Page 7 of 822 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107507 ... LastLast
    Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Trouble View Post
    I actually liked the fauxhawk, but it doesn't really seem appropriate for a retired colonel to me.
    OTOH, doing none-too-appropriate things just because she can is what most takes of Carol have been about.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

Sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear - I want a world where there are lots of choices, too.

BANNED

I want to see a paradigm shift where people stop holding up superheroes as role models and read comics solely for the entertainment value. Take off the fan goggles for a second, and it's immediately obvious that most superheroes are ridiculous people with extremely self-centered motives adhering to a fatally outdated morality that no self-respecting youngster should ever pattern themselves after.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwise View Post
    OTOH, doing none-too-appropriate things just because she can is what most takes of Carol have been about.
    Hahaha, true true. I wouldn't mind seeing her with short hair, or a (more practical/professional-looking) style that keeps it up out of her face.... but maybe she feels, like, "I did that all those years in the Air Force and now I want to do something totally different since I can".

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I want to see a paradigm shift where people stop holding up superheroes as role models and read comics solely for the entertainment value. Take off the fan goggles for a second, and it's immediately obvious that most superheroes are ridiculous people with extremely self-centered motives adhering to a fatally outdated morality that no self-respecting youngster should ever pattern themselves after.
    I think that's patently untrue. You're suggesting that self-sacrifice; accepting responsibility; treating those around you with dignity; respecting life; and standing up to bullies are vestiges of a 'fatally outdated morality'? Those seem to be exactly the qualities on which people (young or old) should pattern themselves. And, in a Captain Marvel thread, I don't see how you can claim super-heroes have extremely self-centered motives, considering Carol recently sacrificed her sense of self and her personal history to save a city full of strangers.

Or are you just trolling?

I think superheroes can be role models, insomuch as they demonstrate values like courage and fairness and doing the right thing even when it's hard (though clearly some fans don't get that message, or we wouldn't have a new forum), and that they encourage big dreams and tell kids "you can do anything". I think most people, even kids, know that the vigilantism that superheroes engage in is fantasy.

All Human Beings (and Asgardians, Aliens, etc) are flawed.
    Carol is no exception, and I love her, and all my other heroes, for precisely that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Trouble View Post
    I think superheroes can be role models, insomuch as they demonstrate values like courage and fairness and doing the right thing even when it's hard (though clearly some fans don't get that message, or we wouldn't have a new forum), and that they encourage big dreams and tell kids "you can do anything". I think most people, even kids, know that the vigilantism that superheroes engage in is fantasy.
    Even if you wipe away all the morally questionable actions of all these superheroes, comics still adhere very closely to the notion that some people are just inherently special and don't need to live by the same rules as everyone else. And while it may seem like a positive lesson to show these empowered individuals using their abilities for good, the stories very rarely question whether the heroes really have the proper judgement or perspective to determine the utility of their own actions. For example, the way that Batman ruthlessly tortures petty street criminals is at best unhelpful and at worst senselessly cruel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AgentVenom View Post
    I want to see a paradigm shift where Wonder Woman is no longer the de facto 'premier' super hero for girls.
    That's a tall order seeing as how Wondy is pretty soaked into the public conscience.
    It's possible though. All Carol needs is a movie that does well and BAM!

Here's hoping.

formerly 'saucemaster' saucemaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AgentVenom View Post
    I want to see a paradigm shift where Wonder Woman is no longer the de facto 'premier' super hero for girls. Obviously, I would prefer that Carol gained that title, but Wonder Woman is still drawn as eye candy straight guys with arrested emotional development (in my opinion). Captain Marvel, Batgirl, and Ms Marvel (Black Widow & Elektra might be a little too violent for some parents, while She-Hulk's legal drama might not connect with kids) are currently better choices for introducing younger girls to comics (not that girls should be relegated to titles featuring female characters), in my opinion.
    I was about to 'go off' til i got to your last parenthetical!

formerly 'saucemaster' saucemaster's Avatar

Even if you wipe away all the morally questionable actions of all these superheroes, comics still adhere very closely to the notion that some people are just inherently special and don't need to live by the same rules as everyone else. And while it may seem like a positive lesson to show these empowered individuals using their abilities for good, the stories very rarely question whether the heroes really have the proper judgement or perspective to determine the utility of their own actions. For example, the way that Batman ruthlessly tortures petty street criminals is at best unhelpful and at worst senselessly cruel.
    Off hand, I can't recall an instance of Carol Danvers doing it, but seeing someone like Spider-Man or Daredevil beat a random person on the street to get information really rubs my sense of justice the wrong way, and it makes it impossible to call them 'role models'.

Extraordinary Member

Isn't it how we deal with out flaws that really make us human?!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by saucemaster View Post
    Off hand, I can't recall an instance of Carol Danvers doing it, but seeing someone like Spider-Man or Daredevil beat a random person on the street to get information really rubs my sense of justice the wrong way, and it makes it impossible to call them 'role models'.
    Admittedly this was a bad thread to start my little soapbox rant, but it does seem like the way to boost a character's popularity is to make them more "badass" and "hardcore" which inevitably leads to moral bankruptcy played for laughs.

Admittedly this was a bad thread to start my little soapbox rant, but it does seem like the way to boost a character's popularity is to make them more "badass" and "hardcore" which inevitably leads to moral bankruptcy played for laughs.
    Given this, kind of ironically... the current push for Carol seems to be centered on a very positive tone! Vol 2, especially, seems pretty light-hearted and happy.

Magick is Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by genixx View Post
    i miss this suit.
    Especially when it's Mark Brooks that does it.