Page 701 of 822 FirstFirst ... 201601651691697698699700701702703704705711751801 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,515 of 12326
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    he wears a bodysuit

there's no such thing as a "onepice bikini."

That's like saying here's my pet a catdog.

A bikini is made up of two separate parts while a one piece is made up of one piece.

What doesnt make sense about it?
    Dude, google one piece bikini. I’m surprised you’ve never see or heard of it.

It doesn’t make sense because why would a superhero want to wear a bikini while “superheroing”.

Guys don’t wear swim wear to fight crime so why should women? It not only doesn’t make sense it’s actually absurd when you really think about it.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-29-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Guys don’t wear swim suits to fight crime so why should women?
    Shh, don't tell Namor!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Shh, don't tell Namor!
    Good one. You got me there

But it’s funny that no one complained when he moved to a full body suit (granted he still shows some sexy chest).

I can understand that people have attachment to the Ms Marvel costume but I don’t understand why folks have a problem with her covering up.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    sure you were.
    How did you reach the conclusion that this was a slur?

that's why you used a Frank Cho picture;
    i never posted and Frank Cho pic.

as if it was Carol's normal way of being depicted.
    That is the standard depiction of her until recently.

and you didn't really answer the question. what's 'MMA' about her?
    First, you havent answer my question.

Second, that reply you quote still doesnt answer this? It's pretty clear i said she looks like an MMA female fighter now.

If you dont watch MMA fighting google MMA female fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Dude, google one piece bikini. I’m surprised you’ve never see or heard of it.
    There's no such thing as a one-piece bikini, google will not give you any results except look for those two words being used together in websites.

It doesn’t make sense because why would a superhero want to wear a bikini while “superheroing”.
    That's not an answer that's just posing a question.

Guys don’t wear swim wear to fight crime so why should women? It not only doesn’t make sense it’s actually absurd when you really think about it.
    Some do.

Namor, Beast, Hercules just wears a little loin cloth deal, Hulk just wears what appear to be shorts, Thing, Triton, Colossus is essentially in a one-piece, etc.

What's absurb about it?

There are no rules to what one should wear.

Ultimate Member

How did you reach the conclusion that this was a slur?

i never posted and Frank Cho pic.

That is the standard depiction of her until recently.

First, you havent answer my question.

Second, that reply you quote still doesnt answer this? It's pretty clear i said she looks like an MMA female fighter now.

If you dont watch MMA fighting google MMA female fighters.

There's no such thing as a one-piece bikini, google will not give you any results except look for those two words being used together in websites.

That's not an answer that's just posing a question.

Some do.

Namor, Beast, Hercules just wears a little loin cloth deal, Hulk just wears what appear to be shorts, Thing, Triton, Colossus is essentially in a one-piece, etc.

What's absurb about it?

You do realise that there are MANY types of bikinis. Superheroing in bikinis doesn’t make any sense.

Hulk doesn’t wear any costume, he wears torn up purple pants. Most of the guys you mentioned are actually monsters but even at that Namor, Thing, Triton, Hercules, Colossus and even the Hulk have cycled through different outfits and several times worn outfits that cover them up without anyone complaining. Why is it different for female characters?

I still find it very odd that Carol is being called ugly for not bearing more skin, since when did a woman wearing a full body suit equate to being ugly.

Ultimate Member

If anyone calls Brie Larson "unattractive" just because she wears a more practical outfit, and it's in any other context except as a joke or mocking the notion, then I just have to shake my head.

Also it's a sad commentary on how restrictive ideas of "attractiveness" or "what's sexy" can be in society for women.

Some do.

What's absurb about it?

It makes some sense for most of those to wear what they wear. It doesn't make sense for Carol to wear a swimsuit.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Shh, don't tell Namor!
    Namor at least has the excuse that he lives in water, and I don't hear many people complaining when he started wearing a vest and paints. Also I don't hear many people complaining when Aquaman wears a bodysuit despite bein in water and having water-based powers.

Also the ratio of male to female characters is woefully skewed when it comes to this topic.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It makes some sense for most of those to wear what they wear. It doesn't make sense for Carol to wear a swimsuit.
    Also there are MANY more female characters who are drawn in skimpy/revealing outfits (and with far less in-story justification for them to boot) than male ones. If the ratio was more balanced, then perhaps this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue, but it's not so it is.

Also most comic book writers/artists still tending to be male doesn't help matters either.

But it’s funny that no one complained when he moved to a full body suit (granted he still shows some sexy chest).
    I did.

I'm okay with the occasional different outfit, but Namor looses some of his impact when he's not walking around in chainmail bikini briefs.

Likewise, Hercules should not wear pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Also there are MANY more female characters who are drawn in skimpy/revealing outfits (and with far less in-story justification for them to boot) than male ones. If the ratio was more balanced, then perhaps this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue, but it's not so it is.

Also most comic book writers/artists still tending to be male doesn't help matters either.
    Even though you're totally right, it's kinda painful to read this, because it's just so obvious and yet there are still people who don't understand. Or just pretend not to, I guess.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Even though you're totally right, it's kinda painful to read this, because it's just so obvious and yet there are still people who don't understand. Or just pretend not to, I guess.
    The bolded part is probably the case.

Ultimate Member

Look let me make it clear. If the film wants to do an ACTUAL equivalency to the "male heroes with their shirts off/in tight-fitting civilians clothes" with Carol, and it's decently-written, then I have NO problems with that. Heck if you want to have Carol get a LI in the film and have sex, then I have no problem with it as long as it's decently-written (I had no issues with Diana and Steve Trevor doin the nasty in the Wonder Woman movie for example).

But those are VERY different matters than trying to argue that her wearing a skimpy/revealing outfit, somehow are "equivalent" because they're not.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I think the key is to be true to the character. Emma Frost's outfits fit the character. They're revealing without being objectifying (most of the time). I'm not sure why skimpy outfits for the sake of being skimpy outfits fit Carol's character. I will say the Ms. Marvel outfit we're used to was an attempt to make it less skimpy than what was before, fwiw. But the jumpsuit just makes way more sense to me - both as a character who had a career in the Air Force and NASA and as a tribute to Mar-Vell.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

^Exactly this.