Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Default Thoughts on the SUPERMAN line Post-DC office move (or Convergence thing)

Any ideas on what we think the line will look like going forward, or hope it looks like? We'll be getting close to DAWN OF JUSTICE, so both of the World's Finest heroes should be at the forefront.

I hope Pak/Kuder stay on ACTION COMICS, but seriously up their game. I think Johns is likely to stick around for at least another arc, but he'll most likely have other commitments after that. I want to see JRjr stick around for a lengthy run on SUPERMAN, though.

SUPERGIRL seems to be in really good hands after such a strong start to the new team's run. Superboy will most likely be sticking around that title, for now. Hopefully they find something to do with him.

As for new titles? A new LEGION book could be folded into the SUPER-line, I could see that working well. Some sort of digital first is also likely.

Personally I'd like to see an offbeat CAPTAIN COMET title, a new LEGION, and a flashback title set during Bruce Springsteen/BORN IN THE USA SUPERMAN's early days.

What say you fellas?

I expect Johns will stick around roughly until the movie comes out. His name helps sells comics after all so they'll want the extra attention on Superman and at the rate Johns writes it'll take him that long just to finish a second arc. But once the movie hits I expect him to leave (if not sooner) as there will likely be a desire for a little synergy and Johns wouldnt fit that tone very well (its not the Silver Age after all). Plus, after that film the DC movie-verse kicks into high gear and they'll want Johns to help focus on Shazam, Cyborg, and the other characters coming up in live-action. Hell, its possible he might even leave monthly comics and focus on his job with DCE; at least for a while. Who will replace him, I couldn't say. But DC will want a solid, popular name. Who they can actually get is another matter.

Pak I suspect is on Action as long as he wants to be. Sales are consistent and solid; high enough so his editors are likely satisfied, but not so high as to open doors for new dream projects that could steal him away. Kulder, if I recall correctly, is a big Superman fan so he's not likely going to want to leave anytime soon. And with Idelson out of the editor's job the whole line seems much more relaxed and creator-friendly so the odds of them getting chased out seems lower.

Batman/Superman will likely get a new, big name writer as we get closer to the film; possibly Scott Snyder or some other high profile name. It might even receive a new #1 in time for the film. But since this is the title that shares a name with the movie, it'll see some serious shake-up and become a major focus for the "S" franchise (less so Batman, who sells crazy well already).

Superman/Wonder Woman will likely keep Tomasi around. He just started after all, and he seems to stick with titles for long stretches. I expect him to be on the book for at least two years.

I suspect Supergirl will maintain after Convergence; the creative team just got onboard and people like what they're doing so far.

Superboy *might* get a new title after Convergence, but a lot of damage was done to that character. I dont know if the "stink" will have worn off yet.

There may also be a new "S" title, one that fits nicely into the Man of Steel tone, to help capitalize on the movie. Possibly called "Man of Steel" but DC didnt go for the obvious name when the Man of Steel film came out (instead giving us Unchained) so who knows.

I'd *like* to see the t-shirt and jeans Superman get a book, or at least a good miniseries or arc within one of the titles. Post-Convergence it could be used to smooth over and explain away any changes made to the continuity.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I remember reading that Johns might stay for a while. I WANT Pak to stay for a little more. Hopefully Tomasi will stay a long time. As far a B/S I don't know.

I'm quite happy with all the Superman titles, their creative teams and what they're producing ... so, for me, hopefully, there won't be many (if any) major changes coming up any time soon ...

Fantastic Member

I really hope that Perkins, Johnson and Lupacchino get to stay on Supergirl, if the rest of their first arc is as good as their first issue. Maybe we'll see that Superboy & Gen13 book from Barbiere?

The only current creative team in this group I don't like is the one on SM/WW. Tomasi writes a terrible Wonder Woman, he has no business being on that book. Put him on Batwoman or something, that book needs a new writer badly.

BANNED

Batwoman is already sad right now, it doesn't need a Tomasi.

