Page 53 of 822 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153553 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I remember a case where she was also tossed into some power lines, and that powered her up nicely too.

The freezing... I suppose that all depends on which concepts of physics the writers want to play with. They've never been too specific about what kinds of energy she can absorb. However, usually it comes in the forms of blasty, zappy, lasery stuff. I'm not sure we've ever seen her absorb thermal or kinetic, for example.
    I know I've seen her absorbing the heat created during atmospheric reentry at one point.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by imawizard View Post
    relevant, I swear!

Batgirl has a new costume
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=53962

It looks... kind of familiar? practical, modest and mildly military. No, I'm not saying it was stolen or anything, what I'm saying is we're in the middle of a trend! Looks like Carol is on the right side of the trend, as are any supporters...

(my favorite part is the design guideline, "leather jacket - not spandex!")
    ((wahoo! 30th post made me a member!)
    When people were crying havok over the snap-on gloves (somebody actually likened the cape and gloves to a Liefeld design) I immediately thought of Carol's gloves on the cover of #1 2014

Anywho, I just read the new issue. I'm slightly adrift because I didn't read Infinity, but the threat is really starting to ramp up now that the mystery is out. I can certainly see why Starlird hates his dad so much...

I finally got to sit down and read the latest issue. I thought it was all kinds of fun. Towards the end, where it looked like defeat, i thought, That's... mature. You can't win 'em all.

Loved where KSD took that, can't wait to see the next issue.

Also loved the helmet in this issue, and instead of seeing it transformer on, Lopez had it sparkle into being.

Really satisfying issue starting to pay off the pieces KSD has been setting up.
    Last edited by heiro5; 07-11-2014 at 11:55 AM.

BANNED

I thought it was kinda cute when the lady in charge thought that Carol was simply a slave to the Avengers.

Negabands? I dont think she needs them. Now, I could see them being something she keeps in a vault somewhere for emergencies; Galactus attacks earth and for some reason she's the only hero around to stop him. I could see that. And that could be cool as a "once in a very great while" thing but honestly I'd rather just have her go Binary from time to time like she did during Infinity.

However, I wouldn't mind some Negaband like gauntlets being added to her costume for purely aesthetic reasons. I think her costume is about as perfect as it gets but I wouldnt be adverse to the addition.

If it were up to me, I'd start building up her supporting legacy type allies (like Ms. Marvel, Marvel Boy/Noh-Varr), bring back Phylla-Vell and let her rock the Negabands.

As for the types of energy Carol absorbs, I dont think she can absorb heat or kinetic energy, except perhaps in excessive amounts, such as what she'd get upon re-entry into the atmosphere. But thats never been clearly defined to my knowledge. But really, she's already a paragon with super strength, speed, flight, invulnerability, energy manipulation and absorption. Letting her absorb heat and/or kinetic energy with enough finesse she could freeze things would just be.....over the top.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Too many Nega-Bands around already. Carol doesn't need them.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Absorbing kinetic energy might be the reason she's bulletproof and able to withstand being thrown into/against/through large buildings. Say she absorbs the energy propelling the bullet as it hits her and it just drops away. Sounds a slight bit better than a typically silver-age unexplained "she's bulletproof because she is" general invulnerability. And she should be able to freeze stuff given the explanation of her powers so far, but I don't think comic-book writers know (or care) enough about physics to apply the effects consistently: hence lay-zer beams from eyes, freezing breath, weather generation, travelling by hammer throws, and, of course, flerkens.

Only book I've seen really explore powersets like this was Mark Waid's Irredeemable, wherein it was revealed the utterly reprehensible Plutonian's powers were all psychic in nature -- his flight, invulnerability, super strength all came from telekinesis -- and even he didn't realise this... thinking he was just freakishly strong, was invulnerable to damage, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    I didn't read Infinity
    Quick recap: ancient multiverse creators (the Builders) reappear and start wiping all the cultures in the galaxy out. Avengers come up with some good ideas and eventually start to lead the retaliation. Some fun bits with space battles and Thor throwing Mjolnir through a baddie. Builders are defeated, worlds are liberated and generally the Avenger's stock rises. Spartax Emperor J'Son gets revealed as a backstabbing sneak -- which might get expanded on in the current Cap.M/GOTG runs. Back on Earth Thanos has invaded and the Avengers + some friends return to deal with him. Carol appears as part of the Avengers team that goes down to face him, which is kind of a first really; she's also seen leading briefings with the Army Guy (despite memory loss); and leading teams of Avengers in the battles - which is something you wouldn't have seen Marvel editorial do back when she was plain Ms. Marvel. The event was a real boost for her standing and reputation.
    Last edited by snark^; 07-12-2014 at 08:47 AM.

J'Son's been an a-hole since Bendis' run on GOTG started.
    I surrender to the Contest

Quote Originally Posted by snark^ View Post
    ancient multiverse creators (the Builders) reappear and start wiping all the cultures in the galaxy out. Avengers come up with some good ideas and eventually start to lead the retaliation. Some fun bits with space battles and Thor throwing Mjolnir through a baddie. Builders are defeated, worlds are liberated and generally the Avenger's stock rises. Spartax Emperor J'Son gets revealed as a backstabbing sneak -- which might get expanded on in the current Cap.M/GOTG runs. Back on Earth Thanos has invaded and the Avengers + some friends return to deal with him. Carol appears as part of the Avengers team that goes down to face him, which is kind of a first really; she's also seen leading briefings with the Army Guy (despite memory loss); and leading teams of Avengers in the battles - which is something you wouldn't have seen Marvel editorial do back when she was plain Ms. Marvel. The event was a real boost for her standing and reputation.
    There were only a couple downsides to Carol's use in Infinity; the first is that the tie-in issues with her solo book were the weakest of the series, and since those tie-in issues were likely designed to increase sales and get some Avenger fans into the book, its a shame that the only issues they would have picked up (in theory) were the worst.

