Page 746 of 822 FirstFirst ... 246646696736742743744745746747748749750756796 ... LastLast
Results 11,176 to 11,190 of 12326

On the emotional connection bit...

She had those connections restored near the end of Brian Reed's run. (One of my beefs with that run is that what should have been this major, watershed moment for her was like... a panel, thus easily overlooked.)

Then she got brainwiped again near the end of KSD's run... but that was more of a straight up amnesia.

Am I forgetting a point when someone hit the undo button on what Reed did?
    Last edited by lilyinblue; 07-14-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VirusChan View Post
    This preview is representing Carol’s father and her relationship with him wrong.Carol never hated her father, and he wasn’t this abusive, violent man. In his very first appearance Joe was shown to be heroic, rescuing a crewman from a falling pillar.

Attachment 68247

Even if he was shown as very stubborn and prideful he still genuinely cared for Carol wanting the best for her. The conflict between the two came from different perspectives of what was best and Carol understood this.

Attachment 68246

Now presuming I could accept this version of there relationship as canon. That Joe Danvers was a violent man whom Carol grow up resenting (which she didn’t). I cannot accept Carol hating her father now because of her emotional detachment to her past (that some people on the forum have already noted). Carol really shouldn’t be able to feel anything towards her father, just a vague recollection that he used to yell at her.

Okay, so you might be asking “Why does any of this matter?” Well it all has to do with consistency. Carol’s biggest issue in the comics right now is her consistency, she doesn’t have a stable set of villains, supporting characters, no main love interest or arch villain. Even things like her relationship with her father can be seemingly changed on a whim by a writer. This is what needs to stop.

In conclusion, I implore anyone who believes that this character’s continuity matters to not buy this book.
    If you look at the stuff from 40 years ago, Carol's father was not abusive. But, he wants Carol to fit into the image he had for her. Remember, the 1970's are not today. Joe was a traditionalist who felt a woman's place was in the home. (In issue #19 of the first series, Carol's father refuses to help her finance college. He states "Besides, you don't need college to find a good husband.") Carol rebelled against her father's "old fashion" attitude. I see her frustation as wanting unconditional love and acceptance instead of having to conform to his image of her "proper" place.
    The only time I can find that Carol's father ever struck her, at least when Claremont was writing her, was in UXM#164. Carol states: "When I was a teenager, I hitchhiked to Cape Canaveral to watch an Apollo launch. My dad whaled the tar outta me, but it worth it."
    Last edited by mikeb; 07-15-2018 at 03:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Based on a quick look at the preview art (so out of context and I could have missed something), the hitting here seems to be somewhat similar - he's viewing it as disciplining them for their reckless behavior. It's also been established that her dad had alcohol abuse issues in the past (just like Carol has).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by VirusChan View Post
    This preview is representing Carol’s father and her relationship with him wrong.Carol never hated her father, and he wasn’t this abusive, violent man. In his very first appearance Joe was shown to be heroic, rescuing a crewman from a falling pillar.

Attachment 68247

Even if he was shown as very stubborn and prideful he still genuinely cared for Carol wanting the best for her. The conflict between the two came from different perspectives of what was best and Carol understood this.

Attachment 68246

Now presuming I could accept this version of there relationship as canon. That Joe Danvers was a violent man whom Carol grow up resenting (which she didn’t). I cannot accept Carol hating her father now because of her emotional detachment to her past (that some people on the forum have already noted). Carol really shouldn’t be able to feel anything towards her father, just a vague recollection that he used to yell at her.

Okay, so you might be asking “Why does any of this matter?” Well it all has to do with consistency. Carol’s biggest issue in the comics right now is her consistency, she doesn’t have a stable set of villains, supporting characters, no main love interest or arch villain. Even things like her relationship with her father can be seemingly changed on a whim by a writer. This is what needs to stop.

In conclusion, I implore anyone who believes that this character’s continuity matters to not buy this book.
    1 - Wow, this last line is sooo extra dramatic.

