Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Mission: Warner Bros' "Suicide Squad," & Course-Correcting on a Black Female Hero

Joseph Illidge discusses how casting for Warner Bros' upcoming "Suicide Squad" film could address a problem of the studio's own making.

Full article here.

Spectacular Member
    Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Joseph Illidge discusses how casting for Warner Bros' upcoming "Suicide Squad" film could address a problem of the studio's own making.

Full article here.
    Amanda Waller is the kind of character I fell in love with during Justice League and Justice League: Unlimited. The actress in Arrow does nothing for me. Mostly, because she is a figure, but not a full character. We hear lots of talk about her, but only barely do we see her in a leading role (one that propels the plot, instead of merely servicing it).

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Oprah is prefect for this role. she is powerful, intelligent, sexy, and older woman of colour.. she isn't as big as past amanda, but she isn't a twig either.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

BANNED

I mean this in no disregard to the overall article, but what about Marvel Comics' Misty Knight ?

Who knows if she will make an appearance in the upcoming Iron Fist or Luke Cage series on Netflick ?

Invincible Member

I like pre-52 Waller for much the same reasons as the writer.

I'm not sure I'd exactly call her "iconic" though.

No mention of the third candidate, Octavia Spencer? She's also full-figured, and "browner-skinned" compared to, say, a Halle Berry or Beyonce'.

other options: Aisha Tyler, Mo'Nique (oscar winner!)..

whoever gets the nod, kudos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    Oprah is prefect for this role. she is powerful, intelligent, sexy, and older woman of colour.. she isn't as big as past amanda, but she isn't a twig either.
    Are we talking about the same Oprah? She's an idiot, thoroughly hateful, and guaranteed to ensure the film bombs.

Incredible Member RobertoDaCosta's Avatar

I love Viola Davis in How to get away with murder!
    would love to see her in this!!
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    Are we talking about the same Oprah? She's an idiot, thoroughly hateful, and guaranteed to ensure the film bombs.
    None of these things are accurate.

Despite her smaller size, I really enjoy Arrow's Waller. Just the sound of her voice is great.

Green Lantern Waller was little more than extra (and a scientist, what?) and I can't really recall what Smallville Waller did.

If you go purely on acting, they should just get CCH Pounder to do it.
    Altho I suppose she's not nearly big enough for the iconic version of Waller.

Oprah could be some interesting casting. I'm curious as to why she'd be interested. She doesn't need the money, and the rare times she acts in something, it tends to be a big issue prestige project (Selma, The Butler, The Color Purple, even the episode of Ellen where Ellen came out.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I was surprised too that there was no mention of Octavia Spencer, the third candidate, throughout the article. Unless the writer thinks she cannot pull off formidable. I agree that Oprah and Davis are the better choices though, especially Oprah for all the same reasons Scott M Davis mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Oprah could be some interesting casting. I'm curious as to why she'd be interested. She doesn't need the money, and the rare times she acts in something, it tends to be a big issue prestige project (Selma, The Butler, The Color Purple, even the episode of Ellen where Ellen came out.)
    I guess for the pure thrill and newness of it all. I don't think even she would've guessed she'd be considered for a superhero movie/universe, unless in a cameo playing herself.

I'd rather see Yvette Nicole Brown or Chandra Wilson

Frankly I find this highest attitude towards the character to be WRONG WRONG I SAYS

Spectacular Member

Signing up Oprah will ensure that the movie is a hit.
    Will generate tons of cash for WB from the female demographic.