Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Is Hickman's Avengers new reader friendly?

Hello all,

Was just wondering if the current Marvel Now Avengers stuff is digestible for a reader who hasn't picked up an Avengers book in forever. I know the broad strokes of the Marvel Universe, but if I don't intend to pick up any of the other Avengers books (or the big event books like Infinity) will I be lost reading Hickman's run?

Thanks!

BANNED

I'd say you would need more background, especially during Infinity. I was reading it all and found it confusing and VERY boring. Not to mention all the New Universe stuff that popped up before Infinity. I was bored to tears and had no clue who these people were.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Avengers by Hickman needs to be read at the same time as New avengers and if possible Avengers World too. It's not very easy. I'd rather recommend Busiek's Avengers run. What was the last avengers comic you've read?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

All-New Member

Ah, that's too bad. Do you have any recommendations for new Marvel Now books that feature the Avengers that are actually worth checking out?

And thanks for the quick reply!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Avengers by Hickman needs to be read at the same time as New avengers and if possible Avengers World too. It's not very easy. I'd rather recommend Busiek's Avengers run. What was the last avengers comic you've read?
    Oh boy, the last book I read was probably House of M related. Can't remember specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
    Ah, that's too bad. Do you have any recommendations for new Marvel Now books that feature the Avengers that are actually worth checking out?

And thanks for the quick reply!

Yes. Avengers and new avengers

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    Yes. Avengers and new avengers
    Haha, well that's one for and one against.

Guess I should swing by the comic shop and take a look at the books for myself.

Thanks a bunch!

Haha, well that's one for and one against.

Guess I should swing by the comic shop and take a look at the books for myself.

Thanks a bunch!
    I'm not going to sugar coat it. It's a lot to read. Lots of issues

But it's a huge epic

I'd say its pretty new reader friendly in terms of continuity since I was pretty much a newbie when I started reading it. The writting style is kinda out there and pretty dense so that might be a bit of a hurdle for you to overcome.

Extraordinary Member

Hickman's run is not new reader friendy at all.

Avengers world is slightly better but depends too much on the reader's knowledge of obscure
    Marvel characters.

I'd suggest either the first Avengers Academy trade or the first Secret Avengers trade instead.

Extraordinary Member

I would say it is new reader friendly in the sense that Hickman doesn't pay much attention to Avengers history or continuity - this probably requires you to know less Avengers history than any previous version of the franchise. And it also has mostly been independent of the other books in the Marvel universe at the time.

It is not the kind of story you can jump into in the middle and understand; you have to read the run from the beginnig to the end to get it. But it definitely isn't something you have to pick up a lot of other books to understand. If you like Hickman's science-fiction, slow-build approach, you don't have to know other Avengers runs going in.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I would say it is new reader friendly in the sense that Hickman doesn't pay much attention to Avengers history or continuity - this probably requires you to know less Avengers history than any previous version of the franchise. And it also has mostly been independent of the other books in the Marvel universe at the time.

It is not the kind of story you can jump into in the middle and understand; you have to read the run from the beginnig to the end to get it. But it definitely isn't something you have to pick up a lot of other books to understand. If you like Hickman's science-fiction, slow-build approach, you don't have to know other Avengers runs going in.
    Yeah, pretty much. It doesn't really need any history info except for what Hickman specifically gives you.

I just have no idea what the hell is going on.

Bro, it's not even old reader friendly.

BANNED

Hello all,

Was just wondering if the current Marvel Now Avengers stuff is digestible for a reader who hasn't picked up an Avengers book in forever. I know the broad strokes of the Marvel Universe, but if I don't intend to pick up any of the other Avengers books (or the big event books like Infinity) will I be lost reading Hickman's run?

Thanks!
    Ultimately, I guess it all depends on what types of genres you're into.

If you're open to tales with a strong science fiction based foundation, then you should check out Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers.

The New Avengers book has a much darker theme to it than the Avengers book but both complement each other rather nicely.

Complex storyline no doubt, but miles ahead of the usual cookie cutter stuff cluttering up the place.

Read the relevant TPB's out at present to get a feel.