Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What Do You Expect for the Bat Books this Time Next Year?

We know Convergence is coming up, and some report a further event in the summer. We also have rumors of shake-ups, new books, and re-launches. What changes do you expect for the Bat Books/Gotham Books (not the same but with huge overlap) by this time next year? My initial thoughts:

1) Arkham Manor feels like a mini masquerading as an ongoing. It will vanish or perhaps be re-tooled in a new direction. Duggan has gotten pretty good reviews so far, so he may continue on a re-tooled title or somewhere else.

2) Klarion never had much support outside of DC, or evidently even inside of it. It will be gone.

3) I expect a Red Robin ongoing, possibly with Spoiler and Bluebird in support roles. Tynion may well get that.

4) The successor to Eternal will be going strong.

5) I expect/hope that Gotham Academy,Catwoman, and Gotham by Midnight will be reasonable successes. I also think the new Batgirl will be fine.

6) Batman and Robin will likely be re-tooled in some way. Tomasi has, I would guess, a 50/50 chance of moving on.

7) Unless numbers improve, RHATO (not in the Bat Office but a Bat Book) will be re-launched, or else Jason Todd will be given a new direction. Lobdell would be gone in either case.

8) Batwoman should be gone by the numbers, but that may prove politically impossible.

9) Given that Didio tweeted out another message of strong support for Grayson on Friday, I don't think the new direction is going to get reversed, especially since Didio has November and December's direct sales numbers on his computer. Dick Grayson will receive a second ongoing of some kind, probably a team or group book. King will have quite a bit more work somewhere in DC and also outside of it. Seeley already writes five monthly equivalents, but I suppose he would pick up something else if the money was right and/or one of his projects failed.

10) Other new books, such as the one Silviestri is supposedly working on. A new Dark Knight, perhaps? I suspect they also want to do something with Batwing, and perhaps Talon.
    Last edited by Dzetoun; 12-07-2014 at 09:53 AM.

They should either relaunch or cancel Batwoman. That title has lost everything that made it special. It'd honestly probably be better to cancel it and let the character rest for a while so people can get excited whenever she inevitably returns.

I really hope the new Batgirl is here to stay.

The new Catwoman is high-quality but I don't see that as a long-term direction. I wouldn't be surprised to see Selina in a more traditional role in a year.

With DC supposedly easing up a bit on bizarre editorial restrictions, I bet there is either a Steph Brown or Cass Cain book, or both of them in a team book.

With Damian coming back I would be shocked if he does not headline his own book. I'm very surprised that hasn't happened yet...maybe they just wanted to wait till Morrison was out of the picture first so they could do whatever they want.

I think Grayson as a title is here to stay, but I would not be surprised to see the book retooled with Dick in a completely different role (but still not back as Nightwing).
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Incredible Member

Like you said, Arkham Manor and Klarion are probably going to be gone. Gotham Academy MIGHT stay... I have no idea. The only way I can see Arkham Manor surviving is if it's crucial for Batman Eternal Year Two.

I wouldn't be surprised if Red Robin got a book. That would be a place for Tim+Harper+Steph to go so they're not crammed into whatever Batman book they need to cameo in.

Batwoman might be relaunched. Pretty sure she's the only lesbian to have a title in the Big Two so DC will get shit on terribly if they cancel it and do nothing with her character.

Birds of Prey will most likely have a title out. I'd be very surprised if they didn't. By this time next year it would have been over a year without the title, and that is plenty of time for rest. They also just need their female team back, just with less editorial interference.

Catwoman... I have no idea. I personally would enjoy Selina staying as Queenpin and Eiko as a different Catwoman, with the current team (maybe a different artist tbh). Even if Selina becomes Catwoman again, I'd still like to see the current writer on it.

Grayson is probably here to stay. Didio likes it so even if sales absolutely tank he'll do anything he can to keep it afloat a few more issues.

Batgirl will probably stay the same too.

Also Snyder said straight up there is going to be a Year Two of Batman Eternal.

Batman, Detective Comics, and Batman and Robin will probably stay the same. B&R is practically Damian's title anyway, so there's really no need to for a Robin title.

RHATO is at the cancellation level and has been floating around there for a little while so it seems kinda stable so idk about that one.
    Last edited by M L A; 12-07-2014 at 10:30 AM.

BANNED

Out of the new Doyle books, I can see Gotham Academy and Gotham by Midnight sticking around. Not sure on Arkham Manor, as it might just get replaced with Silvestri's new Batman book.

I don't see a Red Robin solo. New 52 has kinda killed off a lot of Tim Drake's popularity, and I don't know if DC wants another street-level solo about a former Robin. I can see a Batfamily team-up book starring him, and showcasing the new generation (Harper, Duke, Steph).

Batgirl's a mainstay for sure. Catwoman with Valentine, I think, will stick around, I hope. The sales haven't been stellar, but as long as it doesn't completely tank, I think Valentine will be fine.

