Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch by Night View Post
    The Knouf run is amazing. That final battle with the Mandarin is one of the most brutal superhero fights I've ever seen. Anybody who doesn't think the Mandarin could be a top tier villain needs to read this.
    Definitely underrated. Wedged before Fraction's IM and set prior to/after the Civil War events made it difficult for the Knaufs to make a mark. But it was awesome. As you said, Mandarin was so boss.

Also, Dwayne Schwy... his run on Cable was really strong, too.
    Last edited by xMatt; 12-08-2014 at 02:18 AM.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

90s Heroes for Hire by Ostrander
    Cable and Deadpool by Fabian

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Nightcrawler is my favorite x-men. Draco was an abomination.

Never cared for Nightcrawler, so him being an actual devil didn't bother me any, thought it was pretty cool actually.

Now if he made Wolverine's father an actual wolverine and Angel's father an actual angel yeah I'd be furious.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

- Pretty much any Cable comic. Particularly Casey, Tischmann, amd Swiercynski. The last one did a freakishly good job at staying relevant and entertaining despite living its entire life as a tie-in.

- Omega the Unknown, Lethem and Dalrymple, is my favorite mini-series ever. Sorry, but I won't bother checking out the Gerber version.

- the Knaufs on Iron Man did an amazing job of making Iron Man realistic without taking away that big budget Marvel action feel. It was a very intelligent book and I think it was just as good as Cap was at the time, but thankfully ended on a high note.

- basically anything by Charlie Huston, Jeff Parker, or Joe Casey. Between them there's all that Hulk stuff, Deathlok, Best There Is, Avengers Origin + Enter the Mandarin, Vengeance, and Ages of the Sentry.

Rick Remender's Doctor Voodoo
    Hopeless's Avengers Arena and Avengers Undercover
    Bendis's Guardians of the Galaxy
    Gerry Duggan's Nova
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Dr. Strange by JM Dematteis and Mark Buckingham in the 90's. Highly underrated and cancelled just as they were really getting going.
    Agents of Atlas by Jeff Parker.
    Abnett and Lanning's Guardians of the Galaxy. So much better than the awful series MArvel is currently putting out.
    Captain Britain and MI:13 by Paul Cornell
    Karl Kesel's Daredevil
    Dr. Zero and St. George from the Shadowline imprint

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    What are the most underrated comics from Marvel in your opinion? I personally still think that the original Heroes for Hire run is severely underrated.
    There are so many, but, quite frankly, for me, the thread could have been closed right there. Ostrander and Ferry's Heroes for Hire is, IMHO, one of the best thing Marvel has EVER published, and, unfortunately, one of the most underrated.
    However, I guess there are plenty of others I could mention.

Gruenwalds Squadron Supreme
    Walt Simonson's Avengers
    Harras and Epting's Avengers
    Karl Kesel and Cary Nord's Daredevil
    Roy Thomas and David Ross' West Coast Avengers
    Len Kaminski's Iron Man
    Abnett/Lanning's Force Works (yes, I actually liked that. A lot. But I'll admit there was a lot of unexplored potential, a a lot of room for improvement)
    Their Nova and Guardians also deserve a more of recognitions than it gets, especially comparing to the garbage now being published and getting a lot of undeserved attention.
    Tom Defalco and Ron Frenz's A-Next.
    Tom Defalco and Paul Ryan's Fantastic Four
    Fabian Nicieza's Nomad
    Nicieza- Bagly and Robertson's New Warriors also, IMHO, doesn't get enough recognition for how truely amazing it was. I also liked the guy that followed Fabe's run (don't remember his name) with art by Patrick Zircher. A lot of editorial interfearence bogged down a bit the series, but, IMHO, it was good.
    The 90's Michael Collins Deathlok series (though I was not a fan of the art).

Others may eventually come to mind.

Peace

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    There are so many, but, quite frankly, for me, the thread could have been closed right there. Ostrander and Ferry's Heroes for Hire is, IMHO, one of the best thing Marvel has EVER published, and, unfortunately, one of the most underrated.
    However, I guess there are plenty of others I could mention.

