Question MOS - Scout Ships and Kryptonians

So, I was watching MOS again...and I was thinking about some of the ideas explored (and plot holes such as Jor-El being able to fight Zod and Superman's suite on the scout ship).

First off, how old are Kryptonians? Is it possible that Jor-El was alive when artificial population control was established? (Making him much older than Zod - which is fine. The Zod from Krypton and the one that arrived on Earth look exactly the same, at least to me). This means that we would have a choice (to learn and to make decisions outside of the role of a scientist - like learning fighting).

Another theory is that Jor-El learned fighting from Zod (which also makes sense since Zod does refer Jor-El as mentor. It's possible that Zod taught Jor-El some of his tricks). Of course, this would mean that Zod himself violated his 'role' by teaching a scientist to fight.

Anyways, what of the scout ships?

Jor-El mentioned that these scout ships were sent to different planets, including Earth. Could this be addressed later? (Terra-forming was also mentioned, meaning that there could possibly be some Kryptonians in the galaxy, alive...other than the ones in Phantom Zone). Or there could be some other cross species - Daxamites is an example.

Could they be a hybrid of older Kryptonians and ancient Daxamite species? This could be explored in a GL film, one in which Sodam Yat is introduced.

Could Brainiac be tracking these scout ship (locations) and collecting those worlds? (This could be a great way to introduce him too...even though it's just like how Zod discovered Kal).

Is is possible that the Superman suite was made by the Scout ship? (By Jor-El's VR consciousness?) Another possibility is that the suite is the traditional dress of the house of El, before artificial population control was introduced (hence Jor-El not wearing it).

MM theory:

Is it also possible the Mars was one of the planets that was terra-formed initially, before Kryptonians fully mastered it (ended up badly for Martians - Mars' atmosphere reacted by inducing a giant flame killing most of the Martians). MM would go on a rage and kill the crew (of Kryptonians). He would then try to live and rebuild Mars. Later learns of Zod's scout ship on Earth and decides to visit Earth (To take his revenge or learn more of Kryptonians). This would setup a rivalry b/w MM and Superman (but MM would later learn that Superman is innocent).
    Last edited by Triple J; 12-07-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

A number of your questions are answered/addressed in the Man of Steel: The Prequel comic book (here's a video version) and the novelisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    So, I was watching MOS again...and I was thinking about some of the ideas explored (and plot holes such as Jor-El being able to fight Zod and Superman's suite on the scout ship).

First off, how old are Kryptonians? Is it possible that Jor-El was alive when artificial population control was established? (Making him much older than Zod - which is fine. The Zod from Krypton and the one that arrived on Earth look exactly the same, at least to me). This means that we would have a choice (to learn and to make decisions outside of the role of a scientist - like learning fighting).
    The artificial population control came into place long after the Great Expansion but having in vitro babies was something that was in place before the Expansion (see the aforementioned comic).

Another theory is that Jor-El learned fighting from Zod (which also makes sense since Zod does refer Jor-El as mentor. It's possible that Zod taught Jor-El some of his tricks). Of course, this would mean that Zod himself violated his 'role' by teaching a scientist to fight.
    Jor was more of a renaissance man, overall, and there is a 'science' to fighting - it may be more that Zod didn't expect Jor to put up such a physical fight and underestimated me (perhaps allowing emotion to get to in the way, too).

Anyways, what of the scout ships?

Jor-El mentioned that these scout ships were sent to different planets, including Earth. Could this be addressed later? (Terra-forming was also mentioned, meaning that there could possibly be some Kryptonians in the galaxy, alive...other than the ones in Phantom Zone). Or there could be some other cross species - Daxamites is an example.

Could they be a hybrid of older Kryptonians and ancient Daxamite species? This could be explored in a GL film, one in which Sodam Yat is introduced.
    We know from the book (with the story by Goyer) that Earth was never an (official) intended site for the ship that eventually landed on it, however it was captained by a member of the El family - Kal and Jor's distant ancestor: Kara Zor-El. The scout ship had Kryptonian embryos in the Genesis Chamber, and odds are that at least one of them was to be a male with ties to the House of El.

