Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Bee and Puppycat #1

WHY WE LOVE IT: Because Natasha Allegri is simply amazing. She built up a big fan-following on Tumblr while working on the Adventure Time cartoon, then created gender-swapped characters (Fionna and Cake) that became so popular they put them into the show. Then, she created BEE AND PUPPYCAT and it became the most funded web series project in Kickstarter history. How could we NOT publish it?

WHY YOU'LL LOVE IT: You might already love it if you're one of the thousands who supported the Kickstarter campaign, but for those of you just joining us, if you like stories that feature magical girls like SAILOR MOON, MADOKA MAGICA, and POWERPUFF GIRLS, you will enjoy BEE AND PUPPYCAT! It's a slice-of-life story with a twist, and it has so much comedy and enchantment you can't help but be swept up.

WHAT IT'S ABOUT: It's a quirky new take on the magical girl genre with Bee, the forever unemployed main character who can't seem to figure out life, and the mysterious PuppyCat, a stray...whatever it is...that she stumbled across who has a powerful secret. Fighting bad guys has never been so funny.

Full preview here.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Well, that was odd. Not bad odd, just a small slice of oddness. So Boom says if I like Sailor Moon and Powerpuff Girls, I wil enjoy this. I have seen lots and lots of those two shows and I am not sure there is a lot of common ground there. I watched both with my daughter when she was younger. Sailor Moon was sort of charming and strange but but also had a lot of inane, insipid drama. (however, in the American version where they make the gay sailors "cousins," that is hysterical) Powerpuff girls was genius.

But this was wierd enough so that I have to try it. I am on a big all ages comics kick.

Awwwwyissssss! This looks appropriately bonkers! I was worried the tone of the cartoon episode wouldn't translate well without the funny voices, but yup this looks great. Will jump on board the trade train once it rolls through town.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Well, that was odd. Not bad odd, just a small slice of oddness. So Boom says if I like Sailor Moon and Powerpuff Girls, I wil enjoy this. I have seen lots and lots of those two shows and I am not sure there is a lot of common ground there. I watched both with my daughter when she was younger. Sailor Moon was sort of charming and strange but but also had a lot of inane, insipid drama. (however, in the American version where they make the gay sailors "cousins," that is hysterical) Powerpuff girls was genius.

But this was wierd enough so that I have to try it. I am on a big all ages comics kick.
    You should watch the episode they made for this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOG_UtLxh58 It's pretty nutty. Natasha Allegri did the Adventure Time: Fionna & Cake mini-series a while ago, which is totes gorgeous and really cute.
    And yeah agreed the US dub for Sailor Moon is bananas. New series is starting soon, hopefully no 'cousins' this time!

I have extremely high hopes for this series.

The preview certainly doesn't disappoint... looks really fun and interesting.

So glad Boom added this to it's line-up and has allowed Natasha Allegri a chance to create and a chance to see where this series can go.

I absolutely love Bee and PuppyCat so count me in! I hope I can find that lovely variant by Becky Dreistadt.