Page 9 of 822 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109509 ... LastLast

issue 15, I'd guess.
    I surrender to the Contest

Wow, page 9 and posts in the 120s. I feel like I'm totally late to the party, haha! Great to see the thread up and running strong.

Turns out, my first child was born the day before the forums reboot, so things have been a bit busy around here. Of course I'm all aflutter in anticipation of finding out what her interests will be, and if I will be able to turn her on to Captain Marvel. I continue to be grateful for the new costume (and I loved the old costume), now more than ever. Can I picture making a CM costume for a child in grade school? Obviously yes. That Ms. Marvel costume for a girl in the 3rd grade? Yeah... not so much. I dig Batwoman, too, and her look is very cool and I think appropriate for a kid to be into, but her adventures so far have been a bit on the dark side (right up daddy's alley). That'll be a hand off to an older child. Captain Marvel is someone I can have around for flipping through as soon as my girl is flipping through anything.

As to the conversation about superheroes and whether or not they are appropriate role models..? I think the idea of a person you literally model your behavior off of is not necessarily where it's at, but we put ourselves into the shoes of what protagonist we are reading about or watching -- all the more so with this kind of episodic, ongoing fiction. I, as a guy, am very into a lot of female heroes, so I don't think one can only or should only identify with those who bear a resemblance to oneself. However, I think there is personal power is seeing yourself reflected is some way, sometimes, and that never seeing yourself reflected at all puts little dings in your spirits. So I am really glad that if my girl doesn't want to go all-princess-all-the-time and I can get her on board with some hero adventure, there is an awesome character she can see herself in directly. That said, coming out of my lcs a few weeks ago, I saw a girl of maybe 4 years old with her mom or grandma, rocking a head-to-toe Spider-Man look and my heart totally melted for her.

Anyway, I'm going to repost one of the last things I ever posted in our old digs, and get some cosplay going up in here.

This woman is rocking such perfect attitude to me. This was just a week ago or so, at C2E2 2014.

And because I can't be stopped or helped, I'm reposting the one Captain Marvel piece I've had time to do. Of course I'm hoping to find time for more illustrations of Carol kicking ass.

For the record, the helmet ROCKS and the faux-hawk is cool. That should be my signature, hahaha!, no CM context, just "The helmet ROCKS, the faux-hawk is cool."
    Last edited by heiro5; 05-03-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Congratulations!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by heiro5 View Post
    So I am really glad that if my girl doesn't want to go all-princess-all-the-time and I can get her on board with some hero adventure, there is an awesome character she can see herself in directly. That said, coming out of my lcs a few weeks ago, I saw a girl of maybe 4 years old with her mom or grandma, rocking a head-to-toe Spider-Man look and my heart totally melted for her.

This reminds me of a conversation I overheard the tail end of some years ago at my job. A woman was talking about dressing her young daughter up for Halloween and said something like, "Yeah, and I was trying to tell her,'Don't you want to be a princess?' and she was like 'No, Spiderman!'" But the mom ended up getting her little girl a Spiderman suit so cool. It's cool for everyone to have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Congratulations!
    Thanks!

Already thinking about figuring out what is the tiniest Capt Marvel t-shirt I can find. I imagine she's a couple of years away, but I will be holding, lol.

Oh, and this story right here ^ is what I'm talking about!

Captain Marvel checkmates Victor Von Doom. From FCB

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

Captain Marvel checkmates Victor Von Doom. From FCB
    I almost think the scene would continue with Doom saying, "What are you talking about? I'm playing white. You're the one in checkmate."

Followed by Carol punching him in the face and saying, "Told you."

Quote Originally Posted by heiro5 View Post
    Wow, page 9 and posts in the 120s. I feel like I'm totally late to the party, haha! Great to see the thread up and running strong.