The official colonies and satellite areas may have some descended survivors living in new and different civilisations, and it may well be that Krypton was, in essence, a seeder-race.

Could Brainiac be tracking these scout ship (locations) and collecting those worlds? (This could be a great way to introduce him too...even though it's just like how Zod discovered Kal).
    I discussed an element of this with others on the boards before The Great Erasure back in April, tying it in to an event which occurred on our world back in 1977.

Is is possible that the Superman suite was made by the Scout ship? (By Jor-El's VR consciousness?) Another possibility is that the suite is the traditional dress of the house of El, before artificial population control was introduced (hence Jor-El not wearing it).
    This is addressed in the novelisation. There is an armoury and the suit was in there (further indicating that one of the embryos would be a male El).

MM theory:

Is it also possible the Mars was one of the planets that was terra-formed initially, before Kryptonians fully mastered it (ended up badly for Martians - Mars' atmosphere reacted by inducing a giant flame killing most of the Martians). MM would go on a rage and kill the crew (of Kryptonians). He would then try to live and rebuild Mars. Later learns of Zod's scout ship on Earth and decides to visit Earth (To take his revenge or learn more of Kryptonians). This would setup a rivalry b/w MM and Superman (but MM would later learn that Superman is innocent).
    Since Earth was never an intended destination, this approach isn't really a viable one. Remember, the Zod Crew had spent 33 years roaming the universe and visiting the colonies and outposts. They didn't know about Earth because it wasn't the official destination of that scout ship, so the Sol system was outside their search parameters.

If you want to have read, I wrote an 'alternate' approach to the movie, with some elements of your questions addressed: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1034627...h-to-the-movie

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    A number of your questions are answered/addressed in the Man of Steel: The Prequel comic book (here's a video version) and the novelisation.

The artificial population control came into place long after the Great Expansion but having in vitro babies was something that was in place before the Expansion (see the aforementioned comic).

Jor was more of a renaissance man, overall, and there is a 'science' to fighting - it may be more that Zod didn't expect Jor to put up such a physical fight and underestimated me (perhaps allowing emotion to get to in the way, too).

We know from the book (with the story by Goyer) that Earth was never an (official) intended site for the ship that eventually landed on it, however it was captained by a member of the El family - Kal and Jor's distant ancestor: Kara Zor-El. The scout ship had Kryptonian embryos in the Genesis Chamber, and odds are that at least one of them was to be a male with ties to the House of El.

The official colonies and satellite areas may have some descended survivors living in new and different civilisations, and it may well be that Krypton was, in essence, a seeder-race.

I discussed an element of this with others on the boards before The Great Erasure back in April, tying it in to an event which occurred on our world back in 1977.

This is addressed in the novelisation. There is an armoury and the suit was in there (further indicating that one of the embryos would be a male El).

Since Earth was never an intended destination, this approach isn't really a viable one. Remember, the Zod Crew had spent 33 years roaming the universe and visiting the colonies and outposts. They didn't know about Earth because it wasn't the official destination of that scout ship, so the Sol system was outside their search parameters.

If you want to have read, I wrote an 'alternate' approach to the movie, with some elements of your questions addressed: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1034627...h-to-the-movie
    So much reference to elements of Post-Crisis mythos...............
    I want to make love to this script

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Narrative View Post
    So much reference to elements of Post-Crisis mythos...............
    I want to make love to this script
    Are you referring to mine?

I figured that since Jor El's consciousness was in control of the ship he commanded it to create Kal's suit. It can travel across galaxies, it surely has a way to create clothes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Are you referring to mine?
    The whole mythos that Goyer used

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Narrative View Post
    The whole mythos that Goyer used
    Not sure which Post-CoIE stuff you read (and this isn't the thread for that kind of discussion) but we'll have to agree to disagree on that.