View Poll Results: Should she fight global warming?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 73.68%
  • No

5 26.32%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    What if she was stopping the construction if Sentinel factors that would be polluting areas with high levels of biodiversity?
    What if she what?
    What is a Sentinel factor? Don't X-Men generally stop Sentinel anythings anyway? It'd be just a normal X-Men story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    As mankind continues to burn forests and fossil fuels, carbon continues heating up the atmosphere.
    With Storm's connection to the Earth, she should be feeling the environmental problems of this. Should the fight to save the planet be a major theme in her book?
    in the MU, Global warming could be fixed with a word to folks like Reed Richads, Franlin Richards, Hank Pym, Tony Stark or many others. Making a comic out of what would in the MU be a trivial problem probably is not a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No.
    Not unles it's going to be a book mostly about global politics and corporate intrigue. You can't beat up climate change or fake it by making a supervillain responsible.
    In the mU you have people that can just make the excess carbon in the atmosphere vanish

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    In the mU you have people that can just make the excess carbon in the atmosphere vanish
    Well, yes. But that would not really be a story about fighting climate change, now would it? It would just be some dumb story about a mutant pulling a power stunt, that probably won't ever be referenced again because Marvel wants its universe to somewhat resemble ours, which means no magical fixes to real-world problems.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

What if she what?
    What is a Sentinel factor? Don't X-Men generally stop Sentinel anythings anyway? It'd be just a normal X-Men story.
    Sorry, I meant to type Sentinel factory. But anyways, yes mutants versus Sentinels is a typical X-Men story; however, adding another motive (an environmental one in this case) would add something to the story instead of just retreading the same messages.

in the MU, Global warming could be fixed with a word to folks like Reed Richads, Franlin Richards, Hank Pym, Tony Stark or many others. Making a comic out of what would in the MU be a trivial problem probably is not a good idea
    Pretty much this. I mean so many characters in the MU already can easily fix this. If anything, Storm should focus more on disater relief.

BANNED

If Storm wanted to fix global warming, of course she could fix the atmosphere. Problem is, that's not fixing the problem at its source. She' have to do something about the polluting companies, otherwise, they'd just dirty up the atmosphere all over again after she cleans it. It would become a never-ending cycle.

BANNED

So she can be Captain Planet? haha I kid I kid.

I think her venturing around solving Environmental problems would be amazing and there could be a lot of beautiful artwork done.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBlueElf View Post

I think her venturing around solving Environmental problems would be amazing and there could be a lot of beautiful artwork done.
    I could get on board with this. It could end up being a really interesting direction unique for her, if handled well.

Well, yes. But that would not really be a story about fighting climate change, now would it? It would just be some dumb story about a mutant pulling a power stunt, that probably won't ever be referenced again because Marvel wants its universe to somewhat resemble ours, which means no magical fixes to real-world problems.
    In the MU a person fight climate change would be just a story about someone working very hard to accomplish what for others would be a trivial task. In another Unibvvrse a climate change story would make sense in the MU it would just be massive PIS. There would be no reason outside of politics to write that story, and for the US market at least there is no way to write that story without stepping on a significant number of readers toes.

BANNED

In the MU a person fight climate change would be just a story about someone working very hard to accomplish what for others would be a trivial task. In another Unibvvrse a climate change story would make sense in the MU it would just be massive PIS. There would be no reason outside of politics to write that story, and for the US market at least there is no way to write that story without stepping on a significant number of readers toes.
    Massive PIS is pretty much unavoidable in the Marvel and DCU superheroverses.
    Every time Batman has a problem with the Joker or whatever lunatic, and Superman or the Flash don't zoom in and save the day it's massibve PIS for those characters, and for Batman for not grabbing his Bat-cellphone.

That's smly ho it is in these universes filled with benign, heroic, virtually omnipotent characters. You either accept PIS is going to happen in most stories or you quit superhero stories.

Massive PIS is pretty much unavoidable in the Marvel and DCU superheroverses.
    Every time Batman has a problem with the Joker or whatever lunatic, and Superman or the Flash don't zoom in and save the day it's massibve PIS for those characters, and for Batman for not grabbing his Bat-cellphone.

That's smly ho it is in these universes filled with benign, heroic, virtually omnipotent characters. You either accept PIS is going to happen in most stories or you quit superhero stories.
    but whysstart a story that requires huge PIS, even in story and that willn likely piss off some of your customers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    If anything, Storm should focus more on disater relief.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBlueElf View Post
    Combine these two and I can't think of a better focus for a Storm solo.
    Isn't this who Storm is? How could she ignore the plight of the planet and the people who are most hurt by climate change (poor, disenfranchised, indigenous and global minorities?)

Not to mention the very real evil that is at the core of our environmental crisis!

Bad guys a plenty and so many settings...I love the idea.
    Tons of possibility for meaningful guest spots, team-ups and cross-title connections...and we all know Marvel loves it when their superheros come into conflict...there's plenty of room for that with this concept too.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

That's a great idea! Not only would that give "Storm" a good plot-line but it would also be informal and educational to those in the world unaware of the threats of global warming.

BANNED

but whysstart a story that requires huge PIS, even in story and that willn likely piss off some of your customers?
    ALL superhero stories (well, a good 95% or so anyway) require massive PIS from characters not in the story.