Page 787 of 822 FirstFirst ... 287687737777783784785786787788789790791797 ... LastLast
Results 11,791 to 11,805 of 12326
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I'm sorry but I've got to disagree with this rant. "All politics...blah, blah, blah?" I don't think so. I mean, no one is removing Bruce Banner from She-Hulk's origin, or Tony Stark from Riri's or Hank Pym from Jan or Nadia's. And who said that all of Carol's previous accomplishments don't matter? And who said that heroes that got their powers from accidents aren't as good those who have them naturally? This is just bizarre supposition.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I'm into it.

I give precisely zero fux about any perceived parallels to Supergirl or Wonder Woman or anyone for that matter because if anyone digs deep enough they are bound to find similarities, however weak or strong or silly or grand. That's just how it is.
    I very much enjoyed this issue.
    This changes nothing. Seriously.
    She merely found out that what she THOUGHT granted her alien powers (psych mag) STILL granted her alien powers -- in the sense that it ACTIVATED THEM. She learned some crazy shit about her Mom and Dad -- who HASN'T(??) -- but it doesn't change WHO she is. She's still this woman who fought tooth and nail to climb the ladder of success and strove to become the best superhero she could be AND she's half Kree.

THIS JUST IN: GIRD YOUR LOINS KIDDIES. CAROL DANVERS IS HALF KREE.
    <gasp>
    STILL.
    She was a regular walk about town kind of gal, fending off male perception of what a woman was capable of, and then BLAMMO -- she got into some heavy Alien shit that LITERALLY exploded in her face and when the dust settled and she got keyed in on what the aforementioned-face-explosion DID --- well, GUESS WHAT: Carol is HALF KREE.

I cannot understand why folks are up in arms about this reveal that she was ALWAYS low-key-Half-Kree, or that her dick-Dad was actually being a dick because SURE he's a bit of a misogynist but he ALSO was terrified for his daughter's safety as a would-be-Space-Warrior. Doesn't change that he was being a dick -- just gives us some more insight as to what may have motivated SOME of his DICK behavior.

This "retcon" -- in my mind -- is MUCH LESS retcon and much more "blu ray bonus featurette" explaining aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the shit we DIDN'T KNOW that was there all along -- again, that changes NOTHING beyond WHAT CAROL THOUGHT-- and now we DO know and we've got a boat load of NEW GROUND to explore moving forward -- that Kelly Thompson is going to inevitably crush, because she's Rad AF and talented to the 9's.

I found this narrative delightful.
    I'm thrilled to FINALLY enjoy Captain Marvel again.
    Right. I mean, they've been playing up the idea of Carol as a human/Kree hybrid for years. Now that she's a natural hybrid instead of artificial we're supposed to be offended?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm sorry but I've got to disagree with this rant. "All politics...blah, blah, blah?" I don't think so. I mean, no one is removing Bruce Banner from She-Hulk's origin, or Tony Stark from Riri's or Hank Pym from Jan or Nadia's. And who said that all of Carol's previous accomplishments don't matter? And who said that heroes that got their powers from accidents aren't as good those who have them naturally? This is just bizarre supposition.
    PREACH.
    There is NOTHING political about this story. NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    So are they gonna activate her brother's Kree physiology so he can walk again?
    Joe has no Kree physiology. According to issue #4, Joe Danvers was "a widower with two small boys and a big heart." In other words, Mari-ell was Joe's second wife. Convenient for Carol not to have any male Kree siblings, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Joe has no Kree physiology. According to issue #4, Joe Danvers was "a widower with two small boys and a big heart." In other words, Mari-ell was Joe's second wife. Convenient for Carol not to have any male Kree siblings, huh?
    Convenient?
    How about deliberate. THE WHOLE STORY IS FICTION AND THUS FRAMED TO BE THE WAY IT IS. Its not like this is happy happenstance. The writer wrote this WITH INTENT.
    CAROL is the star.
    CAROL is the superhero.
    Not her brothers.

There are plenty of HEROES with siblings and those siblings don't have powers. Because thats how the writer wrote it.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Sounds like Stohl covered her bases so I might pick up the singles. Too bad I'm busy. I passed out when I got home yesterday

So they made her Space Lord lite?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    So they made her Space Lord lite?
    Nah. They made her Aquaman.
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 10-18-2018 at 08:15 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Star-Lord? I forgot about him.

Now I wouldn't mind StarMarvel ship.

