Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post

Roger Stern's Avengers run (Did I just hear someone on this thread say he was fired? How could Marvel??)
    Long story short, Marvel, spearheaded by Avengers editor Mark Gruenwald, who was then writing the Captain America book, wanted Cap back as the Avengers head-honcho. To do so, recently elected leader Captain Marvel, a character created by Stern and whom he had been building up right from the beggining, had to be shown to be a crappy leader, so that the greatest Avengers leader ever would be forced to step in. Stern still had many plans for Monica and felt that this direction would not be true to the character, so he refused to do it and was let go. Gruenwald then brought in Walt Simonson to do the demoting of Captain Marvel, and, honestly, I think he did a decent job in not ruining too much the character while doing it. Simonson also left a few issues later due to editorial interfearence (basically, they went back on letting him use Reed and Sue Richards on his new team shortly after he already had set thing in motion to introduce them).

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I also loved Slott's Mighty. The only Avengers for me during Bendis' unberably boring reign.

Peace
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    Hickman's Secret Warriors was criminally underrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    This series gets short changed left and right.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    Geoff Johns' run on Avengers was great! It had an old school feel to it, while at the same time setting up so many different plotlines for future use.

DnA's Nova and Annihilation. They should be constantly appreciated for setting up the Guardians of the Galaxy, and any other Marvel cosmic storylines from here forward.

Robert Kirkman's Captain America. I found it somewhat campy, but you could tell that he loved the character and the universe he lived in.
    Who's DnA?

(Google confuses it with "DNA").

The former writing team of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning were called DnA. They still write, but they don't collaborate anymore. Abnett is currently writing Guardians 3000, a book that's not getting enough love. He's also writing Korvac Saga during Secret Wars.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 04-18-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    The former writing team of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning were called DnA.
    Thanks! I didn't know that.

They still write, but they don't collaborate anymore. Abnett is currently writing Guardians 3000, a book that's not getting enough love. He's also writing Korvac Saga during Secret Wars.
    I'd add that one to the list of underrated story runs.

Quote Originally Posted by SidheKnight View Post
    Thanks! I didn't know that.

I'd add that one to the list of underrated story runs.
    You're very welcome. I do think that G3K will go down as an underrated book. It's the best Space book Marvel's got these days. It's challenging, engaging Sci-fi, not the goofy stuff they've been doing lately. Nothing's wrong with goofy, but sometimes you want more meat.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Long story short, Marvel, spearheaded by Avengers editor Mark Gruenwald, who was then writing the Captain America book, wanted Cap back as the Avengers head-honcho. To do so, recently elected leader Captain Marvel, a character created by Stern and whom he had been building up right from the beggining, had to be shown to be a crappy leader, so that the greatest Avengers leader ever would be forced to step in. Stern still had many plans for Monica and felt that this direction would not be true to the character, so he refused to do it and was let go. Gruenwald then brought in Walt Simonson to do the demoting of Captain Marvel, and, honestly, I think he did a decent job in not ruining too much the character while doing it. Simonson also left a few issues later due to editorial interference (basically, they went back on letting him use Reed and Sue Richards on his new team shortly after he already had set thing in motion to introduce them).

Peace
    I think this last part refers to the Englehart era on the Fantastic Four. Reed and Sue were on Englehart's Avengers for a couple of issues and then were editorially sent back again not long after. Ben was leading the team in the meantime.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Warren Ellis's Excalibur, along with his Pryde and Wisdom. Although you do have to take a break from the previous iterations and start fresh, because it really is it's own thing.

Peter David's first X-Factor run. I'm rereading it at the moment after a gap of ages, and it's very funny and fresh, and so damned entertaining.

Kathryn Immonen's Journey into Mystery run. I'm still cross that this didn't go for longer. Well written, and Valerio Schiti's art with Jordie Bellaire's colouring was extraordinary. Also her Hellcat mini.

Paul Cornell's Captain Britain and MI 13. A really fine team book. It's dramatic, entertaining, has good characterisations, respects continuity, and is funny as well.

Thor the Mighty Avenger by Roger Langridge and pencilled by Chris Samnee. An alt. universe Thor and Jane story that was completely charming.
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 04-19-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    "Self has no time for this."

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane by Sean McKeever and Takeshi Miyazawa/David Hahn. A perfect example of how a romance comic could still be pulled off. I personally prefer this series's portrayal of romantic drama to what usually goes on in your average Spider-Man issue.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Warren Ellis's Excalibur, along with his Pryde and Wisdom. Although you do have to take a break from the previous iterations and start fresh, because it really is it's own thing.
    It's an abrupt shift from the Lobdell version, but well... they needed one.

His Starjammers mini from the same era is sublime and I guess never getting a trade. Pretty to look at, great passion, and it shows off Warren's love for science-piracy in a big, aggressive, freebootin' romance.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post

His Starjammers mini from the same era is sublime and I guess never getting a trade. Pretty to look at, great passion, and it shows off Warren's love for science-piracy in a big, aggressive, freebootin' romance.
    Didn't know he wrote a Starjammers mini, but I suspect I'd love it. I'll have to see if I can beg, borrow or steal it.
    "Self has no time for this."

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post

Art by Carlos Pacheco. It introduced an alien race called the uncreated, that, I think, was not much used afterwards.

Peace

Bill Mantlo's Hulk stuff. Great, great stuff, and he was the writer who effectively did away with the classic 'Hulk Smash!' version. Currently re-reading it,
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Recent run of Elektra-Blackman Del Mundo
    Dan Slott - Thing
    Dan Jurgens - Thor
    Fred Van Fleet - Taskmaster(Mini)
    Ellis - Thunderbolts
    Jenkins - Hulk