultimate Member

I think that by bringing up GL, they're talking about her getting her powers from another (male) character who has similar ones. It's certainly not THE same, but it's close enough that they don't want to go there.

My guess is, she gets her power from some other source that doesn't include Mar-veil (or any other character directly).

Also she'll likely be less passive and have more agency of her own in her origins than she did in the comics.
    Last edited by Punisher007; 08-11-2016 at 08:57 AM.

The single greatest comment thus far, regarding the impending cinematic edits:

"Well duh, the whole, 'I was a superhero's side piece then I got hit with a magic wish granting raygun that gave me the powers of said superhero then he died of cancer and now I'm taking his place because #feminism"' doesn't really translate into a movie, now does it?"

Ultimate Member

I totally get why they would do it. She's the first female lead character, they've been criticized for taking so freaking long to make a movie with a female (and minority) lead, and they're pushing her as their #1 female character, etc. So it likely make little sense from their perspective to then go "but she gets her powers, her codename, her costume, and her inspiration, all from a male character in an origin story where she's pretty passive and has little agency of her own." And as someone who is far more interesting in Carol than Mar-veil, I have no problem with them going a different route. SW and QS's origins are very different in the MCU, as is Vision's, and yet both have worked out fine imo.

Captain Marvel appears on Avengers Assemble in September.

S03, E17 Panther's Rage 9/25/2016
    S03, E16 Captain Marvel 9/18/2016
    http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/marv...720?aid=zap2it

Has this video been placed here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGunUs86iXA

I say let her be the first and only Captain Marvel in the MCU. Let Kamala be the first and only Ms. Marvel in the MCU.
    This version of Carol will be better than the comics version. She won't be raped by Marcus and have her powers stolen by Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I think that by bringing up GL, they're talking about her getting her powers from another (male) character who has similar ones. It's certainly not THE same, but it's close enough that they don't want to go there.
    My thoughts precisely.

Honestly, Perlman's words either mean they're looking for an origin hook that doesn't leave her quite so dependant on a man, or that they've simply decided to go with something more in-depth/impressive than "I was standing near a machine when it blew up and now I have flight powers rather than horrific shrapnel injuries". Which...shouldn't really be hard, TBH.

My big immediate worry is that Fokken guessed right and she'll wind up an Inhuman, which wouldn't be at all impressive. Whatever events form Carol, they should be a one-of-a-kind occurrence, not just a thing that could happen to anyone. She's not an everyman sort of superhero like Spider-Man is, she's exceptional by default and they should lean into that, not run away from it. That said, the movie division seems a lot less enthused with Inhumans than the TV side, so I expect we're safe.

Wait, hold on, no - my ACTUAL immediate worry is what sort of botch job they'll pull off when the comics bods inevitably try to retcon her history to make it more movie-like, and act like our previous memories don't count, a la Star-Lord. "What's that? 'Master of the Sun'? 'Angst-ridden cyborg veteran of the Annihilation War'? Nope, he's a cheeky thief! HE WAS ALWAYS A CHEEKY THIEF SHUT UP SHUT UP #ITSALLCONNECTED"
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I totally get why they would do it. She's the first female lead character, they've been criticized for taking so freaking long to make a movie with a female (and minority) lead, and they're pushing her as their #1 female character, etc. So it likely make little sense from their perspective to then go "but she gets her powers, her codename, her costume, and her inspiration, all from a male character in an origin story where she's pretty passive and has little agency of her own." And as someone who is far more interesting in Carol than Mar-veil, I have no problem with them going a different route. SW and QS's origins are very different in the MCU, as is Vision's, and yet both have worked out fine imo.
    If they said they wanted to give Carol a different origin because of those reasons, I would say okay. But when Perlman said that it's because Carol's origin is similar to Green Lantern, the impression that it gives me is that she barely picked comic books in her life (because really, what the heck has those two origins in common?) and is stuff like that which makes me worry about the film...

Ultimate Member

CraigtheCyclon True, but then again people expected that the Maximoff Twins might end up being Inhumans as well, but that didn't happen. Also the Inhumans movie has been shelved indefinitely and they haven't really been mentioned or referenced at all outside of the AOS show. So I wouldn't worry about that just yet.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    If they said they wanted to give Carol a different origin because of those reasons, I would say okay. But when Perlman said that it's because Carol's origin is similar to Green Lantern, the impression that it gives me is that she barely picked comic books in her life (because really, what the heck has those two origins in common?) and is stuff like that which makes me worry about the film...
    -Air Force officer.
    -Gets powers by chance from a male alien officer.
    -Takes inspiration from them and adopts a similar codename and outfit.
    -Etc.

I said it in the main thread for the movie but I don't expect her origin to be from an Infinity Stone. Perlman said they didn't want to regurgitate stuff from the other MCU movies for their origin movie and the idea of having an Avengers whose origin comes from an Infinity Stone in order to tie together the plot was already done in Avengers 2 with Vision and the Maximoff twins.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I said it in the main thread for the movie but I don't expect her origin to be from an Infinity Stone. Perlman said they didn't want to regurgitate stuff from the other MCU movies for their origin movie and the idea of having an Avengers whose origin comes from an Infinity Stone in order to tie together the plot was already done in Avengers 2 with Vision and the Maximoff twins.
    It could be a chance that the kree could still be involved in her origin without the pressence of Mar-Vell (maybe Carol on her own found about a group of Kree that were performing experiments and when she tried to stop them she could end getting her powers)

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    My thoughts precisely.

Honestly, Perlman's words either mean they're looking for an origin hook that doesn't leave her quite so dependant on a man, or that they've simply decided to go with something more in-depth/impressive than "I was standing near a machine when it blew up and now I have flight powers rather than horrific shrapnel injuries". Which...shouldn't really be hard, TBH.

My big immediate worry is that Fokken guessed right and she'll wind up an Inhuman, which wouldn't be at all impressive. Whatever events form Carol, they should be a one-of-a-kind occurrence, not just a thing that could happen to anyone. She's not an everyman sort of superhero like Spider-Man is, she's exceptional by default and they should lean into that, not run away from it. That said, the movie division seems a lot less enthused with Inhumans than the TV side, so I expect we're safe.

Wait, hold on, no - my ACTUAL immediate worry is what sort of botch job they'll pull off when the comics bods inevitably try to retcon her history to make it more movie-like, and act like our previous memories don't count, a la Star-Lord. "What's that? 'Master of the Sun'? 'Angst-ridden cyborg veteran of the Annihilation War'? Nope, he's a cheeky thief! HE WAS ALWAYS A CHEEKY THIEF SHUT UP SHUT UP #ITSALLCONNECTED"
    GD, Craig!
    You KILL me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Oh my.

I don't want to immediately jump to "butt hurt fan" or anything but.....I .... I mean...Green Lantern was absolute BALLS.
    So....I mean... this would be Marvel's chance to take the similar themes there and do a GOOD job with them.

No alien poop cloud, as the villain for starters. That's an easy fix right there.

I'm not one to finger wag film adaptations but...I sure hope they don't just go an borrow some OTHER hero's origin and just say "Yeah, this is Carol's origin now"

<gasp>
    Is CAROL going to be the first Cinematic INHUMAN?? awwwgawd.

DAMN YOU LANTERN!!!! You're RUINING everything long after your expiration!
    you're fixating too much on the GL movie in this post.

I agree though that Carol's origin isn't that close to Hal Jordan's. *cough*RichardRider*cough*
    I surrender to the Contest