2 - I don't see how the preview in any way contradicts those panels you posted. How does rescuing a crewman who was falling instantly means he's a good parent? He has always been portrayed as being sexist and conservative at least, treating Carol differently from her brothers. Also, lots of people are hit by their parents as kids and don't necessarily "grow to resent them" in the sense that they absolutely hate them and don't wanna be around them anymore, but then that ends up being something that affects them deep down.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    1 - Wow, this last line is sooo extra dramatic.

2 - I don't see how the preview in any way contradicts those panels you posted. How does rescuing a crewman who was falling instantly means he's a good parent? He has always been portrayed as being sexist and conservative at least, treating Carol differently from her brothers. Also, lots of people are hit by their parents as kids and don't necessarily "grow to resent them" in the sense that they absolutely hate them and don't wanna be around them anymore, but then that ends up being something that affects them deep down.
    Well I never said that saving his crewman from falling was an indicator of good parenting, but it does show that Joe feels responsible to those under him and is willing to risk his life for their safety. A indicator of someone being heroic.

I am concerned in how the relationship between Carol and her father is being present. In this preview specifically she states “I’ll beat down the memories so hard they will never come back.” Showing her father angry and a fist raised.

Carol didn’t resent her father like this. Her relationship with her father as presented by both Claremont and Reed as wanting her father’s approval, to have him accept her accomplishments as he did her brothers.

If say the flashback showing the relationship between her father was this. Carol coming home after basic training in the air force, her mother praises Carol’s decision to serve, while her father sits in his chair reading a newspaper and comments on how she should leave the fighting to the men and go find herself a husband. Show how at the time those words stung and I would be perfectly fine with it.

Yet how their relationship is presented here considering both how previous writers depicted their relationship and how in the present Carol has an emotional detachment to her past that still lingers, it doesn’t work. If this writer wants to write about Carol’s relationship with her father then do it, but they have to consider how it was presented beforehand and what moral lessons were brought with it.

I guess why this is annoying me so much is because one of the major themes presented in Carol’s older comics whether that was in her relationship with her father or her journey to become Captain Marvel in Reeds run was this idea that how one values oneself in terms of their accomplishments means more than how others judge it. This is a theme I don’t see much in Carol’s comics anymore. At least when it is not being drowned out by this over saturated idea that Carol should be the most popular and powerful hero on the planet.

Are we all very, very, excited for today's release??

omg please be good please be good please be good please be good

I just read The Life of Captain Marvel #1 and it wildly exceeded my expectations. I thought it was one of the best single issues of Captain Marvel I've ever read. I won't spoil it, but I highly recommend it.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I just read The Life of Captain Marvel #1 and it wildly exceeded my expectations. I thought it was one of the best single issues of Captain Marvel I've ever read. I won't spoil it, but I highly recommend it.
    omg that is SO fantastic to hear!

I am in dire need to rekindle my love of Carol.

Carol has long hair again!

Unfortunately I doubt it will be seen outside this mini

I really liked the first issue. I know some people don't like that, but I'm all for slice-of-life and drama over action, so I tought this was great. The art too. The whole alien thing her dad had though... Not sure how that's gonna go.

Just read the first issue and I have to say that it was good. Surprising that it came from the same writer of the Mighty Captain Marvel, hope the next issues will have the same quality as the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Carol has long hair again!

Unfortunately I doubt it will be seen outside this mini
    What is that picture from?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    What is that picture from?
    her mini released today

Incredible Member

Where the hell was this writing in the ongoing? Also I see they are using this series to make Carol look like her movie counterpart it’s the only reason I can explain the hair but I’m fine with it and actually prefer it long. Curious if the growing child in the pod will be like a mini carol? Making the cover with a younger Carol in the mirror be more than just a reflection. Also not huge into my Carol lore but what happened to her 2nd brother? Hope to see her other brother regain full capabilities that was a bit sad but added to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    Where the hell was this writing in the ongoing? Also I see they are using this series to make Carol look like her movie counterpart it’s the only reason I can explain the hair but I’m fine with it and actually prefer it long. Curious if the growing child in the pod will be like a mini carol? Making the cover with a younger Carol in the mirror be more than just a reflection. Also not huge into my Carol lore but what happened to her 2nd brother? Hope to see her other brother regain full capabilities that was a bit sad but added to the story.
    Her other brother died years ago while in the army.