Page 52 of 822 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152552 ... LastLast

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't Captain Marvel #10 be Carol's 100th solo issue?

Her original Ms. Marvel run lasted for 23 issues. The second volume reached 50. The previous volume of Captain Marvel hit 17. That's 90. The new run's at 5. I don't think annuals count.

I wonder if Marvel's got anything special planned for the 100th issue.

ISTR that this was brought up on the old forum's thread and there was some debate over which issues did or didn't count but that yes, Marvel has plans for Carol's 100th issue.
    I surrender to the Contest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    ISTR .
    Took me waay longer to figure out what that meant than it should have!

Anyway, I hope and suspect Carol will be receiving some special 100 issue goodness.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's the magic of trading these low-rent characters. One hero's D-lister can be revamped into another hero's A-list. You look at Green Arrow for an example; he's stolen Killer Moth from Batman and Deathstroke from the Titans. And both villains have been handled wonderfully and folded into the Arrow mythos seamlessly. All three characters are better off for the change. And Mongul, he was a poor man's Darkseid who Superman would slap around every now and then, until the Green Lantern titles borrowed him. There he became a major player and (temporary) ruler of the Sinestro Corps. Superman wasn't hurting for the loss and the GLC got a much needed, high quality foe, and Mongul himself became much more interesting.

I'm all for Carol's old foes being reinvented, new foes showing up, and her stealing bad guys from other franchises. She needs a good rogues gallery, so why limit everything to one particular method? Do it all. Plenty of bad guys out there, more than enough for Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, and Avengers to share.
    Mr. Negative would be a good enemy for Carol, along with Mojo and Angela. But my personal favorite for Carol is Apocalypse, Onslaught, The Leader, and Thanos(in connection to Mar-vell's death)....

As for Mystique, bring her over to Spider-Man's world, in which she knows his secret identity as well as the fact that she knows more about him than anyone else, like Classic Venom(Eddie Brock) and the Green Goblin.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 07-10-2014 at 03:58 AM.

Amazing Member

relevant, I swear!

Batgirl has a new costume
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=53962

It looks... kind of familiar? practical, modest and mildly military. No, I'm not saying it was stolen or anything, what I'm saying is we're in the middle of a trend! Looks like Carol is on the right side of the trend, as are any supporters...

(my favorite part is the design guideline, "leather jacket - not spandex!")
    ((wahoo! 30th post made me a member!)

Extraordinary Member

I kinda see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't Captain Marvel #10 be Carol's 100th solo issue?

Her original Ms. Marvel run lasted for 23 issues. The second volume reached 50. The previous volume of Captain Marvel hit 17. That's 90. The new run's at 5. I don't think annuals count.

I wonder if Marvel's got anything special planned for the 100th issue.
    If I had to guess, an "untold" story from her Claremont days, something where Cap fights a gauntlet of classic foes, and then something about Carol and Kit doing adorable stuff together.

Quote Originally Posted by imawizard View Post
    relevant, I swear!

It looks... kind of familiar? practical, modest and mildly military. No, I'm not saying it was stolen or anything, what I'm saying is we're in the middle of a trend! Looks like Carol is on the right side of the trend, as are any supporters...

Huh, I like it. It looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelousmetalmouse View Post
    If I had to guess, an "untold" story from her Claremont days, something where Cap fights a gauntlet of classic foes, and then something about Carol and Kit doing adorable stuff together.
    I'd be down with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Mr. Negative would be a good enemy for Carol, along with Mojo and Angela. But my personal favorite for Carol is Apocalypse, Onslaught, The Leader, and Thanos(in connection to Mar-vell's death)....

As for Mystique, bring her over to Spider-Man's world, in which she knows his secret identity as well as the fact that she knows more about him than anyone else, like Classic Venom(Eddie Brock) and the Green Goblin.
    Well, Thanos seems like too big a threat to be called the foe of just one hero but I get what you mean. As for the rest, I'd be down with any of them but Mr. Negative really hit a chord. That's good, I wish I had thought of him!