I would like if finally someone took the courage to do a Lois ongoing or mini, I see so many creators pitching a Lois book or wanting to do it. Peggy is having a very cool mini.

Superman line is mostly boring, I hope some change happen and take it of the same thing from the last 3 years. I wouldn't mind if Pak walked off, but that won't happen.

Astonishing Member

The Superman line is pretty set right now, it seems.

ACTION COMICS has a team that is well reviewed and quite collaborative, generally seems open to editorial direction. Kuder might choose to leave to make his fame and fortune in the creator owned realm, but otherwise I expect he'll stay around and hopefully have a defining run.

SUPERMAN has a very solid, big name team. I doubt will do less than 2 years on the title. Just not his style, especially with these big characters. JRJR came to DC for this, so I'd expect he'd likewise be on for about 2 years, especially with all Kick Ass engagements over.

SUPERGIRL I think maybe will transition to just being by Kate Perkins; it seems pretty clear that Johnson is there more to help with the transition into the comics format. She's doing a nice job, so I'm fine with that.

SUPERBOY I don't see returning as a solo consideration; perhaps paired with Gen13 or some other synergistic element. Even less likely is a CAPTAIN COMET book, fun as that would be with the right creative team. If they did exist, I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Spurrier on COMET and Seeley on SUPERBOY.

LEGION I'd rather not be much tied to the Superman line, especially with Berganza's tendency towards line-wide crossovers. I'd very much like to see someone like Ewing or John Hickman on that book, free reign to do as they like. Or, the number one choice, Grant Morrison.

Just generally, though, I don't think you'll see much in the way of changes here. Maybe the addition of a new book, starring Superman. I don't think the Springsteen flashback notion is very likely, especially after the failure of Team 7. But I wouldn't mind if Pak dedicated an Annual to it!
    Last edited by Deniz Camp; 12-07-2014 at 08:15 PM.

Only thing I could see being shook up would be the possibility of Superboy returning. Outside of that the teams are solid as it is. In the end though as long as Action stays the way it is, I'm open to pretty much anything else. Legion should definitely be rebooted and start with its Superman roots, but who knows if that's even slightly in the cards at this point, since they seem to be currently blowing their chance to start over there by using the same group in Justice League United.

It'd be cool if the line got a new editor, but that's just wishful thinking.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-07-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Astonishing Member

Expect more bland and overstaying crossovers.

Wake me up when someone similar to Mark Doyle takes Berganza's job.

BANNED

So no one thinks we might get kingdom come suoerman,pre flashpoint married with child superman,pre crisis superman,or daily star time frame superman in the future?

What about matrix? Put her in the white and blue outfit from the animated show and later Linda Danvers series

A Steel book?

Powergirl finally becoming PowerWoman,with her protege powergirl

Original Kon created by Kesel and Grummett back as the main SUPERBOY,while the current KON is traveling the multiverse?

Kon with gen 13?

Kon with the legion?

Kon staying at the school he and kara will be at? It could be a pseudo Ravers book,with young heroes traveling all over the universe being heroes?

A multiverse book all about the many suoermen out there?

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    So no one thinks we might get kingdom come suoerman,pre flashpoint married with child superman,pre crisis superman,or daily star time frame superman in the future?

What about matrix? Put her in the white and blue outfit from the animated show and later Linda Danvers series

A Steel book?

Powergirl finally becoming PowerWoman,with her protege powergirl

Original Kon created by Kesel and Grummett back as the main SUPERBOY,while the current KON is traveling the multiverse?

Kon with gen 13?

Kon with the legion?

Kon staying at the school he and kara will be at? It could be a pseudo Ravers book,with young heroes traveling all over the universe being heroes?

A multiverse book all about the many suoermen out there?
    No, I dont really expect any of that. Power Girl (Power Woman, whatever Karen's going by now) has the clout to carry a solo book with average sales, but as a part of the larger ensemble of the Earth-2 crowd she helps prop up those titles. I wouldnt say its impossible, but I find it unlikely that she'd split from World's Finest and Helena to headline her own title. I'd be fine with it if she did, (loved her last series) but I dont see it happening.

