Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I don't get why they're not just putting everything on The CW, where they've had commercial and critical success. Supergirl on CBS, Gotham on Fox, Teen Titans on TNT, Krypton on Syfy? Why? Not to mention that the policy for Superman and Batman on TV seems entirely to be "let's beat around the bush for x number of seasons".

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeoStar9X View Post
    As for a how a show like this work when Krypton is going to be destroyed? Easy. Krypton blows up at some point but not before Kandor (where you could focus much of the show prior) is captured by Brianiac. Story continues with the survivors of Krypton and their struggle against Brainiac. Maybe some escape the bottle and engage in the ultimate game of hide and seek aboard Brainiac's ship.
    Wrong showrunner for anything remotely close to that possibility. If it were Greg Berlanti or Geoff Johns behind the development of this project, you could maybe hope to see something as 'comicbooky' as the bottle city of Kandor. David Goyer wouldn't be caught dead introducing a concept like that. Not gritty and grounded enough, even for his vision of space and aliens.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Could you bring in some martians or hawk people I wonder? New Gods? Any other alien races or planets or was Krypton just alone in whatever neck of the universe it was in before it blew?

I dunno, still strikes me as a dumb idea.

Extraordinary Member

I could see this maybe working with Jor El as the protagonist.

At least that way you would get Jor El, Lara, Zod and Ursa/Faora as regular characters.

If you aren't going to use any known characters why even call it Krypton?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    Wrong showrunner for anything remotely close to that possibility. If it were Greg Berlanti or Geoff Johns behind the development of this project, you could maybe hope to see something as 'comicbooky' as the bottle city of Kandor. David Goyer wouldn't be caught dead introducing a concept like that. Not gritty and grounded enough, even for his vision of space and aliens.
    This is true. Nice to hope though.

I’m willing to give this show a try, but between “Krypton” and “Gotham” it feels like DC is absolutely petrified to do a live action television show with either of its two biggest heroes (in costume). And I don’t know why. I think Flash is an awesome show, and Arrow borrows heavily from elements of the Batman mythos.

No matter how many viewers a show like Gotham gets (neither praising or criticizing it here), a live-action Batman television show would explode. With his lack of superpowers, a limited episode series format on a platform Netflix (comparison to Daredevil) or HBO could do the character justice with a decent budget (I read that House of Cards, for example, had a $100 million budget).

Granted, Superman might pose more of a challenge, but he’s also had an actual show in the past (Lois and Clark, anyone?).

I’m not saying these prequel shows aren’t worthy, but DC could completely dominate television if it went all in with their most popular characters. They could even set themselves up for a Flashpoint-like crossover between their television and film universes down the line. And I say this as a huge Marvel fan.

The constant foreshadowing inherent in the concept would probably turn it into a tiresome environmentalist soapbox and anti-military-industrial-complex soapbox story. It will be all about how "if we keep following this path we'll destroy our planet!" with the weekly villain being a big oil equivalent or a drone-strike equivalent.

All-New Member

Yeah, it wouldn't be enough for Goyer to have made Superman depressing and Constantine boring. DC should just give him permission to ruin all of their characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    Isn't he the reason we got a giant cloud for a big baddie in Green Lantern...?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

DC/WB is going to water-down the brand so hardcore. Just let the films do their thing and give us a new SUPERMAN animated series- air it on the CW if you have to, prime time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    I’m willing to give this show a try, but between “Krypton” and “Gotham” it feels like DC is absolutely petrified to do a live action television show with either of its two biggest heroes (in costume). And I don’t know why. I think Flash is an awesome show, and Arrow borrows heavily from elements of the Batman mythos.

No matter how many viewers a show like Gotham gets (neither praising or criticizing it here), a live-action Batman television show would explode. With his lack of superpowers, a limited episode series format on a platform Netflix (comparison to Daredevil) or HBO could do the character justice with a decent budget (I read that House of Cards, for example, had a $100 million budget).

Granted, Superman might pose more of a challenge, but he’s also had an actual show in the past (Lois and Clark, anyone?).

I’m not saying these prequel shows aren’t worthy, but DC could completely dominate television if it went all in with their most popular characters. They could even set themselves up for a Flashpoint-like crossover between their television and film universes down the line. And I say this as a huge Marvel fan.
    Gotham so far is a much better show without Batman than it would be with him.

But for Warner, there is no upside to putting Superman or Batman on the small screen right now. A wildly successful series would still not turn as much profit as a moderate motion picture, and no matter how good it is (or bad) would cut into the sales of any motion picture, not enhance them.

I don't think this show would even appeal to Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Gotham so far is a much better show without Batman than it would be with him.

But for Warner, there is no upside to putting Superman or Batman on the small screen right now. A wildly successful series would still not turn as much profit as a moderate motion picture, and no matter how good it is (or bad) would cut into the sales of any motion picture, not enhance them.
    I think you and I just have an honest disagreement on this. Although I agree with your point that no television franchise would generate as much revenue as a blockbuster film, I disagree with the assertion a television series would cut into the sales of a motion picture.

DC for example, is presumably going to continue the Flash television program, even as they have announced a new Flash film is in the works with a different actor.

From my point of view, exposure of a character in comics/animated forms/toys/video games/films all increase the likelihood that a fan who enjoys the character in one media form will be interested in others. Watching Game of Thrones led me to read the books. When I was a child, the Spider-Man animated series was what led me to read the comics, so that by the time the first movie came out it was almost a foregone conclusion that I would see it.

But I respect your opinion, and I look forward to seeing how the dual Flash show/film plays out.

Spectacular Member Sad Superman's Avatar

Sounds expensive.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Could be good... Maybe...?