I'd also like to see her deal with the Juggernaut, but mostly just because I love that character and would love seeing Carol make fun of his helmet even more.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by imawizard View Post
    relevant, I swear!

Pretty sure we're just seeing The Matrix fashion trend repeating itself. Which is fine with me, I prefer that type of look to spandex, especially when its providing great looking female heroes for my little girl.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

A question about carol's powers: can she absorb energy that isn't specifically directed at her? Like touching something and absorbing its heat to freeze it?

Also, how would folks feel about carol getting a set of negabands? At the lcs today folks seemed split as to that being a cool idea, or too close to the old capt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadTitan View Post
    A question about carol's powers: can she absorb energy that isn't specifically directed at her? Like touching something and absorbing its heat to freeze it?

Also, how would folks feel about carol getting a set of negabands? At the lcs today folks seemed split as to that being a cool idea, or too close to the old capt.
    I do remember her carrying a train, and touching the third rail to get a power boost. I don't think she'd be able to freeze something, though.

Why would she need Nega bands? She's got the powers already. It would make her too similar to Mar-Vell, without actually providing any benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I do remember her carrying a train, and touching the third rail to get a power boost. I don't think she'd be able to freeze something, though.

Why would she need Nega bands? She's got the powers already. It would make her too similar to Mar-Vell, without actually providing any benefit.
    I remember a case where she was also tossed into some power lines, and that powered her up nicely too.

The freezing... I suppose that all depends on which concepts of physics the writers want to play with. They've never been too specific about what kinds of energy she can absorb. However, usually it comes in the forms of blasty, zappy, lasery stuff. I'm not sure we've ever seen her absorb thermal or kinetic, for example. Thermal would be necessary to drop the temperature of objects enough to freeze them. If she could absorb kinetic, you'd think she'd get stronger every time somebody punched her. I don't think we've really seen that either.

So it's pretty safe to say she can't absorb ALL forms of energy.

... and I have to agree, adding nega bands seems kind of superfluous. I'm not sure what it would really accomplish.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I remember a case where she was also tossed into some power lines, and that powered her up nicely too.

The freezing... I suppose that all depends on which concepts of physics the writers want to play with. They've never been too specific about what kinds of energy she can absorb. However, usually it comes in the forms of blasty, zappy, lasery stuff. I'm not sure we've ever seen her absorb thermal or kinetic, for example. Thermal would be necessary to drop the temperature of objects enough to freeze them. If she could absorb kinetic, you'd think she'd get stronger every time somebody punched her. I don't think we've really seen that either.

So it's pretty safe to say she can't absorb ALL forms of energy.

... and I have to agree, adding nega bands seems kind of superfluous. I'm not sure what it would really accomplish.
    So, our conversation started off with how Marvel really needed more top tier powerhouses that are female*, and a few Captain Marvel fans stated that Carol was the answer to that, especially in her Binary days. Given that she lost her connection to her powersource, folks were thinking of ways to get Carol back to that level of power. The negabands came up as essentially a power magnifier, a well of negative zone energy she could draw from. Some folks (myself included) thought that was too close to the original Captain, and few went further because they thought it would essentially diminish Carol and make her look like she needed a tool to be a top tier hero.

*(sidenote -- i think this is an issue of how you define power, as Jeen, Jean, Rachel Grey, Sue Storm, Storm, Hope, Polaris, Sersi, etc show that there are plenty of really powerful women in marvel, but fewer superman or wonderwoman analogues)

So, our conversation started off with how Marvel really needed more top tier powerhouses that are female*, and a few Captain Marvel fans stated that Carol was the answer to that, especially in her Binary days.
    I think it was NYCC last year...

Someone asked DeConnick about Carol going Binary again. I thought KSD's response was pretty interesting. She basically said that she didn't want to do it - at least not as a new status quo. She said her primary concern was that if you power Carol up to that level, she has to keep coming up with threats that match that level... and that wasn't something she felt she would do a good job with as a writer. She said that obviously there are people who can write stories like that regularly and write them well, but it wasn't her. I can definitely respect an admission like that.