Superboy wont be getting a new book anytime soon. Too much damage was done to the character and there's a lot of road left to cover before he's a viable selling option again. I fully expect a new Superboy title within the next few years, I just dont think it'll happen after Convergence. Too soon.

As for various other versions of Superman from other continuities, no. We might see other versions of Superman in ensemble books (just as we've seen with the Beyond titles and Earth-2) but I dont think DC would invest in a solo title staring a different version of the character. They'd be more likely to invest that creative team, time, and money into a mainstream Superman title that they can synergize with easier.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Yeah I'm not looking for too much multiverse stuff. A lot of it is really cool, and should be used- but DC should steer clear of that mindset and instead focus on strengthening their already existing lines. Move forward, with new voices and visions.

I hope we're mainly seeing an influx of new creators. Keep Pak as the head of the SUPER-line, let Johns do his thing. I am hoping hard for an offbeat SUPERMAN title though, either set during his early years or about one of his fringe concepts. BATMAN has a slew of "indie" flavor books, so I'd like to see a few for SUPERMAN. Kara having space adventures with her new and interesting friends, is a direction I've long advocated. I wouldn't mind some new stuff, even if they end up being shots in the dark.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-08-2014 at 04:56 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

-Earth 23 Superman book would be very much appreciated. I remember Morrison lobbying for the idea of a Earth 23 Superman book. Morrison says that he'll be the breakout character of Multiversity by the end I think. I'd be just fine with a mini or maxi with the right writer.

-Thuderworld crossover books main Superman (yes Thuderworld hasn't even come out yet but...come on). A look at how the brighter simpler heroes interact with the more "realistic ones". A simple Black Adam in a world that seems a little darker. Superman classically teaming up with Marvel.

-Wanting a t-shirt and jeans Superman book since the end of the first arc of Action.

-I'd like to slowly but surly creep the Multiverse into the main lines with a book from there in almost each line ranging from mini's to maxis. I've said/thought for a very very long time that the Multiverse was the next stage in development for the big companies, and now it seems to all be coming true (more or less).

-From the actual main line? I'm not sure how much I care. Yeah I have a bast with Pak when I read him and enjoy Johns stuff but idk things still don't feel right. Less long decompressed story lines and more short and sweet off beat ones that take you on a ride through the (frankly still) new world of Superman. I think Pak or John's writing work wondrously with this in mind. I don't know about everyone else but I've had more than my fill of the "epic" long Superman story that "gets to his core".

-Superman family book that doesn't take itself 'too' seriously but isn't anywhere in the ballpark of a Tiny Titans or anything like that. Just a book where fun idea and interesting concepts can be tossed around with any member of the family. In here could be the stories that aren't "epic" enough for the main book. Revolving door of creators and artist to give the book a grab bag feel (as it should have). If I had the option or talent then this is the book I'd write for DC. Just seeing how far you could push the creative limits of this current Superman world in this one book.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-08-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Incredible Member

Just read an article on Newsarama (sorry, can't link it) that says Pak is staying on both Action and Batman/Superman after Convergence.I would be totally shocked if Johns didn't stay thru at least the premiere of BVS, especially since he's one of the producers. Like a previous writer said, I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson left Supergirl after the first arc, and just let Perkins write it, probably letting Superboy bet in it as well as he isn't ready for his own book. As for new books, maybe a new digital book since Smallville is gone, Id love a Lois mini or even a one shot, if done by a good writer, and I wouldn't be surprised if they put out a mini or something with Supes, Bats and their families to celebrate the movie.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I remember reading that Johns might stay for a while. I WANT Pak to stay for a little more. Hopefully Tomasi will stay a long time. As far a B/S I don't know.
    Yeah he stated he was going to be on for quite some time. Not sure if he'll stick to that or not but maybe he wants to make up for leaving in the middle of the New Krypton storyline.