View Poll Results: fans of any of these?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • ALIEN 3

24 19.35%
  • ALIEN RESSURECTION

17 13.71%
  • JASON GOES TO HELL

11 8.87%
  • INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL

23 18.55%
  • TERMINATOR 3 RISE OF THE MACHINES

24 19.35%
  • TERMINATOR SALVATION

26 20.97%
  • STAR TREK THE VOYAGE HOME

28 22.58%
  • STAR TREK NEMESIS

14 11.29%
  • STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

40 32.26%
  • THOR THE DARK WORLD

52 41.94%
  • A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2 FREDDY'S REVENGE

15 12.10%
  • THE GODFATHER 3

15 12.10%
  • MOONRAKER

22 17.74%
  • QUANTUM OF SOLACE

26 20.97%
  • THE MATRIX 2 & 3

26 20.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

My problem with Alien 3 is that it starts out making all that Ripley did in Alien 2 pointless.

It wasn't badly made, it wouldn't be with Fincher at the helm, it just wasn't what I wanted to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    So far as the Star Trek films are concerned, Nemesis is generally regarded as a bit of a turkey, but The Voyage Home has classic status (in the context of the admittedly not very high standard of the Trek movie franchise anyway) and Into Darkness was well received. Personally, I thought Into Darkness an absurd and occasionally dull retread of Wrath of Khan, with zero emotional connection. But hey, the critics didn't agree.
    Yeah. The list is odd in that it has a couple movies that scored fresh on the Tomatometer, for sure, so "bad sequel" is a matter of perspective. I wasn't much of a fan of Into Darkness either, thinking it was mediocre, but that doesn't mean everyone else dislikes it. And that only means that a majority of critics liked it, not that they raved about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Yeah. The list is odd in that it has a couple movies that scored fresh on the Tomatometer, for sure, so "bad sequel" is a matter of perspective. I wasn't much of a fan of Into Darkness either, thinking it was mediocre, but that doesn't mean everyone else dislikes it. And that only means that a majority of critics liked it, not that they raved about it.
    I'd say it's ALWAYS a matter of prespective. Not Batman & Robin, Birth of a Nation, or The Book Thief would all be bad, or good.

Successful, important, memorable? Yes. But, nothing in the universe of entertainment if factually good or bad, but perspective wise, or opinion, yes.

No matter what site, or credentials.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    My problem with Alien 3 is that it starts out making all that Ripley did in Alien 2 pointless.

It wasn't badly made, it wouldn't be with Fincher at the helm, it just wasn't what I wanted to see.
    Those characters being killed off was a good thing, it's dumb enough that Alien had to keep being about Ripley running into Aliens, it would have been worse if it was the further adventures of Ripley and family running into the aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    I'd say it's ALWAYS a matter of prespective. Not Batman & Robin, Birth of a Nation, or The Book Thief would all be bad, or good.

Successful, important, memorable? Yes. But, nothing in the universe of entertainment if factually good or bad, but perspective wise, or opinion, yes.

No matter what site, or credentials.
    Not necessarily. A film could still be polished and have a major budget and still fail the basic components of the craft. Acting and writing could still fail on multiple levels. And it could very much account for factual bad rather than opinionated bad (remember: opinion =/= fact and vice versa). On the same token, a film could have a shoestring budget and almost no resources and yet emerge as a classic because it was not only done well, but completed with great expertise. And then there's the various ways which people judge as good or bad, but that still requires some common agreement as to what those standards are -- everyone agrees that Plan 9 or The Room are horrible movies because of factors that everyone can recognize; but that population also includes people who love it because it's so bad; that love requires them to acknowledge how badly it was made, because then that love is recognition.

As for the point of Rotten Tomatoes: it's an aggregator site. It only taps onto consensus and then evaluates what what the reviewers most commonly cite as what they like/dislike, but by nature of an aggregator it never gets into minutae or deep analysis -- this is why they provide links to the reviewers that they gather, if you want more nuance or critical analysis into why they voted the way each reviewer did. So it only counts the sum of individual analysis, not really the argument behind them -- this is why a movie can gain 100% approval on the cite but still be considered merely above-average by most, and definitely far from best movie of the year. It only counts how many people liked it, not how *much* they liked it, which is a key difference.

So with that said, a majority of critics liked Into Darkness, but upon combing through the site, you'd be hard-pressed to find a reviewer who *raves* about it as intensely as other Trek movies. And that would apply to a few other films in the poll as well.
    Last edited by Cyke; 12-10-2014 at 10:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I went with Terminator: Salvation and Star Trek Into Darkness.

Terminator Salvation is by no means a good movie, but it's a hell of a lot better than Terminator 3: Rise of the Machine. UGH!
    I'll agree T3 was a load of garbage, but I heard about this deleted scene on a podcast and it's better than anything to come out since T2 (well worth the 2 minutes for "Sgt. Candy"):

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Predator 2? I don't know anybody that really likes the film and whilst it obviously isn't as good as the first I still really enjoy it.

On the poll I voted Terminator Salvation, Alien Resurrection and the Matrix sequels.
    That's odd, I can only speak anecdotally but everyone I discuss those movies with prefers the second to the first. I think the first is far superior, both from a movie standpoint and the ridiculous amount of testosterone sloshing around. Not to mention quoteworthy. The only thing going for the 2nd is the extra weapons and the scene on the ship at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I'll agree T3 was a load of garbage, but I heard about this deleted scene on a podcast and it's better than anything to come out since T2 (well worth the 2 minutes for "Sgt. Candy"):
    That is great!

That's odd, I can only speak anecdotally but everyone I discuss those movies with prefers the second to the first. I think the first is far superior, both from a movie standpoint and the ridiculous amount of testosterone sloshing around. Not to mention quoteworthy. The only thing going for the 2nd is the extra weapons and the scene on the ship at the end.
    I don't know anyone who thinks P2 is better. I agree about the ship at the end.

I don't know why but I enjoyed Alien Resurrection. It wasn't classic Alien flick by any means by I liked the whole atmosphere created by that french director. I loved that whole clonage/alien baby creature thing. It was genre crazy.

It was like that odd little red-head step-child in the franchise.
    Last edited by Da Boat; 12-12-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

OMG LMAO that is Priceless!!! XD

Really T3, Why in the World did they Cut that Part out?! So Much of the Video, not only the ending, filled in a-bunch of needed holes from the last movie like where the military got Skynet and the fact that Sgt. Candy was the model for the Terminators is a nice Irony add on and the Accent comes from someone else, clever.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    I don't know why but I enjoyed Alien Resurrection. It wasn't classic Alien flick by any means by I liked the whole atmosphere created by that french director. I loved that whole clonage/alien baby creature thing. It was genre crazy.

It was like that odd little red-head step-child in the franchise.
    Jean-Pierre Jeunet certainly made an interesting looking Alien movie, and he cast the movie with a interesting bunch of actors. The Alien viper pit looks cool, the clone room is a memorable set piece, and the alien clone hybrid look good.

I dug Terminator Salvation and Thor. Thor felt like a cartoon and Salvation had too much hype. It was a road movie with plot holes but fun.
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

Amazing Member

matrix 2
    nightmare on elm street 2
    and.. 22 jump street :P

Ultimate Member

Thor: The Dark World wasn't a bad movie. it was just disappointing.
    Godfather 3 was a very good movie. Just not as good as the two previous ones which were great.
    If you watch Alien 3 before Aliens, you would find that Alien 3 is actually a great movie. Alien Resurrection was a good movie but somewhat distasteful.
    The Matrix sequels were boring.