Super Moderator

Default Axel-In-Charge - May 12, 2014

In the second part of our wide-ranging conversation with Joe Quesada, the Marvel CCO talks "Original Sin" early days, "Marvel Universe LIVE!" and more.

Full article here.

I think I've made my thoughts clear -- as a business decision, I can't comment on that. They have to do what's best for them as a company, and this is obviously what they feel is best for them as a company. From an emotional standpoint, it's sad. It's a sad day because they've been a New York company for a very, very long time. It's no different from seeing any classic New York institution pack up their stuff and move. It's not like they're going out of business, but it's just sad to see it happen.
    It all has the feeling, like Quesada describes it, of DC as some amalgamation of the Brooklyn Dodgers (going to LA) and the New York baseball Giants (leaving Manhatten) in 1957... "Wait ’til next year!"

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

"...We tried to get a couple of takes, but it never got enough traction until Ed Brubaker came through, and he had an idea of how to involve the Watcher, but Ed also had to eventually pass on writing the project. But I kept hammering at the concept of "Original Sin" and even wrote a brief outline of how a lot of the mechanics of the story could work using Ed's brilliant Watcher concept. My hook was that a lot of the information was digitally stored in the Watcher's blood. That evolved into the Watcher's eyeball, which is even cooler...."
    Under Ed's guidance this event would have been a no brainer for me out of the gate. Sounds like Brubaker may have been slightly inspired by Dario Argento's Cat o' Nine Tails with the eyes retaining images... > And whether or not he was, it's a great concept for the Watcher.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

On the whimsical side I was tickled by the Iron Trooper image and wonder what colors Vader's helmet should use?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Based on the "Iron Trooper" gag, there's now no excuse not to do a Star Wars/Marvel U. crossover.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Booyah!
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Well this was a nice bonus. I have a feeling fans of Angela from the Spawn comics are going to be complaining about how she's being reconfigured for the Marvel universe. I can't say I blame them. But I also don't agree with them. Making Angela part of the Marvel universe basically requires that her origins be revamped. This isn't Spawn. This is Marvel. I think keeping her origins a mystery to this point have allowed some readers to basically make their own assumptions. Well that can't go on forever. Ambiguity gets old after awhile. Making her related to the Asgardians makes sense and opens the door to some interesting stories. They won't be the same as the stories in Spawn, but I think that's the point. This Angela is supposed to be different and so far, I like what has been done with her. I just hope she gets to interact more with the Avengers at some point.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Wow. First time I've read an interview on him. Quesada seems like a funny and thoughtful guy.
    Last edited by Zainu; 05-13-2014 at 07:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Well this was a nice bonus. I have a feeling fans of Angela from the Spawn comics are going to be complaining about how she's being reconfigured for the Marvel universe. I can't say I blame them. But I also don't agree with them. Making Angela part of the Marvel universe basically requires that her origins be revamped. This isn't Spawn. This is Marvel. I think keeping her origins a mystery to this point have allowed some readers to basically make their own assumptions. Well that can't go on forever. Ambiguity gets old after awhile. Making her related to the Asgardians makes sense and opens the door to some interesting stories. They won't be the same as the stories in Spawn, but I think that's the point. This Angela is supposed to be different and so far, I like what has been done with her. I just hope she gets to interact more with the Avengers at some point.
    I agree Angela's origins did need to be revamped if they were going to make her part of the Marvel Universe. And I agree that making her related to the Asgardians - well Odin, Thor and Loki at any rate - is an interesting way to do it. And I too like what they've done so far and would like to see her interact with the Avengers at some point, maybe even join them at some point?.