Page 699 of 822 FirstFirst ... 199599649689695696697698699700701702703709749799 ... LastLast
Results 10,471 to 10,485 of 12326
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    nah, it looks like a regular handshake. no need to drains his energy. he is some punk.
    Well, it didn't look like just a regular handshake to me. Also, we don't know who this guy is. He could be some random, but he could have a bigger role we're not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah people keep trying to make an equivalency between these two, but it doesn't work. They're not the same thing, it's that simple.

Do they have "fanservicey" shots in the films of male heroes with their shirts off, or wearing suspiciously tight-fitting shirts, yes they do. But here's the thing, they don't do that when they're in their SUPERHERO COSTUMES!! Cap's costume for example covers him pretty much head to toe.

What people are arguing here is for Carol to look "sexy" when it comes to her SUPERHERO COSTUME design, and prioritizing that. And that's VERY different from what the films do with the male heroes. No one is arguing for example, that Cap should have a costume that makes him shirtless, or shows off his butt prominently. That ONLY ever comes up when it comes to female heroes, and that's the problem (the double-standard).

You want a more accurate equivalency to what the films do with the male heroes when it comes to Carol? Then a scene or two of her in a swimsuit while at the beach, or at the pool, or a scene of her working out in a tank-top/sports bra/whatever, would be a more accurate one.
    This. And for the record, I'd have no problem with a Carol scene that's equivalent to the guys who work out or change shirtless. It's really harmless and not overly sexualized in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Well, it didn't look like just a regular handshake to me. Also, we don't know who this guy is. He could be some random, but he could have a bigger role we're not aware of.
    well, you never know.

to me, it looks clearly as a regular handshake with some punk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

She enjoys them.
    The issue with that is this was still during a time when female characters were largely just eye candy for teenage boys.

Again, I have no issue with women showing off what they got. No issue with guys doing it either, though I've no interest in looking. But this strikes me as being more for the target audience than something that fits Carol's character.

It certainly seems out of place in her modern context, at least. I wasn't reading Carol back in the early 80's (having just recently been born) so maybe it fit her more then.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The issue with that is this was still during a time when female characters were largely just eye candy for teenage boys.

Again, I have no issue with women showing off what they got. No issue with guys doing it either, though I've no interest in looking. But this strikes me as being more for the target audience than something that fits Carol's character.

It certainly seems out of place in her modern context, at least. I wasn't reading Carol back in the early 80's (having just recently been born) so maybe it fit her more then.
    Lol, yes when we didnt have MMA Carol Danvers, meaning most of her existence in comics, a costume like that and the woman liking it was fine.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah people keep trying to make an equivalency between these two, but it doesn't work. They're not the same thing, it's that simple.

Do they have "fanservicey" shots in the films of male heroes with their shirts off, or wearing suspiciously tight-fitting shirts, yes they do. But here's the thing, they don't do that when they're in their SUPERHERO COSTUMES!! Cap's costume for example covers him pretty much head to toe.

What people are arguing here is for Carol to look "sexy" when it comes to her SUPERHERO COSTUME design, and prioritizing that. And that's VERY different from what the films do with the male heroes. No one is arguing for example, that Cap should have a costume that makes him shirtless, or shows off his butt prominently. That ONLY ever comes up when it comes to female heroes, and that's the problem (the double-standard).

You want a more accurate equivalency to what the films do with the male heroes when it comes to Carol? Then a scene or two of her in a swimsuit while at the beach, or at the pool, or a scene of her working out in a tank-top/sports bra/whatever, would be a more accurate one.
    Agreed.

Carol’s old costume was just downright impractical.

And ugly and bland. It was generic female costume 101 which was almost identical to other female heroes back then when they were basically dressed in bikinis.

The new red, blue and gold is far more practical and the colors pop.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

It's cute and sexy but it's still pretty PG. I still think the problem is when modern artists make it look like something for Maxum Magazine.

I do think it's possible to adapt the Cockrum design to live action, although they would probably change a lot of it to make it not look like like a stripper suit like many artists did, and I'm sure some people would have a problem with that, because Carol looking sexy is the only thing they care about. Bottom line is, I don't think any live action suit would've made those particular fans happy, because the production would've always prioritized comfort and practicality over sexiness. It's just how live action wardrobe is nowadays.

But I agree that the reason they're going with this uniform is likely because they're adapting Captain and not Ms. Marvel. It's been clear for a while now they were skipping the Ms. era, so I'm not surprised that's the suit she's wearing.

That doesn't look like just a rough handshake... it looks like she might be doing something to his body. Draining his energy perhaps?
    Yeah, the guy is probably being a dick. Prior to the handshake -- which I would guess she instigates --he was giving her **** about her outfit and her "lost" behavior, with the news paper/map(?).
    The detail that's got me curious is that we can't see her reaction to what's happening. She's not moving and we can't see her face -- which could just be a filming thing, and the camera folks are focusing on the man's response to his hand being squeezed/siphoned(?) -- or she's just looking down at him in a very "Yeah, don't be a dick" way.

Or.... maybe this leather clad douche is a skrull. <shrug>

And on the subject of her "sexy" costume -- I'm seeing an awful lot of "just kidding" being used when suggesting skin exposure etc -- which to me says either (A) trying to antagonize, or (B) trying to save face. The times are a changing. Whereas Wonder Woman's skin exposure offers commentary on challenging the female archetype and how society defines female strength and body image etc etc, we're talking about Carol Danvers -- self made airforce pilot and deep space hero and Carol has ZERO reason to be worrying about her sex appeal, or the functionality of exposed arms/thighs, etc. She's moved past the latex hooker boots and prom gloves. She isn't Emma Frost, whose sexuality plays part and parcel with her character.
    Last edited by Fokken; 01-29-2018 at 05:37 AM.

Invincible Member

Just to throw it out there, while I know some fans will use this excuse to justify titillation, but there's not a contradiction between being sexy and being serious. The trick is to do it tastefully and not make everything look like potential wank material.

But I agree that the reason they're going with this uniform is likely because they're adapting Captain and not Ms. Marvel. It's been clear for a while now they were skipping the Ms. era, so I'm not surprised that's the suit she's wearing.
    Face it, Carol will never use the Ms. Marvel name or costume again. That name and it's associated thunderbolt symbol are Kamala's now.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Face it, Carol will never use the Ms. Marvel name or costume again. That name and it's associated thunderbolt symbol are Kamala's now.
    Likewise, Carol seems to have cemented her ownership of the Captain Marvel mantle.

And everyone is better off for these things. Kamala kicks ass, and so does Captain Marvel.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Gorgeous piece. I'm EVEN loving the hair.

Who is the artist on that Fokken do you know?
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Just to throw it out there, while I know some fans will use this excuse to justify titillation, but there's not a contradiction between being sexy and being serious. The trick is to do it tastefully and not make everything look like potential wank material.
    Personally I've always felt the trick is if you're going to make sex appeal a huge part of the character, make sure it fits in WITH the character beyond just a few lines of dialogue. The difference between wanting to look good and trying to emphasize your sexual appeal is usually in character intent and personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Who is the artist on that Fokken do you know?
    Sorry no. I just happened across it while spiraling down a Tumblr hole

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Gorgeous piece. I'm EVEN loving the hair.

Very nice!!!