This "retcon" -- in my mind -- is MUCH LESS retcon and much more "blu ray bonus featurette" explaining aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the shit we DIDN'T KNOW that was there all along -- again, that changes NOTHING beyond WHAT CAROL THOUGHT-- and now we DO know and we've got a boat load of NEW GROUND to explore moving forward -- that Kelly Thompson is going to inevitably crush, because she's Rad AF and talented to the 9's.
    Just imaging me inserting some sort of wild clapping and cheering emoji here.

I'm sure part of this is about movie synergy. I'm sure a lot of it isn't about, "Carol shouldn't get her powers from a MAN!" but more about "Carol shouldn't get her powers from a character who we've had no time to develop or explore thus removing most of the emotional resonance for the movie audience because they don't know who this Mar-vell dude is."

Carol's still Carol. This has been an enjoyable ride and I'm looking forward to more.

Convenient?
    How about deliberate. THE WHOLE STORY IS FICTION AND THUS FRAMED TO BE THE WAY IT IS. Its not like this is happy happenstance. The writer wrote this WITH INTENT.
    CAROL is the star.
    CAROL is the superhero.
    Not her brothers.

There are plenty of HEROES with siblings and those siblings don't have powers. Because thats how the writer wrote it.
    Yes. But don't forget than now it was retcon because Carol was the middle child and now she is the minor child. You can't let Carol position be threatened by someone else. Which makes me fear for Mari-Ell life in the last issue. I mean, she is also a potential replacement.
    And Carol would need a parent who deversed to be mourned, too.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    No, he was from a previous marriage, so he's all human.
    On that revelation -- I call 'bullshit. But whatever.

I do recall that in the early issues of Ms. Marvel volume I -- her suit had built in technology including flight and a personal force field that made her close to invulnerable. The force field got burnt out early. But it was also explained that her powers were developing slowly -- over time. So eventually, she would reach the same level she had when the suit was working at peak capacity. That said -- I would say that she was much tougher than a regular Kree. The Psyche Magnitron was supposed to emulate the powers of Captain Marvel. And I assume that whatever additional strength he had came from the nega-bands?

But the levels she is at now have more to do with the Brood tampering with her DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Just imaging me inserting some sort of wild clapping and cheering emoji here.

I'm sure part of this is about movie synergy. I'm sure a lot of it isn't about, "Carol shouldn't get her powers from a MAN!" but more about "Carol shouldn't get her powers from a character who we've had no time to develop or explore thus removing most of the emotional resonance for the movie audience because they don't know who this Mar-vell dude is."

Carol's still Carol. This has been an enjoyable ride and I'm looking forward to more.
    Removing what emotional resonance?
    The MCU already had Kree so there's no issue having a ten minute scene of a Kree that saves her from some explosion leading to her powers. They can even have her be the only seen leaving the area so they don't have to explain Marv.

Ehhhh. <shrug>
    Yes her mom was space-WOW but she never KNEW any of that and has been ladder climbing and expectation-hurdling and inching her way to that glass ceiling (which we now know is apparently on Hala, haha) so if anything she's just acquired fresh new motivation (crippling pressure? lol) by this revelation to be space-WOWIER because: legacy
    Right, it doesn't change Carol's experiences or story because she never knew, and apparently didn't gain any benefits of her unique biology until being hit by the magnetron (correct?). But it's still shifting the themes. Legacy has always been an aspect of Carol's story, but now it's been shifted from Mar-Vell to her mother. That's a different kind of legacy and dynamic. With Mar-Vell, it's a matter of Carol being a badass who just happened to be in the right place at the right time and ended up with a chance to be even more badass, but there was still a big element of luck involved. But now, it's a blood right. Being in the right place and time still apparently plays a role because the magnitron is what activates her innate powers, but it's still now a matter of heredity. It seems that maybe this is less a matter of Carol getting really lucky, and more a matter of Carol finally being given what was already her's. It's not a step backwards, or a step forwards.....it just feels like a step sideways, moving Carol away from Mar-Vell and re-establishing more of her story beats with her own supporting cast.

But again, I haven't read it and am just going by the previews I've seen and the stuff ya'll are saying.

RESPECT.
    I look forward to your thoughts post-trade-read
    Well, you guys are enjoying it so much I'm pretty sure I'll love it too. I mean, when it comes to Carol my tastes are largely in lockstep with several of the regular posters here. All I'm saying is, I can see why some people might not care for the "blood right" element. Me? I'm keeping an open mind til I read it but I can also see how this is going to alter some of the themes in the IP.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

UNRELATED to the most recent issue of CM ---BUT......

Can anyone fire off an explanation as to why Carol isn't wearing a helmet to breathe underwater during issue 9 of Earth's Mightiest Avengers, when they take on Sexy Namor?
    She can talk and breath underwater just fine? Was that always a thing?