And the whole of Infinity never left much room for personal moments, so while Carol got to kick ass, take names and go Binary for a little while, her memory loss, its impact on her, her now broken friendship with Jess, the supporting cast she left at home....none of it got any attention, and those are the things that turn casual readers into fans. And that was not something unique to Carol either, no one got much "personal" time during Infinity, it wasnt supposed to be that sort of Event.

And none of this is meant to be a complaint about the Event either, I enjoyed Infinity a lot and I like that Carol got to shine a little bit.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I'd actually love to see Carol handle the powers of the Nega Bands it would give more than just a power upgrade a cosmic awareness. How she handles that kinda of galactic awareness of her surrounding and whether she can weather the onslaught of the various threats that may or may not come to present or the future. But I don't think KSD is that imaginative to handle such a story line given how she needed to make Carol flightless so I'll wait until someone more qualified will consider that idea perhaps Peter David, Dan Abnett or Keith Giffen.

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    I'd actually love to see Carol handle the powers of the Nega Bands it would give more than just a power upgrade a cosmic awareness. How she handles that kinda of galactic awareness of her surrounding and whether she can weather the onslaught of the various threats that may or may not come to present or the future. But I don't think KSD is that imaginative to handle such a story line given how she needed to make Carol flightless so I'll wait until someone more qualified will consider that idea perhaps Peter David, Dan Abnett or Keith Giffen.
    A few problems.

First of all, KSD didn't make Carol flightless in order to limit her. She did it as part of a story with a big emotional payoff.

Second, Carol wouldn't need the Nega bands to get cosmic awareness. She could just be given cosmic awareness.

Third, why the hell would you want her to have cosmic awareness? Why would you want her becoming more like Mar-Vell? Why not let her create her own frigging legacy as Captain Marvel, rather than copying the exact same damned plot that previous ones used? To hell with cosmic awareness. Someone else can have that shtick. I'm pretty sure Quasar's alive again, let him be the cosmic awareness guy, while Carol does her own thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    A few problems.

First of all, KSD didn't make Carol flightless in order to limit her. She did it as part of a story with a big emotional payoff.

Second, Carol wouldn't need the Nega bands to get cosmic awareness. She could just be given cosmic awareness.

Third, why the hell would you want her to have cosmic awareness? Why would you want her becoming more like Mar-Vell? Why not let her create her own frigging legacy as Captain Marvel, rather than copying the exact same damned plot that previous ones used? To hell with cosmic awareness. Someone else can have that shtick. I'm pretty sure Quasar's alive again, let him be the cosmic awareness guy, while Carol does her own thing.
    Well my mistake I didm't know. Otherwise I still like the idea its an interesting concept with great possibilities. Besides I don't trust writers who have to take the easy route "oh lets erase all her past experience and make her into something else." She could have easily ignored Carol's past and let a veteran writer take over to tell it. Also no need to being hostile I'm not playing down Carol's powers or her character.

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    Well my mistake I didm't know. Otherwise I still like the idea its an interesting concept with great possibilities. Besides I don't trust writers who have to take the easy route "oh lets erase all her past experience and make her into something else." She could have easily ignored Carol's past and let a veteran writer take over to tell it. Also no need to being hostile I'm not playing down Carol's powers or her character.
    Except KSD wasn't trying to take the easy route. What she wanted to do was take Carol's past and make it something the character herself played a bigger role in. The memory wipe was meant to give Carol more agency - the first time, it was something done to her, KSD made it a conscious choice.

It wasn't the work of some amateur trying to make things easy on herself by just resetting the character to zero. KSD's a professional writer, and a talented one, and she wanted to do something specific with Carol. She had a couple stories she wanted to tell with the character, so she told those stories.

BANNED

Perhaps, but another memory alteration in a character that has a history of them, was in fact put in her first title because of one, wasn't exactly appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Except KSD wasn't trying to take the easy route. What she wanted to do was take Carol's past and make it something the character herself played a bigger role in. The memory wipe was meant to give Carol more agency - the first time, it was something done to her, KSD made it a conscious choice.

It wasn't the work of some amateur trying to make things easy on herself by just resetting the character to zero. KSD's a professional writer, and a talented one, and she wanted to do something specific with Carol. She had a couple stories she wanted to tell with the character, so she told those stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Perhaps, but another memory alteration in a character that has a history of them, was in fact put in her first title because of one, wasn't exactly appealing.
    I think it was necessary to move Carol forward. She had often felt a little like her life was out of her control, or at the least like she was a victim as often as not, and if you want to elevate her to the A-list, that cant happen.

I do agree though that the same troupe being used got tiresome. But then again, Carol and KSD are far from the only characters/creators to do that. How many times has Batman *nearly* killed the Joker, or seen Gotham leveled? How often has Bruce Banner *nearly* escaped The Hulk? It happens in American comics, since nothing is allowed to really evolve or grow beyond the status quo. Recycled themes are a part of the genre (not a part I like, but still a part).

~ Black Panther.