Turns out, my first child was born the day before the forums reboot, so things have been a bit busy around here. Of course I'm all aflutter in anticipation of finding out what her interests will be, and if I will be able to turn her on to Captain Marvel. I continue to be grateful for the new costume (and I loved the old costume), now more than ever. Can I picture making a CM costume for a child in grade school? Obviously yes. That Ms. Marvel costume for a girl in the 3rd grade? Yeah... not so much. I dig Batwoman, too, and her look is very cool and I think appropriate for a kid to be into, but her adventures so far have been a bit on the dark side (right up daddy's alley). That'll be a hand off to an older child. Captain Marvel is someone I can have around for flipping through as soon as my girl is flipping through anything.
    Congratulations! My wife and I have a ten month old; I totally get where you're at. I was always aware of the "no girls allowed" thing, and knew it was a problem, but I never felt it as acutely as I have since my daughter was born. Im not real keen on a lot of the "role models" popular culture has to offer.

My little girl isn't going to be *anyone's* damsel in distress, she's going to be a f**king lion and we're making sure Carol, and any other self-assertive, strong, responsible role models we can kind, are a part of that. I find myself relieved that there are characters out there like Carol, Korra (from this anime I recently found), and yes Wonder Woman (work it if you got it, sister!), instead of an endless morass of Lindsay Lohans and Mylie Cyrusses...Cyrussi....whatever. There are lots of amazing, real life women for my daughter to look up to of course. And some of these chicks, wow. But a lot of the things that stick with us are the things we gain from our entertainment, so Im glad there are comics and cartoons out there that will tell her she can be just as amazing and successful and powerful as the boys.

As for this suddenly off-beat conversation about the validity of superheroes as role models, the argument against it is flawed from conception because its not taking into effect the fact that superheroes are taken metaphorically and not literally.

Taken literally, superheroes are pretty terrible people. The battle between good and evil largely just ends up looking like rival gangs fighting turf wars. The morality is simplistic, the efforts made misguided (assuming real cultural change is the ultimate goal). They lie to their loved ones and endanger everyone around them without anyone's consent or knowledge. Their violence first policies would realistically result in the deaths of millions and trillions in property damage, if not complete and utter environmental breakdown. Truthfully, a superhuman population the size of DC's, with those power levels....we'd all likely be long dead.

BUT, all that is the fantasy. Its clearly the fantasy; because real people dont wear spandex costumes and fly through the air and throw cars. Thats base wish-fulfillment and popcorn entertainment, with a core of honest moral and ethical lessons. You stand up to bullies. You help your fellow man. You try to make the world a little nicer. Work hard, do the right thing even when its tough, respect the people who deserve it. Move forward. In which universe are those bad values to embrace?
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-03-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Thanks, Ascended. And congrats to you as well.

I totally agree with everything you're saying. A little lion, indeed.

Meanwhile, that Joe Q piece is fantastic.

formerly 'saucemaster' saucemaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

My little girl isn't going to be *anyone's* damsel in distress, she's going to be a f**king lion and we're making sure Carol, and any other self-assertive, strong, responsible role models we can kind, are a part of that. I find myself relieved that there are characters out there like Carol, Korra (from this anime I recently found), and yes Wonder Woman (work it if you got it, sister!), instead of an endless morass of Lindsay Lohans and Mylie Cyrusses...Cyrussi....whatever.
    Cyri. ..........

Yeah, just a minor clarification.

Korra is not from an anime. Sure it may LOOK like an anime and have anime-inspired elements, but The Legend of Korra is a Western-made cartoon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Yeah, just a minor clarification.

Korra is not from an anime. Sure it may LOOK like an anime and have anime-inspired elements, but The Legend of Korra is a Western-made cartoon.
    PBS Idea Channel talked about this recently.
    http://youtu.be/CRfv5a9QFu8

BANNED

MARVEL

What's her new on going like? Is it any good?

Her new ongoing is sensational. Its funny, its exciting, its funny, its well illustrated, and its funny.

Carol Corps: What is the predecessor to DeConnick's series? I'm interested in reading what came just before her run, please and thank you.