Page 6 of 822 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106506 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 12326
  1. #76
    Jobbroni
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Well you know how all superhero friendships start:

    Step 1) Two superpeople/animals meet.
    Step 2) There's some big misunderstanding.
    Step 3) They beat each other up because violence solves everything.
    Step 4) Then they realize they're on the same side and the villain just got away.
    That's just hilarious. LOL

  2. #77
    Jobbroni
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NightMage View Post
    I remember that cover to X-men Legacy:

    Attachment 326

    And being a huge Mark Brooks fan right after that.
    The cover is all kinds of awesome.

    The inside is $HIT!!!!!

    Ah, good to be back.

  3. #78
    formerly 'saucemaster' saucemaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by albone View Post

    The inside is ****!!!!!
    Watch your language here!

  4. #79
    Mostly Harmless vakarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4

    Default

    This all makes me curious why she was chosen to make over into a superhero. Was that Conway's choice?

    In my book, Claremont did a fair job of writing her for the era, but once she made it into the main Avengers book as a regular, she became more of a straw feminist, although that was far from the only time she came across as a token.

    (Also out of curiosity...it's kind of interesting that while everyone's embraced the suit and helmet, nobody seems to draw her fauxhawk anymore?)
    Last edited by vakarian; 05-01-2014 at 02:42 PM.

  5. #80
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,583

    Default

    So, not to break up the conversation, but fun little story.

    So the other day my co-worker comes into work and tells me about her eleven year old daughter has become interested in superheroes after watching Thor 2. Okay, so naturally I lend her the various Marvel films so this little girl can enjoy the Avengers in all its built-up glory. And my co-worker asks if there are any good comics I'd recommend for her, and obviously my first thought is "Captain Marvel." (Sorry Wonder Woman, but you're a little too horror-themed right now)

    So last Wednesday I grabbed the first three issues of KSD's first run. I know, not a popular story here, but it seemed like the place to start. Saw my co-worker today, handed off the books, and Im happy to say that we know have a brand new Captain Marvel fan in the world.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  6. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So last Wednesday I grabbed the first three issues of KSD's first run. I know, not a popular story here, but it seemed like the place to start. Saw my co-worker today, handed off the books, and Im happy to say that we know have a brand new Captain Marvel fan in the world.
    I still liked that arc, no matter what the rest of you say!

    ... and thank you for recruiting a new member into the cult. You are one step closer to meeting your monthly quota.

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vakarian View Post
    (Also out of curiosity...it's kind of interesting that while everyone's embraced the suit and helmet, nobody seems to draw her fauxhawk anymore?)
    I think they intentionally changed her hair for this series. I actually liked the fauxhawk, but it doesn't really seem appropriate for a retired colonel to me. It seems more like something a teen hero would wear.

  8. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Well you know how all superhero friendships start:

    Step 1) Two superpeople/animals meet.
    Step 2) There's some big misunderstanding.
    Step 3) They beat each other up because violence solves everything.
    Step 4) Then they realize they're on the same side and the villain just got away.
    Hahaha, okay, so Chewie and Lucky have a big super-pet face-off, and then team up to fight against.... who? Does Doctor Doom have any pets? He seems like a guy that might have evil pets.

  9. #84
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vakarian View Post
    This all makes me curious why she was chosen to make over into a superhero. Was that Conway's choice?
    My understanding is that primarily Marvel just wanted to publish a comic called "Ms Marvel". It was probably a trademark thing (also see: Spider-Woman and She-Hulk). Conway's pitch is the one they accepted.

    I'm too lazy to dig out my copy of the 1976 issue, but in the letters page editorial Conway mentioned that there were other Ms Marvel concepts before he came aboard.

  10. #85
    Astonishing Member Myetche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lt Trouble View Post
    I think they intentionally changed her hair for this series. I actually liked the fauxhawk, but it doesn't really seem appropriate for a retired colonel to me. It seems more like something a teen hero would wear.
    I think they explained in-universe that Carol's hair grew so fast because of her powers, and eventually she just gave up trying to cut it.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

  11. #86
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lt Trouble View Post
    Hahaha, okay, so Chewie and Lucky have a big super-pet face-off, and then team up to fight against.... who? Does Doctor Doom have any pets? He seems like a guy that might have evil pets.
    If there's a DC/Marvel crossover they can meet Power Girl's cat Stinky.

  12. #87
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SouthEast Tennessee
    Posts
    2,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So, not to break up the conversation, but fun little story.

    So the other day my co-worker comes into work and tells me about her eleven year old daughter has become interested in superheroes after watching Thor 2. Okay, so naturally I lend her the various Marvel films so this little girl can enjoy the Avengers in all its built-up glory. And my co-worker asks if there are any good comics I'd recommend for her, and obviously my first thought is "Captain Marvel." (Sorry Wonder Woman, but you're a little too horror-themed right now)

    So last Wednesday I grabbed the first three issues of KSD's first run. I know, not a popular story here, but it seemed like the place to start. Saw my co-worker today, handed off the books, and Im happy to say that we know have a brand new Captain Marvel fan in the world.

    That's awesome!! Good job! Yes it is kind of sad that the premier super heroine doesn't have a book that can be given to young girls any more. But Captain Marvel is an excellent option!! I liked the initial arc a lot. Again, good job!

  13. #88
    Rookie Member genixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    I've actually learned a lot about digital painting just from looking at his stuff and trying to emulate it.

    i miss this suit.

  14. #89
    Jedi Knight AgentVenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    That's awesome!! Good job! Yes it is kind of sad that the premier super heroine doesn't have a book that can be given to young girls any more. But Captain Marvel is an excellent option!! I liked the initial arc a lot. Again, good job!
    I want to see a paradigm shift where Wonder Woman is no longer the de facto 'premier' super hero for girls. Obviously, I would prefer that Carol gained that title, but Wonder Woman is still drawn as eye candy straight guys with arrested emotional development (in my opinion). Captain Marvel, Batgirl, and Ms Marvel (Black Widow & Elektra might be a little too violent for some parents, while She-Hulk's legal drama might not connect with kids) are currently better choices for introducing younger girls to comics (not that girls should be relegated to titles featuring female characters), in my opinion.

  15. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentVenom View Post
    I want to see a paradigm shift where Wonder Woman is no longer the de facto 'premier' super hero for girls.
    An even better paradigm is the one where there is no defacto one... but there's lots of choices with Carol just one of many.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •