Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Default Underrated runs/stories

What are the most underrated comics from Marvel in your opinion? I personally still think that the original Heroes for Hire run is severely underrated.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Fabian's Thunderbolts run up to the end (included the best Civil War tie-ins)

And I will say it: Lobdell's X-men work

Everything written by Steve Gerber.

Everything by Jack Kirby in the 70s for Marvel.

Spider-Man's Tangled Web. The best Spidey comic in ages and no one gives a damn.

More comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    I'll never forgive Brubaker for destroying all the good work Nicieza did with Zemo.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post

Everything by Jack Kirby in the 70s for Marvel.

Spider-Man's Tangled Web. The best Spidey comic in ages and no one gives a damn.
    Yes. Tangled Web was indeed great even though some of the stories were so-so.
    BB

I always thought Gruenwalds Squadron Supreme was underrated. It's well received, but I think it should be right up there with Watchmen and Kingdom Come personally.

I also always thought House of M was a bit underrated.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I always thought Gruenwalds Squadron Supreme was underrated. It's well received, but I think it should be right up there with Watchmen and Kingdom Come personally.

I also always thought House of M was a bit underrated.
    Squadron Supreme is great!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post

And I will say it: Lobdell's X-men work
    I always thought Nicieza was underrated. His Cable&Deadpool and his Thunderbolts were both pretty good and his New Mutants and X-Force issues were actually pretty good if you can look through the Liefeld art
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Agreed. I'll never forget the utter shock I felt when Nighthawk died. It was so sudden and unexpected, that just didn't happen to superheroes.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Aaron's PunisherMAX run, I reckon it gets overlooked because it follows Ennis' godly run.
    Last edited by Shinglepants; 12-07-2014 at 12:36 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Remender's PunisherMAX run, I reckon it gets overlooked because it follows Ennis' godly run.
    You mean Aaron's run? If so then I agree. There's also Cable & Deadpool, New Mutants Vol. 3, X-Statix, Cable Vol. 2, Inhumans by Jenkins/Lee, Dazzler Vol. 1, The Punisher(current book).
    Last edited by sprior93; 12-06-2014 at 03:20 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post

I'll never forgive Brubaker for destroying all the good work Nicieza did with Zemo.
    You and me both mate, you and me both.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Jim McCann's Reunion/Hawkeye & Mockingbird are overshadowed by Fraction's stuff, but he really got Clint and Bobbi.

Not sure if it's as underrated as I think, but Bendis run on Daredevil. I mostly hear hate for his writing (mostly well deserved) but this run was one of my favorites of any writer in any book
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

Astonishing Member

The Walt Simonson, John Byrne, and Larry Hama run on Avengers. After Stern was fired, they were one after the other until Harras began his run. There were a lot of solid stories there but they don't get much mention.

Karl Kesel's run on Daredevil was a fun change of pace. Waid's run is very reminiscent of it.

Tom Defalco's run of Hawkeye stories in Solo Avengers were entertaining. It helped fill in his character outside the melodrama of the West Coast Avengers title.

Joe Casey's run on the Hulk came right after the end of Peter David's run, but he managed to remain respectful of what came before.

On Iron Man Len Kaminski was very underrated. He redefined Tony Stark for the 90's and established Jim Rhodes as a full time superhero instead of just filling in for Tony.
    The Knouf run made Tony much more sympathetic before, during, and after Civil War. It makes his character much more reasonable compared to his appearances in Frontline and Amazing Spider-Man.

I liked Dan Abnett's run on New Mutants I liked how he kept the team moving forward, integrating new members while acting as a cleanup crew and investigators.

For Silver Surfer, Steve Englehart did a fantastic job, taking the Surfer off Earth and doing cosmic stories. Any fan of the Abnett/Lanning Nova and Guardians stories should try these.

Tom Defalco's first run on Amazing Spider-Man came right after Stern's legendary run so it gets overshadowed. But Defalco did an excellent job furthering the Hobgoblin story, introducing Silver Sable and the Sinister Syndicate. It's a great run that doesn't get it's due.

Matt Fraction brought me back to the X-Men for the first time since the Age of Apocalypse. I enjoyed the focus on Cyclops and how the pressure to preserve the Mutant race developed him as a character. For the first time since I began reading comics in the early 80's, he was an interesting character.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    The Knouf run made Tony much more sympathetic before, during, and after Civil War. It makes his character much more reasonable compared to his appearances in Frontline and Amazing Spider-Man.
    The Knouf run is amazing. That final battle with the Mandarin is one of the most brutal superhero fights I've ever seen. Anybody who doesn't think the Mandarin could be a top tier villain needs to read this.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I think the first 12 issues of Luke Cage Cage comic series was pretty good.

I also think The Punisher's Final Days was good until the part he escaped prison and got plastic surgery to look like a black guy.