Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Whedon's WW script leaked

...is finally online. Google and find it on reddit, among other sites

(not sure if this is old news but I just found out am reading it today)
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

BANNED

it made some time that leaked found it months ago.
    yeah already read part of it. Seems to be really from Wheson, there is some whedonisms in it;

Incredible Member

Here's a link: Wonder Woman by Joss Whedon

Or here: Script PDF
    Last edited by Frank; 12-07-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Reminds me, in places, of the WONDER WOMAN animated film from 2009.

I liked parts of it. Having Wonder Woman be "wrong" about humanity was a tough pill to swallow. As was the accompanying mansplaining from Steve. Also not a big fan of her Lynda-Carter-esque power levels.

But I liked parts of it. I liked Diana's spunky attitude.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Reminds me, in places, of the WONDER WOMAN animated film from 2009.

I liked parts of it. Having Wonder Woman be "wrong" about humanity was a tough pill to swallow. As was the accompanying mansplaining from Steve. Also not a big fan of her Lynda-Carter-esque power levels.

But I liked parts of it. I liked Diana's spunky attitude.
    At some point I probably will read it, but just curious, how was WW wrong about humanity?

So I read it. Was grateful for the opportunity because I'd been curious for sooooooooooo long.

I remember Whedon saying Diana got shot with a bullet point blank and passed out but survived, and then started using her bracelets to deflect artillery to avoid the pain. That scene was included and very well done, I'd say.

I also recall Whedon saying there was a very specific reason WW had an invisible jet and I was underwhelmed with that part of the script. Meh.

The story was not great, just okay, interspersed with some quite wonderful (pun intended) moments. What I missed most was an epic feel to the story, it just wasn't grand enough in scope to satisfy. Felt more like a TV movie than a blockbuster film, IMO.

That said, the beginning was excellent, especially the battle between Diana and Hippolyta that substituted for the full-scale Contest. But I also cringed a few times, especially when much later Steve Trevor accidentally sat on the lasso and admitted he wanted to see Diana naked. Then again, Whedon can often pull off hokey scenarios that lesser writer/directors would never get away with. Oh, and I really missed Steve not having current ties to the military or at least some Gov agency. He seemed kinda weak, actually. A very cool bullets & bracelets bit happened midway through with bad guys circling Diana and shooting at her all at once and she basically became a whirling dervish and deflected every single shell. As for Greek mythology and gods, they were there, but I wasn't convinced this was the best portrayal. Def prefer Azz's take on the gods.

I'm sure it was an early draft and would've improved. I can also see why Warner passed on his concept. He got $7 million(!) for the effort, so he cannot be too sad. My gut tells me the WW film they're working on now with MacLaren will be far superior. Just a hunch.
    Last edited by Top Carnivore; 12-07-2014 at 07:21 PM.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Spectacular Member

For those that read it can she fly by her own power in this script? It was one of the disappointments for me in the animated film they left out, so I'm hoping Gal Gadot WW can.

Also does it show any of her ability to understand/communicate with animals? It's another thing I like about WW as that isn't a common ability amongst superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Farron View Post
    For those that read it can she fly by her own power in this script? It was one of the disappointments for me in the animated film they left out, so I'm hoping Gal Gadot WW can.

Also does it show any of her ability to understand/communicate with animals? It's another thing I like about WW as that isn't a common ability amongst superheroes.
    She had the invisible jet and controlled the wheel while laying on her stomach...which gave the impression if you saw her in the jet, it'd look like she was flying by her own power like Superman. I would've had to see the finished result in CGI to judge. At the very end, she talks about learning to glide on air currents herself, which seemed odd because why wouldn't she have thought to do that while growing up on Paradise Island?

She def had an affinity with animals. Not overtly communicating with them but between the lines you could tell.

Mighty Member

Thanks for finding it!

I'v only eyed through, but from the little of it I'v read it seems like a fun take on the character.

I especially liked Hippolyta saying "That's my girl." about Diana.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Carnivore View Post
    She had the invisible jet and controlled the wheel while laying on her stomach...which gave the impression if you saw her in the jet, it'd look like she was flying by her own power like Superman. I would've had to see the finished result in CGI to judge. At the very end, she talks about learning to glide on air currents herself, which seemed odd because why wouldn't she have thought to do that while growing up on Paradise Island?

She def had an affinity with animals. Not overtly communicating with them but between the lines you could tell.
    Thanks for that. Was quite an extensive script so I was unable to quickly gloss over it. Will have a further look at it when I have more time.

Interesting they had the invisible jet. I tend to wonder why bother with that when it should be easier for her to fly by her own power.

Glad they kept in her affinity with animals though and made use of the lasso of truth.

Now I'm even more saddened that we never got a chance to see this movie.

Maybe it was for the best in that this led Whedon to direct Avengers. But I would've loved to see this in live action. It would've been a complement to the Batman movies and it would've added some badly needed diversity to superhero films. I think this hit all the right notes without getting too Nolan-esque. The mother/daughter dynamic would've made for an emotional story that we don't see that often in superhero movies. Maybe we'll get that with the upcoming Wonder Woman movie, but even if it's good, I'll still be wondering what might have been.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

It already has strikes against it for the ww2 setting, made up villain, lame power levels, out of character Diana, and not resembling Post-Crisis continuity

She had the invisible jet and controlled the wheel while laying on her stomach...which gave the impression if you saw her in the jet, it'd look like she was flying by her own power like Superman.
    LOL, that sounds awful.

The story was not great, just okay, interspersed with some quite wonderful (pun intended) moments. What I missed most was an epic feel to the story, it just wasn't grand enough in scope to satisfy. Felt more like a TV movie than a blockbuster film, IMO.
    I agree with this. It wasn't a horrible script, but it did seem rather "small" in scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonter Voman View Post
    LOL, that sounds awful.
    It did seem silly, but again, who knows if Whedon coulda made it kewl? All in all, I'm glad this didn't get made. I'm thinking Warner is playing hardball (finally!) in the CBM market and so I'm expecting an epic WW film from MacLaren in 2017.

WW will be the second solo movie in the DC verse and the only solo until 2018. WW will also be responsible for maintaining and amping momentum for JL1. A lot is riding on WW, the studio knows it, so they won't cut corners anywhere. Yay!