Gruenwalds Squadron Supreme
    Walt Simonson's Avengers
    Harras and Epting's Avengers
    Karl Kesel and Cary Nord's Daredevil
    Roy Thomas and David Ross' West Coast Avengers
    Len Kaminski's Iron Man
    Abnett/Lanning's Force Works (yes, I actually liked that. A lot. But I'll admit there was a lot of unexplored potential, a a lot of room for improvement)
    Their Nova and Guardians also deserve a more of recognitions than it gets, especially comparing to the garbage now being published and getting a lot of undeserved attention.
    Tom Defalco and Ron Frenz's A-Next.
    Tom Defalco and Paul Ryan's Fantastic Four
    Fabian Nicieza's Nomad
    Nicieza- Bagly and Robertson's New Warriors also, IMHO, doesn't get enough recognition for how truely amazing it was. I also liked the guy that followed Fabe's run (don't remember his name) with art by Patrick Zircher. A lot of editorial interfearence bogged down a bit the series, but, IMHO, it was good.
    The 90's Michael Collins Deathlok series (though I was not a fan of the art).

Others may eventually come to mind.

Peace
    I fear almost evrything by Ostrander is underrated.
    His Spectre is one of the best Dc runs ever but a lot of people never even heard about it.
    His Hawkworld/Hawkman is the best Hawkman run ever but is always overshadowed by Johns' run.
    Almost nobody even remembers he wrote a great 40+ issue run of Firestorm.
    And not to mention his independent works like Grimjack.

I never understood why Heroes for Hire never reached popularity and I hope Marvel will at least acknowledge the quality by reprinting it.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    90s Heroes for Hire by Ostrander
    Such an outstanding series! I also think the Quicksilver series from the same time frame is underrated.

Also underrated, and needlessly maligned: Defalco's FF and the Harras Avengers.

Jim McCann's New Avengers: The Reunion and Hawkeye & Mockingbird were fantastic, probably some of the best writing for those characters.

Spider-Woman:Agent of SWORD was great, although it doesn't seem to be talked about much.

SWORD, by Gillen was great, and I'm still disappointed that it didn't go on longer.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I fear almost evrything by Ostrander is underrated.
    His Spectre is one of the best Dc runs ever but a lot of people never even heard about it.
    His Hawkworld/Hawkman is the best Hawkman run ever but is always overshadowed by Johns' run.
    Almost nobody even remembers he wrote a great 40+ issue run of Firestorm.
    And not to mention his independent works like Grimjack.

I never understood why Heroes for Hire never reached popularity and I hope Marvel will at least acknowledge the quality by reprinting it.
    I couldn't agree more. Ostrander is definitely among my top three favorite writers ever. Everything he does, even when I normally can't stand the character, as was the case with Firestorm and the Spectre, is outstanding. My personal favorites are, of course, Suicide Squad, Martian Manhunter (now being collected by DC. Yay! Spectre too) and JLA Incarnations, IMHO, a perfect companion book for Waid and Kitson's also superb JLA Year One.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevets View Post
    Such an outstanding series! I also think the Quicksilver series from the same time frame is underrated.

Also underrated, and needlessly maligned: Defalco's FF and the Harras Avengers.
    Well, you are probably going to be a very happy camper by the end of March 2015. I know I am.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Ostrander is definitely among my top three favorite writers ever. Everything he does, even when I normally can't stand the character, as was the case with Firestorm and the Spectre, is outstanding. My personal favorites are, of course, Suicide Squad, Martian Manhunter (now being collected by DC. Yay! Spectre too) and JLA Incarnations, IMHO, a perfect companion book for Waid and Kitson's also superb JLA Year One.

Well, you are probably going to be a very happy camper by the end of March 2015. I know I am.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Peace
    I haven't read JLA Incarnations yet but, like Star Wars Legacy by Ostrander, I'm planning to. My top 3 from him would be Spectre, Hawkworld, Suicide Squad. But I like almost everything from him. He's definitely in my top 5 favorite writers (and the absolute number 1 most underrated writer)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Extraordinary Member

The last few issues of William's Daken were wonderful and offered a great look at what death means in the MU. The rest of the run is average, but the last two or three issues are some of the best I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Dr. Strange by JM Dematteis and Mark Buckingham in the 90's. Highly underrated and cancelled just as they were really getting going.
    Agents of Atlas by Jeff Parker.
    Abnett and Lanning's Guardians of the Galaxy. So much better than the awful series MArvel is currently putting out.
    Captain Britain and MI:13 by Paul Cornell
    Karl Kesel's Daredevil
    Dr. Zero and St. George from the Shadowline imprint
    How many issues of Dr Strange did DeMatteis write? If I remember correctly he only wrote an OGN and about 5 issues but I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by GallowGlass View Post
    Wow, I think you're first person I've seen on here that has anything positive to say about Austen.

I prefer Chuck Austen 's writing to Garth Ennis'.