Batman and Robin will be around in one form or another. I don't know the story with Tomasi.

Batwoman is probably immune to cancellation. But it really needs a shakeup, after poor sales, bad reviews, and another controversy. Perhaps a rookie creative team with a fresh direction (like with Catwoman can reignite this title).

Grayson will be sticking around for sure. Strong sales and good reviews. I do think Dick might be featured in a team-up, either in a new Justice League book or a Bat family book.

RHATO ... who knows. It's in cancellation territory, and I don't see a Red Hood solo lasting long.

Extraordinary Member

I can only comment that I both think and hope there is some kind of 3rd generation Batman book, whether it feature Tim, Damian, Harper, Steph or Cass, or a combination of them.

It would just seem so weird and sad if DC wholly abandoned the "sidekick" expansion books that served as a main stay of the line and major character books for decades.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I can only comment that I both think and hope there is some kind of 3rd generation Batman book, whether it feature Tim, Damian, Harper, Steph or Cass, or a combination of them.
    I'm far from convinced that "Eternal 2" wont be exactly that. Dick and Barbara have their own serieses doing very well that directly address why They Aren't Around All The Time, and you can't front-and-centre Bruce in a Weekly that presents World Shaking Change at the same time as you're doing the same to him in any number of monthly books. So a weekly that foregrounds Tim, Harper, Steph, Duke (maybe?), Luke and possibly Calvin Rose with Damian as their Batman Go-Between would give them more freedom.

I don't expect anything for the bat books, as i don't read them, but what I'd LIKE to see is a more prominent role for Duke Thomas , AKA Lark.

I Would like to see more Grayson and have the death thing resolved, and maybe he will get a second monthly including stormwatch/Damien

BANNED

A Grayson/Robin book is my dream scenario, with Dick trying to mentor and control a super powered Damian.

I expect a Calling All Robins! book, with yup you guessed it, all the Robins, with occasional Dick as Nightwing.

I mean ALL the Robins. All 21 of them.

Extraordinary Member

I hoped for a birds of Prey 2.0 Cass, steph and Bluebird, Mabey carrie kelly as a new oracle

Hopeful Comic Creator thewiseguy's Avatar

After Batman Eternal and Arkham Manor, I think batman will wind up poor and on the run from the authorities for good, or at least for a long time...

Personally I like RHATO, its my first time reading any red hood comics (Didn't know about him til I saw Under the Red Hood) ... if it gets reissued lets hope it remains interesting.

New creative teams announced for Batman, Batman & Robin, Red Hood, Batman/Superman.

Batwoman cancelled, Kate Kane moved to a team or DCU book.

Batgirl, Academy, Catwoman, Midnight will all last the year.

Carrie Kelly is back in some shape or form. Talon remains fallen from face of the earth (thankfully), Luke Fox retires to work at Wayne Corp.

Blue Bird and Lark feature in Snyders final Batman arc then are quietly forgotten.

Batman/Superman - Scott Snyder and Marc Silvestri.

Genevieve Valentine and Tom King on further titles.

Batgirl/Academy/Damian Wayne crossover event.

Batman guest stars in Suicide Squad relaunch starring Jason Todd.

Dark Knight: Boy Wonder 1-6 announced for release.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    New creative teams announced for Batman, Batman & Robin, Red Hood, Batman/Superman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    7) Unless numbers improve, RHATO (not in the Bat Office but a Bat Book) will be re-launched, or else Jason Todd will be given a new direction. Lobdell would be gone in either case.
    Unless we got a top tier writer as Pak I rather have Jason shelved for the time being. Outside of Lobdell no one truly understand him as character (and let's not forget that was Tynion's bull what tanked RHATO's numbers). Eternal just made him a cheap Grayson stand in --while also pushing the Barbara/Jason couple. Seriously, who the hell thought that was a good idea?-- Tomasi's just your run of the mill though guy and Snyder just doesn't care about him.

You know what, just keep him the hell away from the bat offices.

Personally, I think the book will remain stable at worst, picking up some readership at best.

In the event something needs to be done about it though, probably they will move Roy and Kori from the book and giving him a new team.

BANNED

I expect a Red Robin solo ongoing, surprised it hadn't happened ages ago. But Teen Titans really IS a Red Robin book with some other interchangeable characters around, sort of like RHATO. Batwoman was created for the sole purpose of having a major Bat-character who's a lesbian, so she'll probably be safe if she sells maybe 10 books a year. Wonder Woman has never really had the sales to support her A-Lister status, but DC must continue to publish her or else they lose the copyright and the merchandising. I'd like to see a Red Hood solo book without dead weight Kory and Roy hanging around his neck, but if anything, he would be given another team. I expect Didio to leave Earth Prime Dick Grayson in exile while he snuffs out Otherworld Dicks. I also expect Snyder to be giving "fan-favorite" Blue Belle a more prominent role (as far as I know, Snyder himself is her biggest fan).